WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    This is one of the reasons I decided to go with Osprey this time around instead of buying another Arc pack...it may be another 20oz more in weight after being stripped down but it carries better, even to the point that I don't notice the pack itself at all (my legs notice the weight I'm carrying, but not my shoulders or hips).
    Not knocking your particular Osprey choice as that's the point I'm making, lol.

But I don't think it's even that bad a swing anymore.
    A Levity vs a plain Arc is only an 8 or 9 ounce ding. Less if you add padding and ding dongs to your Arc series which many seem to do.
    Trick that Arc pack out and you get close to or over $400.
    Catch that Levity on sale and you pay $200 or less... with enough money to darn near buy a cuben tarp or buy a 850 fill down quilt.

That's considering they messed up the levity and exos this year in my opinion. But the Exos or gregory version of the levity only add a pound vs the base Arc pack with some seriously sturdy fabric involved overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Not knocking your particular Osprey choice as that's the point I'm making, lol.

But I don't think it's even that bad a swing anymore.
    A Levity vs a plain Arc is only an 8 or 9 ounce ding. Less if you add padding and ding dongs to your Arc series which many seem to do.
    Trick that Arc pack out and you get close to or over $400.
    Catch that Levity on sale and you pay $200 or less... with enough money to darn near buy a cuben tarp or buy a 850 fill down quilt.

That's considering they messed up the levity and exos this year in my opinion. But the Exos or gregory version of the levity only add a pound vs the base Arc pack with some seriously sturdy fabric involved overall.
    I picked up an Aura 50L out of desperation when the vertical stays on my Arc Haul bent overnight after it was packed and left in my truck...the day before my Collegiate Loop hike. The Aura is heavier than the Exos but the confort definitely makes up for it and I can get it down to 3lbs 8oz which is very little difference when compared to my tricked-out Arc Haul at 34oz. I didn't like the new Exos or Levity for fit once it had weight in although I do have a bramd new 2017 Exos packed away that I can't get to right now (would have saved me some money if I could). I bough it while there were still some available for future use. I don't love the utility design of the Aura quite as much as the Arc Haul (water bottle pocket access being the prime one) I still like it and find it as easy if not easier to hike in than the Haul

I have an ArcHaul Zip and personally consider it a 30lb max. However, that fits perfectly with my other gear weight, so I never come close to its stated max weight. Could it carry 40? Sure, for a short period. I probably wouldn't find the pack nearly as comfortable as it is below 30 though. Under 25lbs and it is amazing.

I think ZPacks is suffering from growing so fast. They moved from their original market to more mainstream, and that has hurt them. I do believe a significant percentage of their negative press is from people who probably shouldn't have bought UL gear, but saw it on Youtube/Facebook/Instagram from another hiker and thought it was the best pack for everyone. It is not. I buy all my UL gear knowing it is less durable, more likely to break or rip, and that I need to be mindful of how I treat it. I see some hikers being rough on UL gear, and they probably complain later about how it is junk for not lasting long. I would NEVER drop any of my Arc packs on the ground, especially with the frame arced, but I see people do it all the time. No wonder it snaps. (Granted, I do know that ZPacks had a frame design flaw/issue at one time, and any of them can break even with the utmost care.)

Journal Entries

Write the following sentence 100 times:

"A conventional pack will make
    30+ lb feel lighter than it ever will in an overloaded lt wt pack."

I have no experience with arc haul
    But...
    At 22 lb baseweight
    You should be considering Osprey, gregory, deuter, etc.
    You will be happier, and your gear might actually fit into pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-18-2018 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I think ZPacks is suffering from growing so fast. They moved from their original market to more mainstream, and that has hurt them. I do believe a significant percentage of their negative press is from people who probably shouldn't have bought UL gear, but saw it on Youtube/Facebook/Instagram from another hiker and thought it was the best pack for everyone. It is not. I buy all my UL gear knowing it is less durable, more likely to break or rip, and that I need to be mindful of how I treat it. I see some hikers being rough on UL gear, and they probably complain later about how it is junk for not lasting long. I would NEVER drop any of my Arc packs on the ground, especially with the frame arced, but I see people do it all the time. No wonder it snaps. (Granted, I do know that ZPacks had a frame design flaw/issue at one time, and any of them can break even with the utmost care.)
    Yeah, you do have to baby UL gear more which is why I was surprised the stays bent in mine (and while not even in use). I treat my gear like it's a nuke that could explode...very delicately (my pack still looks almost new after 2 years). I still don't know why the foam in the shoulder straps warped and shrank so bad....wasn't expecting that from being exposed to some extended sun in a tote for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Write the following sentence 100 times:

"A conventional pack will make
    30+ lb feel lighter than it ever will in an overloaded lt wt pack."

