WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sure. Spin away.
    Wayne

A lot of tough guy bad asses in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    You guys are tough. Is it possible she had a serious medical issue and simply thought she had overcome it?
    We'll never know because the article has no mention of what kind of illness she had. Overheated? Food poisoning? Bad diarrhea? Migraines? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    In 2014 I was at times very literally crawling through the HMW after I smashed my knee. It never occurred to me to call for SAR extraction -- I mean, of course it hurt horribly, but I wasn't bleeding uncontrollably, hadn't hit my head and wasn't in fear for my life. I had shelter and I had food and God knows I had plenty of water (epic rain!) I figured I had gotten myself into the problem and would have to figure out how to get out of it. I just stayed in place for a couple days to see if it could get any better, and then when I realized I had to call it quits I was able to reach a spot with a teeny amount of cell service and call the AT Lodge. Coordinated a spot for them to pick me up the next day -- a mere 4 miles that took me almost 6 hours. (Always & forever a huge shout out to AT Lodge!)

Not trying to sound tough, because I'm not, and I think the area she was at is much more difficult than where I was, but yeah -- I'd really have to be on fear for my life in order to call for rescue.

I hope she's okay and glad no one on the team got hurt.
    Excellent point!!! I share this general mindset---get out on my own. Of course I was raised without a phone in my shirt pocket so easy escape or rescue was never a viable alternative. And there is probably a strong tendency nowadays for hikers to flippantly call for rescue at the slightest discomfort---not saying this is true in her case though---the article is woefully short on details.

Your other point---STAY IN PLACE FOR A COUPLE DAYS---is the magical potion for backpackers in extremis. I've used this technique countless times to weather food poisoning with vomiting, explosive diarrhea, toothaches, broken toes, walking pneumonia, and the debilitating sickness of Depression etc.

Many backpackers get sick on the trail, especially in the beginning of their hikes. I think I remember Eric Ryback talking about his AT thruhike in 1969 when he got very sick for several days and holed up in his tent.

It could relate to how people deal with sickness at home. Some go to the doctor or clinic at the first sign of problems. Others stick it out and never see a doctor and it passes.

As many have mentioned, we simply do not know the full story. She may have taken some zero days in hopes of recovering or tried, but failed, to get out on her own.

No matter her situation, I have a general question regarding rescues.....who pays for the expenses. Is the evacuee billed for all expenses or are these public services? Does this vary by locality? @StarChild
    Last edited by DownYonder; 07-20-2018 at 11:22.

Images

a question for all the "oh sure you're all tough on the internet" people.

assume for a minute she goes back on the trail again and gets rescued a 3rd time. and then a 4th, a 5th.... dozens of them all the way down to georgia. hike, resuce, hike, rescue, hike, rescue.

at some point, surely, all of you would find that ridiculous behavior i would hope, yes?

well at what point does it become ridiculous?

i don't know the answer, but the opinion that twice within a couple hundred miles is already over the line is perhaps not totally crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    As someone who has worked evacuating people, and also has assisted NH Fish and Game, NY Forrest Rangers, and the Forrest Service in the 'Smokies', I do have something to say about your post.
    Immediate threats and discomfort aside, one also has to take a look at long term heath effects on stuff like this. Pushing thru could mean a lifetime disability. Not calling to alert them, or a friend when you had the chance to let them know, even if you didn't need rescue, is also potentially calling for a much larger search if things go wrong when you are out of cell service. For that I don't commend what you did, there are people who want to help out and who devote their careers for this purpose, people who care that you are fully able to hike and enjoy hiking again.

With that said I don't know the circumstances in your case, but that attitude of self rescue and self reliance often works, but at a unneeded cost, and sometimes just makes things worse if one misses opportunities for help.
    I understand and respect what you are saying here. And this is the part where I'd say every situation is unique and we all make the best decision we can, the decision we think is right for our unique situation at the time.... And that applies to this young woman as well.

I did not mean to imply any judgement of her in my post, but it did come off as sanctimonious and self-righteous. I regret that.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Oh and I meant to add, for what it's worth -- I had actually been in touch with my family and they knew what my situation was and where I was.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

.who pays for the expenses. Is the evacuee billed for all expenses or are these public services? Does this vary by locality?

it varies....

here in the Smokies-------it's free...

and here's a link about new hampshire..

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/law...ement/sar.html

and more detailed..

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/law...t/funding.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    As many have mentioned, we simply do not know the full story. She may have taken some zero days in hopes of recovering or tried, but failed, to get out on her own.

