WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I just read on outsideonline.com that Big Agnes will be coming out with a 1-pound Dyneema free-standing tent in 2019.
    From what I understand, they're using .34 oz DCF for the fly and .51 oz for the bathtub......seems pretty sketchy to use this on a thru anything longer than a weekend as that's pretty thin material, even for DCF on parts of the shelter that can take a beating. Pretty steep costs at $800+, prob going to stick with cottage stuff till they prove worthy and come down in price a bit. Interesting they're bring DCF to bigbox stores though.

Tarptent just announced their new Stratospire Li. (DCF)
    It's got a 45" wide floor, so they're calling it a two person tent, and I think it's around 27 oz, including stakes and stuff sack.
    ...I think it's a .51 fly and a 1.0 bathtub.
    No price yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    It's got a 45" wide floor, so they're calling it a two person tent, and I think it's around 27 oz, including stakes and stuff sack.
    No price yet.
    P.S.
    The 45" wide floor is wider than their SS1 and narrower than their SS2.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Perhaps we should start a movement. Bombard them with requests for 24” widths in all lengths and models.
    A quick look at the Exped catalog reveals numerous wide standard length models.
    Wayne
    There are instructions on how to take a long/wide pad NeoAir and cut it down to a short/wide, with only 1-2 oz penalty from a short/narrow. I agree, a 20" width just doesn't allow me to rest on my back, and I'm not that big a person.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    There are instructions on how to take a long/wide pad NeoAir and cut it down to a short/wide, with only 1-2 oz penalty from a short/narrow. I agree, a 20" width just doesn't allow me to rest on my back, and I'm not that big a person.
    I’m not saying that you’re dumb.
    But cutting up a perfectly good air mattress is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. As dumb as cutting up a Long sleeping bag to remove one baffle to make it a regular length bag.
    I’ve seen both discussed here at WhiteBlaze.
    I certainly wouldn’t cut 6” off of my Xtherm Large to make it a Wide Normal. My first 3 air mattresses were Shorts. I’m not going back there either.
    I’ll carry an extra ounce or three for the level of comfort that I have.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’m not saying that you’re dumb.
    But cutting up a perfectly good air mattress is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. As dumb as cutting up a Long sleeping bag to remove one baffle to make it a regular length bag.
    I’ve seen both discussed here at WhiteBlaze.
    I certainly wouldn’t cut 6” off of my Xtherm Large to make it a Wide Normal. My first 3 air mattresses were Shorts. I’m not going back there either.
    I’ll carry an extra ounce or three for the level of comfort that I have.
    Wayne
    If someone has the guts to cut into a $200 pad to better suit their purpose... more power to them.
    I don't understand why Therm-a-rest doens't come out with a Wide/Standard model given how much that comes up (if you want wide, you MUST get a long).

True. We are free to do as we please with our stuff.
    I just ran the numbers. 20 ounces divided by 77 inches = 0.26 ounces per inch. Given the taper and rounded end of the last 6 inches, I wouldn't expect the removed portion to weigh more than an ounce.
    So, we have the answer: A Wide Standard length Xtherm doesn't save enough weight to justify another model in the inventory.
    A $240 pad. I'm thankful I bought mine on deep discount from REI when I did.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    No price yet.
    Now THAT is a tent I've been waiting to see...I always said I'd love to own a Stratospire in DCF as I love the modularity of the design, just hate silnylon.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Now THAT is a tent I've been waiting to see...I always said I'd love to own a Stratospire in DCF as I love the modularity of the design, just hate silnylon.
    What problems do you have with silnylon?
    Before buying my StratoSpire 1 (you might remember it from the WRR trip, I read all of the silnylon sagging horror stories here and elsewhere on the internet. The StratoSpire 1 has failed to exhibit ANY of the complaints I feared. The tent remains drum tight after wild temperature changes and/or several hours of rain.
    I really enjoyed using the 20 ounce rain fly alone in Wyoming.
    Henry builds good stuff!
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++