WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camp Rapidan - SNP

I first hiked to Camp Rapidan in late June and have been back several times. In the late 1920's - early 1930's President Hoover frequently vacationed there and invited world leaders to join him. It's a gentle 1.8 mile hike from the Milam Gap area and really worth the side trip. There are 6-8 of the original buildings still there and the foundation of others. A NPS volunteer just arrived at the camp and opens up the buildings every day. On Sunday afternoons there a shuttle from Byrd Visitors Center to the camp at 1400. Reservations required. Caution - lots of large snakes around the remaining structures and mowed areas. They're mostly large water snakes, though rattle snakes and copperheads have been reported this year.

I did a NPS tour to there a couple of years ago. It was a beautiful setting and an interesting place. I didn’t see any snakes, for which I’m quite glad. :-) The group DID see a bear, though. I loved the stream that ran through the camp.

That’s a beautiful spot to have lunch and a look around.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

An interesting place for the history - not real impressive though. Guess that's why FDR said no thanks & built what was to become Camp David...
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++