WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default coming Spring 2019 - Dyneema tent from a major manufacturer

I just read on outsideonline.com that Big Agnes will be coming out with a 1-pound Dyneema free-standing tent in 2019.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

That will be a good trick. Freestanding frames sturdy enough to hold up a freestanding tent weigh a pound. Plus or minus.
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That will be a good trick. Freestanding frames sturdy enough to hold up a freestanding tent weigh a pound. Plus or minus.
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
    Wayne
    Feels like a flashback to sierra designs Dyneema....$1500ish 1 man dent....

One of my biggest blowbacks this year was the release of TT at the price point they chose, I really thought they were going to come in under the cost of zpacks
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Feels like a flashback to sierra designs Dyneema....$1500ish 1 man dent....

One of my biggest blowbacks this year was the release of TT at the price point they chose, I really thought they were going to come in under the cost of zpacks
    There’s a photo/illustration at Outside Online. The same silly single front entry carried over from all of their other silly single front entry tents. That’s so 1960s.
    $750. So they can offer them for half price at Steep and Cheap.
    Moving right along.
    Wayne

Agreed. Although I do own and sometimes use the Fly Creek 1 I have to say the front entry and the vestibule fly design is pretty dumb and uninspiring.
    ...and the Fly Creek's half ass freestanding function is also disappointing. (fixit!)
    The side entry on the copper spur is much more to my liking ... but let's see something new BA , innovation, new ideas please.

There’s a photo/illustration at Outside Online. The same silly single front entry carried over from all of their other silly single front entry tents. That’s so 1960s.
    $750. So they can offer them for half price at Steep and Cheap.
    Moving right along.
    Wayne
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    . . . The side entry on the copper spur is much more to my liking ... but let's see something new BA , innovation, new ideas please.
    New isn't always better. The Copper Spur's more truly self standing, side-entry design is heavier than the fly creek design. If you are going for lightest, at least mostly self-standing and not trekking pole supported, you can't do much better than the fly creek design. If you want side entry, you have to pay the weight penalty. It sounds like BA is going for lightest, which is not going to be a copper spur.

Of course, one pound does sounds little optimistic.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

https://www.outsideonline.com/232864...-retailer-2018

For convenience...

The Neo-air looks far more interesting of the lot actually. Others have been pushing the fabric choices and Thermarest had yet to jump in.

A carbon fiber pole set could help round things out actually.

At the end of the day the limiting factor on these tents is always the poles. That's why so many cottage folks from tarp tent to zpacks do what they can to dodge them.

It's also partially why a tarp tent looks like a tarp tent and a front entry tent looks like it does.

There is only so much innovation you can cram out of 3 poles and a custom hub...

What I see there isn't a one pound tent with a ****ty front door...
    I see a very generous SUL bivy style shelter at one pound.

The problem Cuben does solve is getting one ounce or less waterproof floors that don't shred everytime your tent brushes a stiff blade of grass. So the basic bathtub and net inner looks like a good choice to reduce the feel of sleeping in a plastic bag (the bigger problem with a cuben dome tent).

Will I buy it... probably not... but much better pricepoint (and product conversion) than sierra designs chose when they tried.
    You might not find it on the shelf at REI... but you won't be signing up for a 5-6 week wait with little or no chance of a return so I'd think it will find some traction if it makes it to standard retail.

They don't seem to be producing the light up drink coozy for 1L smartwater bottles filled with Knob Creek so I suspect that product will flop

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    They don't seem to be producing the light up drink coozy for 1L smartwater bottles filled with Knob Creek so I suspect that product will flop
    That’s 2 pounds of deadweight I wouldn’t object to carrying. Or maybe the Maker’s 46 I already have.
    Decisions. Decisions.
    Wayne

That’s 2 pounds of deadweight I wouldn’t object to carrying. Or maybe the Maker’s 46 I already have.
    Decisions. Decisions.
    Wayne
    The 100 proof appeals to my SUL side... but really I don’t see how you can go wrong.
    about the only way to blow it would be using the 20 oz bottle instead of a full liter
    18B10267-3FBF-4922-A421-7C2B4F152A25.jpg
    Last edited by Just Bill; 07-23-2018 at 19:54.