I have no experience with arc haul
    But...
    At 22 lb baseweight
    You should be considering Osprey, gregory, deuter, etc.
    You will be happier, and your gear might actually fit into pack.
    I can attest to this. Even with a 13lb baseweight and a full load of food and water my pack felt like it carried lighter in the Osprey than it did in my Arc Haul (still under the 30lb mark). I love them both though in different ways.

"It's hard enough teaching someone how to pack a traditional pack or communicating the importance of how to carry that load as is."
    "Add in the fancy turtle shell tricks and that problem compounds."
    If we can find and watch youTube vids and read and write WB posts and threads about everything else including our long winded ones, of people applauding and complaining about gear, how great our kits, how light our kits, "how to hike the AT" , FKT's, stove comparisons, etc etc etc ad nauseam we can access general Tips On Packing A Backpack on youTube or directly from pack manufacturer's sites. I dont buy it's all that hard to access this info or tersely teach it. OMG REI Backpacking Associates are overheard on how to pack a backpack in 2-3 short sentences. We're talking about backpacking. We should learn how to pack backpacks, our backpacks our kits. We should learn how to to care for and adjust our packs...NO matter the category of purchase. Be a student of what you're involved. Right? Am I being overly forward assuming it doesn't take a Einstein IQ to comprehend we don't want excessive wt hanging far off our bodies...WEARING ANY PACK?

Any gear can be handled incorrectly. There is no such thing as fool proof gear, fool proof designs, or a perfect marketplace. That's why Osprey, Gregory, etc, and gear warehouses/Oufitters like Backcountry, Moosejaw, REI, etc also have Customer Service, Repairs and Parts, Returns and Exchanges, and Warranty Depts and/or claim procedures. A backpack buyer of true UL Cuben(Dyneeema Composite) gear from ZPacks should intimately grasp the possible extra TLC the gear possibly(likely) will require. It's been said umpteen times in warnings. ZPacks does a very good job of accurately detailing their gear and recommending how to use it. I don't recognize massive marketing hype from ZP. I recognize a UL company being quite transparent.
    "In the wrong hands Zpacks in general and the arc series in particular has a high propensity for user error and several caveats need to be added."

I disagree. Again, stupid is as stupid does. Any gear in incapable hands can lead to issues. There is nothing super difficult about using Zpacks packs.

I have an ArcHaul Zip and personally consider it a 30lb max. However, that fits perfectly with my other gear weight, so I never come close to its stated max weight. Could it carry 40? Sure, for a short period. I probably wouldn't find the pack nearly as comfortable as it is below 30 though. Under 25lbs and it is amazing.

I don't agree with your statement that all ultralight light gear needs to be babyed. I think it is better said that, when it comes to UL packs, Zpacks Arc series packs need to be. I personally have experience with both ULA and Gossamer Gear packs and have found they hold up extremely well. With regard to cuben packs, the Section Hiker rated the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest pack as one of the toughest he has ever used (Outdoorgearlab confirms this).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I don't agree with your statement that all ultralight light gear needs to be babyed. I think it is better said that, when it comes to UL packs, Zpacks Arc series packs need to be. I personally have experience with both ULA and Gossamer Gear packs and have found they hold up extremely well. With regard to cuben packs, the Section Hiker rated the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest pack as one of the toughest he has ever used (Outdoorgearlab confirms this).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    Easily summarized by stating that the lighter the equipment, the more care needs to be taken.

Used my Arc Haul on several 1-4 day hikes and a 2 week AT section hike. Probably around 350 trail miles. Not sure what my official base weight was, but I’m a light weight hiker and average pack weight including food, fuel, water was about 25 lbs, maxed out around 32-35 lbs after a resupply or when doing Sherpa dad duty.

