WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default GSM shuttle bus shown on map

My National Geographic trail map for the Smokies shows a shuttle bus in the legend and on the map in a very few places: Laurel Falls trailhead, Sugarlands Visitor Center, Elkmont Campground, and Gatlinburg. Don't see any other spots.

Is this shuttle bus still in operation? Who operates it? Where can I find a schedule? Park website gives me nothing except rules and advice for people who want to bring a tour bus into the park. Is the shuttle (if it exists) only for the synchronous firefly viewing?

I am guessing that the bus in question is the Gatlinburg "trolley". It drives around Gatlinburg and Pigeon forge hauling tourists. I don't know of any other bus service in the area. Google Gatlinburg trolley and you will more than likely find the same stops that are on the National Geographic maps.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the suggestion, Burrhead. I did as you suggested, but found no indication that the Gatlinburg trolley goes into the park.

I think the shuttle bus must be the seasonal bus for the fireflies. If so, hardly seems worth putting on the map.

Images

its seasonal but runs june through october...

need to look at the route page...

https://www.gatlinburgtrolley.org/routes

It would be very nice to have a trolley service that would go from NOC to NFG, Cades, Clingmans, Over into Cherokee...It would eliminate traffic in the park, as well as keep yahoos from parking on 441 and causing traffic jams every dern time they see a bear they think is a pet, would eliminate congestion in these limited parking areas as well I think it would be a pretty cool open air ride up the mountain.

response to all naysayers: "Other NP's do it"
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It would be very nice to have a trolley service that would go from NOC to NFG, Cades, Clingmans, Over into Cherokee...It would eliminate traffic in the park, as well as keep yahoos from parking on 441 and causing traffic jams every dern time they see a bear they think is a pet, would eliminate congestion in these limited parking areas as well I think it would be a pretty cool open air ride up the mountain.

response to all naysayers: "Other NP's do it"
    not sure why you want to include the NOC in this or if open air ride through a temperate rainforest is really a very good idea.

a shuttle at least between gatlinburg and NFG seems reasonable though/ ive heard vague suggestions that something like that once existed. i would guess for whatever reason ti wasnt having the desired outcome.

Images

It would be very nice to have a trolley service that would go from NOC to NFG, Cades, Clingmans, Over into Cherokee.

there used to be one...

however, many people would rather drive in the own car or whatever, so the bus did not have that many riders...

and was not making money.....

not making money meant shutting it down....

Images

i should state----the shuttle bus that im talking about went from gatlinburg to cherokee.......'
    and not over towards the cove...

Journal Entries

Except for the Cades Cove loop and the occasional bear sighting elsewhere that brings all traffic to a standstill, we've not experienced terrible traffic congestion on park roads. Trailhead parking is another story. Popular trailheads get overloaded, and a shuttle might help with that.

Reason I was asking is that I'm beginning to be drawn towards the notion of hiking all 800-900 miles of GSMNP trails. Probably already halfway there anyway. Haven't decided to go for it, but thinking about it had me looking at areas and trails* I'd never considered before. And then I saw the shuttle bus on the map, and thought it might help with the logistics of some non-loop hikes. Fortunately, we live close enough that it's not a great inconvenience to bring two vehicles and do our own shuttle. >>> Adding to the congestion!

*Hemphill Bald

Images

And then I saw the shuttle bus on the map, and thought it might help with the logistics of some non-loop hike

yeah....

when i did my 900----if i couldnt hike back to my car----it was either a shuttle service (maybe used 3 times) and mainly hitchhiking...

i have found that to be the easiest way to get to point to point..

however, i would usually count on that method on popular roads...

balsam mountain road i would not rely on a hitch...

did successfully get a hitch on the road going into cataloochee though (from the asheville side)....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

when i did my 900----if i couldnt hike back to my car----it was either a shuttle service (maybe used 3 times) and mainly hitchhiking...

i have found that to be the easiest way to get to point to point..

however, i would usually count on that method on popular roads...

balsam mountain road i would not rely on a hitch...

did successfully get a hitch on the road going into cataloochee though (from the asheville side)....
    Agree about Balsam. We drove Heintooga Rd several months ago - wow, that's seriously backcountry! The Hemphill hike is a loop, so we'll do that with one vehicle.

Funny, we don't hesitate to give a lift to an obvious backpacker/hiker at a remote road. But areas with a lot of tourists are different. Definitely hesitate to offer a ride, and hesitate to ask for one. Something we'll have to work on...

Images

and hesitate to ask for one. Something we'll have to work on...

while it does work both ways (hikers and tourists), i find it's easier to get a ride with a tourist....

usually those type of people want a good story about being in the backcountry........

and i am happy to give them one.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When it comes to joining 'The 900 Miler Club', there are several loops that can be done without a shuttle if you're willing to walk a few miles along the roads.
    Examples:
    Gregory Ridge, Gregory Bald, Parson's Branch Road
    Abrams Falls Trail, Hannah Mtn Trail, Parson't Branch Road, Forge Creek Rd, Cades Cove Loop Rd.
    Rich Mtn Rd, Indian Grave Gap, Rich Mtn Tr, Ace Gap Tr, Beard Cane Tr, Cooper Rd Tr, Cade Cove Loop Rd.
    Balsam Mtn Campground, Heintooga Ridge Rd, Flat Creek Tr, Balsam Mt Nature Tr.
    Pretty Hollow Gap Tr, Mt Sterling Ridge Tr, Balsam Mtn Tr, Balsam Mtn Rd, Palmer Creek Tr.
    Bridge @ Smokemont Campground, Smokemont Horse Concession Rd/Tow String Horse Camp Rd, Tow String Hourse Tr, Tow String Concession Horse Tr.
    (and many more)

Journal Entries

Helpful info, HooKooDooKu. I think maybe I'll print that out and put it in Etnier's Day Hiker's Guide that I bought today at REI.
    Thank you.

Journal Entries

The Galingburg NOC runs (or used to run) a ?free? shuttle from them to NFG. I took that shuttle on my 2013 thru back to NFG.

I kayak on the little river in the smokies, and have hitchhiked a shuttle dozens of times. If you look the part (wear a life jacket, or have On the backpack) you get a ride pretty quickly. Some random dude with a thumb out is gonna get passed over, but someone that looks like they are on a mission to do something extreme, piques the interest of tourists. You'll have a million questions. Pay your fare by answering them and be engaging.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    I kayak on the little river in the smokies, and have hitchhiked a shuttle dozens of times. If you look the part (wear a life jacket, or have On the backpack) you get a ride pretty quickly. Some random dude with a thumb out is gonna get passed over, but someone that looks like they are on a mission to do something extreme, piques the interest of tourists. You'll have a million questions. Pay your fare by answering them and be engaging.
    AT Thru hikers usually get treats to boot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    AT Thru hikers usually get treats to boot.

If i pick someone up, I'll puff down with them....

++ New Posts ++