WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Segment 3... overnighter tomorrow!

Gonna do a quick overnight trip through segment 3 tomorrow. Thinking about stopping at mile 7 (campground) or mile 8 to camp for the night. The campground is obvious but wondering what kind of camping there is at mile 8? I'd rather not stay in the campground but wife & daughter might if it has a bathroom! Any advise or information relative to this segment or the camping situation at mile 8 would be greatly appreciated!

Journal Entries

Campground is a car camping campground used by weekenders, horse riders, and mountain bikers. It has vault toilets.

Campsites on trail are a flat spot near water.

Most hikers dont go on overnight hikes then prefer to sleep in campgrounds with rvs and generators .....but to each their own.

" De gustibus non est disputandum"
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2018 at 11:22.

Wife and daughter may be expecting their version of a bathroom back home or in a restaurant. They aren't. They provide privacy but they are still fancy outhouses, a hole in the ground. I think you're referring to Meadows group CG. Fire rings, picnic tables. https://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...verviewsection

Segment 3 is a heavily used mountain bike area. I got tired of jumping out of the way of bikers all day. But I was there on Labor day weekend, so that might have had something to do with it. Look out for blind switchbacks. I nearly got run over a couple of times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Wife and daughter may be expecting their version of a bathroom back home or in a restaurant. They aren't. They provide privacy but they are still fancy outhouses, a hole in the ground. I think you're referring to Meadows group CG. Fire rings, picnic tables. https://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...verviewsection
    Dont know difference, same location. The two are half mile or so apart
    https://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...O&parkId=70052
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2018 at 12:38.

Vault toilets at both. No water at Buffalo. Meadows Group has a water hydrant but campers should bring their own water. Strange.
    Wayne

Thanks for all the replies... Got segment 3 completed. As was mentioned, there were plenty of mountain bikers on the first half of this segment! Got to mile 8 where I thought we might camp but trying to keep the dog out of the stream and off the road didn't seem like much fun so we filtered some water and headed to mile 9 where the datebook suggests there's some decent camping. Of course 15 minutes before we got there it poured rain and hailed while we took cover for maybe 30 minutes? This area had taken some serious hail the day or two before. Most of the trail was covered in pine twigs that got snapped off from the storm. At mile 9.0 to probably 9.5 there are plenty of good places to camp so we stayed the night there. Less than a two hour hike this morning took us to the rolling creek trailhead to get our vehicle. It was a pretty easy and relaxed hike. Weather cooperated for the most part which was nice. Looking forward to segments 4 and maybe 5 next month!

++ New Posts ++