It was comfortable the whole time. At heavier weights I noticed the flat hip belt carbon fiber stay, but it didn’t really bug me although it was noticeable. I also used the additional hip pad which helps.

Overall I love this pack. I prefer the thinner shoulder straps - after a few hot days on the trail, they molded right to me and feel like a custom molded/made pack. I also like their hip belt’s thinner material in the front (buckle ends) and sides since they easily form to my body and transfer weight well. The hip belt’s 2 straps on each side also enable me to snug the hip belt right on my hips. My only gripe is that I’d like to have more padding around the sides of the straight/flat bottom stay. It’s not as comfortable as an Osprey Atmos, but it doesn’t slip down my waist like the Atmos did.

Arc Haul has been a great pack for me. I tried the Exos, Atmos, and ULA Circuit prior to settling on the Zpacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used an Arc Blast on my thru. There were some design problems that were being addressed that resulted in my pack being replaced half-way through. However, I never had any problem putting my pack on the ground. The bottom of the pack seems to be reinforced and it held up well. I have never seen an Arc Zip but do have a comment on it. If you are thru hiking then you will have your gear very streamlined, if not at the start then definitely shortly after. At the end of the day, when I got to camp, there wasn't a single thing that didn't come out of my pack. I emptied the entire thing because I used most everything in it every day. I almost never needed to access anything in my pack during the day because everything I needed was in the mesh pocket or at the very top inside my pack. Because of this I have never been able to figure out what the advantage of the zip would be on the Arc Zip. Just my opinion but keep in mind the only thing on my pack that ever failed was the zippers on both of my belt pouches. I was told that this was expected wear and was not covered under warranty.

Journal Entries

With the weights you are considering (22lbs base weight), I would never consider such a flimsy frame pack. On my thru hike, during the summer I was down to 11-17 lbs total weight, and those are the numbers I may consider ditching a solid frame, and perhaps 2 lbs in the process. Yes it may be less weight, but having a solid frame makes a huge difference in comfort, even at the expense of weight. Going over 30 lbs total weight I like to go external frame, as I am already carrying a lot, may as well be as comfy as I can be doing it.

As said above, put the savings into some other gear - I love my z-pack Heximid. And cuban for a tent makes a lot more sense then a pack (less abrasion and receptive stress then packs, and excellent shedding of water)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I have been considering the ZPacks Arc Haul Zip, and curious to hear from others about their own experience and assessment of how well it carries. According to ZPacks, it has a 40lb max limit, but I know full well that there is a big difference between how much a pack *can* carry and how much you can *comfortably* carry in it.*

My current shoulder-season base weight (which can take me down as low as mid-teen night temps) is just under 22lbs. Once I add a couple of liters of water, that jumps up to nearly 27lbs...then adding food and other consumables, it's possible my total pack weight could end up as high as 35lbs (or more?! <gasp!> )

While I understand that there is a certain amount of subjectivity here, my question is, in your experience, can the Arc Haul Zip still be comfortable carrying 35lbs?

Thanks for any info or insights.
    I can't comment specifically on the Arc Haul Zip, but this is my 3rd season of using an Arc Haul. I have a little over 2500 miles on mine and it appears to be going strong. (I may have just jinxed myself with that last statement...)

My average total pack weight is 22lbs. My max carry weight has been 30lbs with this pack. It still felt ok (for me) at that weight. I am not sure I would want to push it much past that weight on a consistent basis. I use the optional belt pad, but would most likely not be comfortable with the frame bar digging into my back at 35lbs. Some people seem to notice the frame bar more than others. Adding weight to the pack makes that bar more noticeable. Based on my experiences, I wouldn't recommend this pack for a consistent pack weight of 35lbs or more. Others might disagree. It does matter what you are packing, how you load your pack, and how the pack fits your body. This pack really isn't the right fit for heavier pack loads.