I wonder what the width is on the Neo-Air. I just can't sleep on a narrow 20" pad and for some reason, the wide pads usually are only available in the long versions. There are some exceptions, but not from the lightweight Neo Air line. I e-mailed them once and asked why they don't make a standard length, wide version. They were kind enough to write back and say it's because nobody wants that. I guess I am a nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I wonder what the width is on the Neo-Air. I just can't sleep on a narrow 20" pad and for some reason, the wide pads usually are only available in the long versions. There are some exceptions, but not from the lightweight Neo Air line. I e-mailed them once and asked why they don't make a standard length, wide version. They were kind enough to write back and say it's because nobody wants that. I guess I am a nobody.
    Perhaps we should start a movement. Bombard them with requests for 24” widths in all lengths and models.
    A quick look at the Exped catalog reveals numerous wide standard length models.
    Wayne

Images

A quick look at the Exped catalog reveals numerous wide standard length models.
    Useful to know. I've had much better sleep on my Exped double pad (on my half, natch) than my Neoair.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've mainly switched over to Exped... primarily due to performance in hammocks rather than any real issue with thermarest. The Xtherm remains the gold standard for a single do it all pad IMO.

The only real issue (quite apparent in hammocks on a breezy night) is that they do not insulate the outer edges. The inner tubes are the only ones that have the synthetic insulation that lets them do better in hammocks.
    The first one I got was the Duo- which is excellent for me and a kiddo to share.
    But the selection of sizes is much better than thermarest which I too find odd.
    The inflation system is far superior as well.

That 8.8 ouncer is bound to be 20" for a year or two. Thermarest is respectably cautious with new offerings. Others are using this lighter fabric already and they are late to the game. I'd suspect it will be a standard 20x72 to start for a season before any other sizes pop up.

You are a common nobody as usual Todd despite your screen name... when folks are willing to take a scissors and iron to a $200 pad and cross their fingers... you know you're missing a size.

That said- not getting political but when in rome....

Perhaps what could be done would be a campaign for a WOMENS pad in wide. https://www.rei.com/product/881598/t...ing-pad-womens

This was always my UL solution when splitting between the too small small and the oversized large.
    It also has a slightly higher R value which lets you push this pad further into the season than the other neoairs.
    The 66" length works well, and I think a 25x66 would be a sweet pad for many.

SO... I believe hashtags are the way you get this sort of thing done.
    #nopaddiscrimination
    #Womencomeinallshapes
    #outdoorsforall
    #equalwidthsforequality
    #25forall

I think that's all you have to do- give it 24 hours and check REI's website and everything should be resolved.
    #Yourewelcome

For side sleepers the narrower pad isn’t so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    I’m closing in on 6 months of nights on my Xtherm Large. Confirmed side sleeper. I moved up after decades on 20” wide devices. Hated them.
    Wayne

If you are willing to take a chance, you can make a short pad out of a long one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

here is one thing I loved on my old school tent. It was a tunnel tent just like many current manufacturers offer (Hilleberg, Fjallraven etc...). As such the 'aerodynamic front is very similar to the Fly Creek where basically if you unzip the entry you are fully exposed to the falling rain or snow.

However my oldie tent has one additional zipper that was tailor cut in such a way that when unzipped it created an overhang awning. It was only attached to two tiny paracord strings and I loved how I could just unzip the whole tunnel and cook on the grass while still somewhat protected from the overhang 'roof'
    (edit for the record this is not a photo of my tent but it looks incredibly similar. I just couldn't find one of mine with the drop front down.)
    Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 07-26-2018 at 07:38.
    Let me go

I just read on outsideonline.com that Big Agnes will be coming out with a 1-pound Dyneema free-standing tent in 2019.
    This has been making some noise over the internet world and outdoor pages.
    Looks like mountain hardware has some stuff lined up as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++