WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hostel Services

Default Hostel Services

I'm starting to plan a thru-hike attempt for 2019. I'd like to be able to do laundry and shower, roughly, every 3-5 days. Do hostels normally allow hikers to get a shower and wash clothes without staying the night, or are those services normally only for over-night guests. I'd like to be able to get clean without, necessarily, paying for a night indoors. Is this sort of info in AWOLs guide?
    Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

The basic answer is: it depends.

Some places will allow you to pay for a shower and/or laundry without a night's stop.
    Most places won't -- particularly laundry. The latter will probably have to be done at a commercial laundromat.

The guides will often state something along the lines of "Night's stay $xx; showers without stay $x." If you don't see the latter, it would be best to contract the hostel ahead of time to find out their protocol.

Whatever you do, DON'T repeat my mistake!!
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...t=#post2159298
    [follow what happened after I posted this]

Some hostels will let you just take a shower. There are a handful of free and coin operated showers along the trail. Free ones are generally solar heated and not very warm - especially if your last in line. Coin operated are at campgrounds.

laundry is a different story. Many hostels do the laundry for you and is not an on demand service. They expect you to stay the night so they can do the laundry when they get the chance.

Personally, I find it well worth the expense (which isn't all that bad) to stay at a hostel and get the full services, especially the ride to town, which otherwise can be a pain to get to and back. The only Hostel I regularly skip is Standing Bear just north of the Smokies. I spend the night at Davenport Gap hut, then go over to Standing Bear and buy lunch and enough food to get to Hot Springs. I'll stay at Hot Springs 3 days later.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In Shenandoah National Park (SNP) the Park's campgrounds have showers ($1.75 for 5 minutes, coin machines available). All the hostels I know of from Waynesboro VA to Waynesboro PA charge for showers and laundry. Let me know if you need a list of campgrounds or hostels.

Pi
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    In Shenandoah National Park (SNP) the Park's campgrounds have showers ($1.75 for 5 minutes, coin machines available). All the hostels I know of from Waynesboro VA to Waynesboro PA charge for showers and laundry. Let me know if you need a list of campgrounds or hostels.

Pi
    [email protected]

I'll check AWOLs guide and the websites of the major parks, but any additional or first hand experience advice is always appreciated!

We listen to hikers and charge a flat rate of $30 which includes, bunk, linens, shower, laundry, all soaps, towels, wash cloths, boot dryer and free shuttle.
    http://www.facebook.com/thestationat19e
    http://www.thestationat19e.com

The washing schedule you imagine will not be the one you end up with. They don't view us as a mob of stinky thruhikers for nothing. For me an actual no kidding washing machine is about a 10 to 15 day event. Hand wash in a sink or rinse in a creek and then hung on my pack will happen to those essential items as needed. Embrace the stench

I grabbed a gallon Ziploc bag and filled it with clothes, water, and a few drops of liquid soap (dual purpose for general washing dishes, body, etc). Mash it all around for about 5 minutes, empty, fill with water and another couple minutes they come out "somewhat" clean. Hang on your pack to dry while hiking. Worked great until I could get in town and do them properly. Most hostels require a stay with laundry. Shower is a lot easier, most charged around $5, but you can do this in the woods as well from time to time. Once everything is smelling good and clean, it only takes a day for the funk to come back so make sure you break down and wash your pack in town as well (where they allow it, some have signs saying no packs).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post

Pi
    [email protected]
    I'd love a list.

I have the shelters list from: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shelters-2016.php

I keep looking for a list like that for hostels.

Thank you!

Journal Entries

Pretty simple.
    Shower and wash clothes only when spend night in town to resupply.

Your really gonna waste time doing it any other way.

And your really gonna want that dry bed and restaurant food weekly too.

++ New Posts ++