As for the overall construction of my Arc Haul, while I am mindful of how I treat my gear, I haven't exactly babied it. I do set it on the ground, but I don't tend to go off-trail with it. I check it periodically to make sure I am not incorrectly packing items that might cause rub spots to the pack. That seems to have served me well, as the pack is still looking pretty decent. No holes, tears, or failures to date. I don't feel like I can call my pack "flimsy" in any way. It has served me well and I have been quite happy with my purchase. As with any gear, gear failures happen. Some batches of materials prove to be lesser than others, stitching issues can occur, etc.

Thank you all for your info, anecdotes, opinions, and advice. Exactly what I asked for and what I wanted -- needed -- to hear.*I am going to go back to looking at Osprey (the ventilation on the back is the common denominator and a big selling point for me.)

Re-reading my own post and thinking honestly about it, I guess I had been hoping that I would be able to skate by with a lighter pack if it was just my *heaviest* base weight (i.e., for the coldest weather) that was heavy (does that make sense?) But since by far the most hiking that I do is during the shoulder seasons, it would be stupid to spend the money for a pack that would A) be overpacked and likely uncomfortable most of the time, and B) a set up for wear, tear, failure, and frustration even when I use it with my summer weight. (I have purchased various UL and cuben items and understand the inherent limitations.)*

I'm comfortable and frankly very happy with the pack load I have now and doubt I would go much lower -- certainly not just for the sake of getting a lightweight pack.*

Thanks everyone.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Please disregard the random *'s.... I guess I'm seeing stars.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

-

I reworked the archaul hip belt with an old mountain smith precurved belt - added 3 oz - big difference for day after day comfort

still consider it to be practical with a (short time) max 27

question is - what is the the next logical step up for weight, real suspension without a great weight penalty

IMO the ULA's are out - they have great durability (modern version of gregory) but start out on the heavy side

hyper lite has crazy pricing, and the hip belts look minimal

ospreys are the popular compromise but are not doing the weight vs comfort as well as zpack

-

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Thank you all for your info, anecdotes, opinions, and advice. Exactly what I asked for and what I wanted -- needed -- to hear.*I am going to go back to looking at Osprey (the ventilation on the back is the common denominator and a big selling point for me.)

Re-reading my own post and thinking honestly about it, I guess I had been hoping that I would be able to skate by with a lighter pack if it was just my *heaviest* base weight (i.e., for the coldest weather) that was heavy (does that make sense?) But since by far the most hiking that I do is during the shoulder seasons, it would be stupid to spend the money for a pack that would A) be overpacked and likely uncomfortable most of the time, and B) a set up for wear, tear, failure, and frustration even when I use it with my summer weight. (I have purchased various UL and cuben items and understand the inherent limitations.)*

I'm comfortable and frankly very happy with the pack load I have now and doubt I would go much lower -- certainly not just for the sake of getting a lightweight pack.*

Thanks everyone.
    so now the question is what alternative?

Good question, and I agree with your previous statement about Osprey being a compromise. I'm wanting some good back ventilation, but I'm not sure it will save me any weight.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

My current pack weighs 61.6oz. (3lb, 13.6oz)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "It's hard enough teaching someone how to pack a traditional pack or communicating the importance of how to carry that load as is."
    "Add in the fancy turtle shell tricks and that problem compounds."
    If we can find and watch youTube vids and read and write WB posts and threads about everything else including our long winded ones, of people applauding and complaining about gear, how great our kits, how light our kits, "how to hike the AT" , FKT's, stove comparisons, etc etc etc ad nauseam we can access general Tips On Packing A Backpack on youTube or directly from pack manufacturer's sites. I dont buy it's all that hard to access this info or tersely teach it. OMG REI Backpacking Associates are overheard on how to pack a backpack in 2-3 short sentences. We're talking about backpacking. We should learn how to pack backpacks, our backpacks our kits. We should learn how to to care for and adjust our packs...NO matter the category of purchase. Be a student of what you're involved. Right? Am I being overly forward assuming it doesn't take a Einstein IQ to comprehend we don't want excessive wt hanging far off our bodies...WEARING ANY PACK?