No matter her situation, I have a general question regarding rescues.....who pays for the expenses. Is the evacuee billed for all expenses or are these public services? Does this vary by locality?
    For many rescues I'm familiar with I would surely hope the participants would have to pay for their extractions. Reminds me of 3 guys from South Carolina who planned a 10 day January trip in the Smokies and were terribly unprepared---See---

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...kies-/4313377/

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

assume for a minute she goes back on the trail again and gets rescued a 3rd time. and then a 4th, a 5th.... dozens of them all the way down to georgia. hike, resuce, hike, rescue, hike, rescue.

at some point, surely, all of you would find that ridiculous behavior i would hope, yes?

i don't know the answer, but the opinion that twice within a couple hundred miles is already over the line is perhaps not totally crazy.
    Paying for such rescue would curb such abuse. How would I feel if I called for rescue and the helicopter crashed? Or a rescuer got pit viper bit or fell to his death? Calling out is the last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Do stories like this come from the Rockies? I’m genuinely curious. Perhaps people along the Continental Divide are better prepared, self reliant and often lack cell coverage long before they reach the trailhead.
    Once again I would like to know the whole story.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne
    In the western mountains, there is rarely any cell coverage, even at trailheads or along roads. When I hike alone (as I usually do) I am extremely careful and prepared, leave an itinerary at home, and hope for the best. I expect that's pretty standard.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

I get what you are saying and agree. Perhaps this lady is just extremely unlucky and got hit with 2 unrelated random illnesses, or perhaps she's prone to making bad decisions...with the details presented we don't know. 2 rescues in that short of a period of time with the lack of details provided definitely raises a red flag though.

The reality is we are free to do whatever we want as long as we aren't breaking any laws, and if for sake of discussion she is making bad decisions to go back out too soon then there could be another rescue. It's just like the recent thread on the man that drowned in the Kennebec, and people were bashing the police officer who didn't stop him...he wasn't breaking any laws so why would the officer stop him. It's part of living in a society. Not everyone is going to make intelligent informed decisions, and some people have mental disorders that don't allow them to make such decisions.

As for the "pay for the rescues crowd" I've gone back and forth on this one. On one hand that should theoretically stop any abuse of the system, but then on the other hand you might have people taking more risk because they are afraid of dealing with the bill they will get later.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    The reality is we are free to do whatever we want as long as we aren't breaking any laws, and if for sake of discussion she is making bad decisions to go back out too soon then there could be another rescue. It's just like the recent thread on the man that drowned in the Kennebec, and people were bashing the police officer who didn't stop him...he wasn't breaking any laws so why would the officer stop him. It's part of living in a society. Not everyone is going to make intelligent informed decisions, and some people have mental disorders that don't allow them to make such decisions.
    not for a second endorsing the idea that she should be officially stopped from going back out in any sort of legal way.

i doubt it will play out this way, but it would be interesting if she continues doing this and racks up or 8 or 9 rescues by the time she reaches, lets say, central VA.

would the relevant SAR people have the ability to find her and inform her that if she calls them for rescue they are not responding?

probably not, but they should. this idea, perhaps not stated so boldly but present and underlying the position of many never the less, that we somehow have a right to be rescued needs to end. for myriad reasons.

this reminds me of the hikers in GCNP a few years back who, on the same trip, twice set off their PLB because they had run out of water.

reminds me of people who get back to back DUI's in a short period, like 24 hrs.

Journal Entries
    Images

I did see an article that included a photo of a a rescuer holding what looked like an IV that had been administered.

http://www.sunjournal.com/ill-hiker-...lachian-trail/

I am not very knowledgeable about such matters, but to me that suggests their presence was a good thing.

Stuff happens.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-20-2018 at 15:55.

On the topic of who pays for SAR:
    $3/year in Colorado helps defray some of the cost of SAR. As I said earlier, my granddaughter and I have CORSAR cards for an upcoming trip to Colorado.
    https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/cardPurchase.jsf
    Wayne

There are reasons men don't live as long as women. Pushing through serious illnesses, the what doesn't kill me makes me stronger... until it kills me... attitude, embarrassment at asking for help, a whole lot of people are found dead of heart attacks with a giant bottle of Tums next to them.

My daughter has hyponatremia, which causes headaches, dizziness, weakness and such when her salt levels get too low. Trying to drink more water can just make the problem worse. This is just one of hundreds of odd little undiagnosed conditions that can cause medical issues on the trail for perfectly competent and prepared hikers.

Stop with the name calling and try to offer your fellow hikers some sort of useful support and information.

Maine does not charge for rescues. It come out the fish and game budget.

NH does charge unless a hiker buys a Hike Safe Card for $25. Even a Hike Safe card does not prevent billing for "reckless or negligent related rescues"

Journal Entries

Its pretty much a given imo this person excercised poor judgement in some fashion for this to occur.

But its still a good thing they are ok. I for one dont want to come across sick or injured persons and take responsibilty for helping them if theres an option they could have excercised.....and likely no one else here do either.

You can argue need for self reliance, preparedness, etc
    But most AT hikers dont fall into that category today. All they need is that cell phone.....when it works. But it dont always, as Ms. Largay experience demonstrated.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-20-2018 at 18:57.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Sure are a lot of psychics taking part in this discussion. It’s the only way to explain the detailed conclusions being drawn from one sparse article.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Sure are a lot of psychics taking part in this discussion. It’s the only way to explain the detailed conclusions being drawn from one sparse article.

Nope.
    Calling for rescue twice in two weeks
    While 99.99% of hikers dont in a lifetime

Screams "something not right ". The statistical chance of it happening without poor judgement is tiny.

Given obvious odds, giving them benefit of doubt would be a poor bet. So why would anyone? Its illogical.

Other than its the "polite" thing to do, that is.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-20-2018 at 19:26.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++