Any gear can be handled incorrectly. There is no such thing as fool proof gear, fool proof designs, or a perfect marketplace. That's why Osprey, Gregory, etc, and gear warehouses/Oufitters like Backcountry, Moosejaw, REI, etc also have Customer Service, Repairs and Parts, Returns and Exchanges, and Warranty Depts and/or claim procedures. A backpack buyer of true UL Cuben(Dyneeema Composite) gear from ZPacks should intimately grasp the possible extra TLC the gear possibly(likely) will require. It's been said umpteen times in warnings. ZPacks does a very good job of accurately detailing their gear and recommending how to use it. I don't recognize massive marketing hype from ZP. I recognize a UL company being quite transparent.
    "In the wrong hands Zpacks in general and the arc series in particular has a high propensity for user error and several caveats need to be added."

I disagree. Again, stupid is as stupid does. Any gear in incapable hands can lead to issues. There is nothing super difficult about using Zpacks packs.
    Regarding Zpacks quality control and product overall- I'll agree with Soulmodeler and leave it at that.
    I'm not hating on zpacks or Joe... I greatly admire what he's done but understand a few things as a person who makes a little gear that gives me a slightly different perspective.
    Generally speaking-
    Zpacks makes specialty high end gear. Specifically long distance hiking on established trails gear.
    Probably best for moderate to expert level experience users. Einstein level IQ, no. But a few seasons and a few hundred nights on trail makes sense.
    I agree with you that Zpacks isn't chasing these folks down or marketing to them. I agree they are not trying to lure anyone away.

Perhaps better than skill or experience is simply style.
    Not everyone:
    Likes packing a streamlined single main compartment pack.
    Is willing to portion out snacks or other items for the day.
    Moves with minimal stopping.
    Carries water in the same way or location.
    Has the discipline or packing style to keep everything in the main body all day.
    Carries SUL water treatment, camp shoes, ditty bag, or the dozens of other little odds and ends that can be found in brains, stuffed in mesh pouches or found clipped on the sides or rear of a pack.

By design... any arc style frame pushes the load (regardless if properly loaded or sized) away from your body and onto the frame itself.
    The frame then attaches to your hip belt to transfer that load to your hips.
    If all is going well; little if any load is on the shoulders and the shoulder straps are there to prevent the load from spilling backwards.

The common complaint is regarding the 'frame' digging into the lumbar area.
    That's part design, part material selection, and part customer issue.
    The arc dumps the load there by design, it's likely only a 1/4" CC foam piece to catch it, and likely customers over load or mis-load the pack from time to time which causes the arc to enter at a bad angle.

The additional lumbar pad accessory would likely help this quite a bit.

Since I see Joe is also making shoulder strap pads to add on... I can see that Joe is addressing a CUSTOMER issue, not a design one.
    Namely that some customers are not packing in a manner that keeps the load in line and transferring smoothly into the hipbelt.
    They may be packing too many 'during the day' heavy items in a handy spot or doing what worked in the past with other packs.
    They may have crocs on the back, or a full shelter in the mesh panel, or even a bladder tucked in the very top so it's easy to get to.
    They may not be storing water up front as a counter balance, or using a hip belt pouch or front pack to carry ditty bag and food items.

Common packing advise (heavy= high, and tight) may not apply well to any arc style pack, but this pack in particular.
    That standard REI speech would steer you down the wrong road. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...-backpack.html

An arc style frame functions better with weight in the bottom half to 1/3. (by height) And in the near 1/3 to half (by depth)
    For a standard LD hiker that is typically a food bag sitting on top of a sleeping pad or shelter. Maybe sleep clothes or spare socks. At best a few inches.
    That's opposed to filling the bottom 1/3 by building a base of sleeping bag and clothes and building up. Typically the bottom 10" of a 30" pack.

If carried- a cook kit or ditty bag goes on the food bag and starts to creep into the shoulder area of the pack and ideally your 'column' of heavy stuff is spanning roughly 16-20" high to about 2/3 of the pack's height.

Sleep clothes, spare clothing, and sleeping bag are then packed around that column to stabilize and fill volume.

If used... Shelter typically occupies the upper third along with a puffy or stop piece... your first items out.

A quick deploy tarp, damp ground sheet, or other item may go in the mesh pocket or be transferred there after your first day out of town when the food bag volume is too great. Though many LD hikers simply store these items outside the trash compactor liner rather than load them outside.

On a typical day a wind or rain shell, bandana, or minor items may reside in that mesh panel pocket.

More and more LD hikers are moving water bottles to the front, and daily food/navigation/ditty bag items to a front pouch too.
    Functionally this acts as both counter balance and in the same manner as load lifters in a more traditional pack.
    It reduces the chance the Arc frame can tip back and dig in as well.
    It can also be handy to have everything you need upfront and visually accessible in a style that involves little to no stops... but realize it or not it is also doing quite a bit to increase the comfort of the pack.
    One could also go so far as to say that without this particular style of packing a lightly framed and padded pack like the arc series will struggle to function as designed; especially as you exceed 1/2-2/3rds of the maximum load capacity (20-27 pounds for the haul).

IF you have shoulder pain or the frame digging into your lumbar area- then the arc frame has tipped out of it's intended vertical plane. (or you simply have too much weight).
    IF you cannot loosen up the shoulder straps and load lifters and feel the weight transfer cleanly to the hipbelt then you may want to repack or consider adopting some front packing strategies.

When done right... Joe's arc series design does represent one of the most innovative versions of framed packs.
    It does require some help from the user to function as designed. Like all UL gear; it does require an educated customer who knowingly accepts the limitations.
    For you Dogwood... these 'limitations' already match your style, philosophy, and gear selection so well that they seem very natural and intuitive.
    For a Scout, REI customer, weekend warrior, or casual backpacker... these can be pretty large leaps to hurdle in philosophy and style.
    In fact words like philosophy and style can sound pretty durn pretentious when talking about carrying **** around and walking in the woods.
    General backpacking is overall quite a bit different than typical established trail methods and is not a smooth transition for all.
    Simply evolving from 60L+ and 40lbs or more to a 20L/20lb mark can take a lifetime of trips to master.
    A level of effort many weekenders just looking to get their once a year vacation accomplished enjoyably may not want to deal with.

The more robust butterfly style frame, backed by the various meshes, trampoline suspensions, custom molded foam, traditional fabrics, and consistent manufacturing from a professional cut&sew contractor are all reasons that the Osprey packs allow more flexibility and user error. Unlike Joe's basic SUL/cottage 10x6x30 rectangle body... osprey packs have a much more rounded and turtle shell style pack body that further reinforces the load transfer of the arc frame. They are not perfect, they are perhaps not ideal for long hour walking, long distance, established trail hiking. But they are pretty sweet for section hikers, weekenders, and those getting going with LD hiking. They won't hurt you.

There are simple, subtle, but significant design choices in each pack.

Without knowing anything about a person... I can fairly comfortably steer them to an Osprey or Gregory if they want this ventilated style pack.
    These days... that comes with little or no weight penalty and some advantages in price, customer service, and above all- in person shopping.
    Toss in an REI membership and if that medium needed to be a large when you finally get a chance to squeeze in a few weekend tune-ups over a summer... it can be exchanged with no issue.

The simple truth with Zpacks or other highly specialized gear is the same as mentioned above- if you're asking the question the answer is no.
    As in... that informed and ideal buyer who should be using the pack, will use it well, and deeply enjoy it... doesn't need any help coming to that conclusion.
    Nine times out of ten... they know there is a problem and the answer they actually need is for someone to help them put a finger on what the problem is.

Zpacks has plenty of testimonials and 'street cred' among LD hikers to keep them busy for some time.
    In fact I'd probably think that Joe would prefer that folks not casually recommend buying his packs.

His best customers are the ones who select his packs on their own.

While watching a you tube video and buying gear based upon a one and done first time thru-hiker's opinion is common... it isn't wise.

Though to be fair... more than ever before one's first real trip can be a long distance trail... but no need to pigeonhole yourself into a style before you step on the trail.
    Backpacking gear involves an evolution of choices, trips, and personal style.
    A bad pair of shoes and a bad pack prevent someone from staying on that path. You can make lots of other mistakes and survive... but those two are not ones most overcome.
    That's why I mentioned another 'stepping stone' to the OP. He's closer, but needs another step or two closer so he doesn't have to leap too far.
    Eventually the zpacks bag may be ideal, but he needs to stay on the trail long enough to get there on his own.
    And if his trail doesn't lead to that very specialized style... he's got a solid general purpose tool to keep him comfortably out in the woods in the meantime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++