WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Kinda tough to do going backwards...you aren't ever supposed to turn your back on a bear, and probably don't want to get below them either. What if the cubs had still followed out of curiosity? Then the dude would really have no way to go...can't keep going backwards like that. And any noise or excess movement might have triggered the mama's more aggressive response. She looked pretty chilled in the video so I'm guessing the guy didn't want to up the ante at all.
    Good point.Is it just me or did he seem more intent on photography or survival? I also note he passed by either one or two intersections on the trail-no way to know if they would have continued to follow or not.Mama bear seemed pretty calm but that can change in an instant of course.Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5vENjxCyg

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Good point.Is it just me or did he seem more intent on photography or survival? I also note he passed by either one or two intersections on the trail-no way to know if they would have continued to follow or not.Mama bear seemed pretty calm but that can change in an instant of course.Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5vENjxCyg
    I think his instinct was to head back to the TH and a more populated area. It would have been mine too. I think he just continued to film because, well, at that point why not. He couldn't have done any thing more to ensure his survival; he was calm, walking slowly backwards, talking low, no sudden movement. Those side trails might have been a possibility, but he still might have been followed and then would have been further from people if something went wrong. I feel, from my own point of view, that he did everything right that he could have. He had to have a LOT of adrenaline dumping in his system at that point and people don't think clearly when that happens...I think he did great for the situation he was in.

Yep,some of us may have dumped more than a little adrenaline in that encounter!

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    A lot of folks mention how convenient it is to have a bear can to sit on. I presume you only do that 100 feet or more from your camp, right? Where you're cooking, since that's where the can is supposed to be. .....?
    Posted the other current bear can thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Studying how people behave in Real Bear Country: Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks for future trips.
    Everything said in this thread is 180 degrees opposite to what is practiced in those parks.
    The Park Service campsites have a kitchen area with fire grate, seating and a bear pole. Food stays in the kitchen area. Period.
    Shelters and sleeping gear are carried to the designated sleeping area some distance from the kitchen area where the food is kept.
    People hang their packs with all food, smellables and trash from the bear poles in the kitchen area. These practices are shown in several videos online. It’s not heresay.
    That makes a 110% more sense than this East & West Coast centered discussion.
    It makes sense to me.
    Wayne

Posted the other current bear can thread.
    There's also a lot of difference in between what is recommended and what you should be doing in black bear vs Griz country. Most of the advice here is for black bear country.

Journal Entries

There's also a lot of difference in between what is recommended and what you should be doing in black bear vs Griz country. Most of the advice here is for black bear country.
    Griz just have a short fuse. You dont want to bump into one in your campsite ....

Yellowstone & Glacier are Black and Grizzly bear country.
    The idea is to keep all of the food smells, etc. in a single location and all of the sleeping separate.
    What many are advocating here is cooking, eating and sleeping in the same place while moving the can of food to another location. Not the best idea.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yellowstone & Glacier are Black and Grizzly bear country.
    The idea is to keep all of the food smells, etc. in a single location and all of the sleeping separate.
    What many are advocating here is cooking, eating and sleeping in the same place while moving the can of food to another location. Not the best idea.
    Wayne
    I agree with you on that one...but I don't want any of that anywhere near me in grizzly country, but am less worried about it in black bear country.

I agree with you on that one...but I don't want any of that anywhere near me in grizzly country, but am less worried about it in black bear country.
    Perhaps I wasn’t clear. The Kitchen and Sleeping areas in the National Park campsites are seperated by a practical distance. Yellowstone recommends 100 yards.
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...anner_2018.pdf
    Wayne

No, I completely got what you said.

Okay. Did you look at the illustration on page 2 of the Yellowstone document on the other end of the link?
    What are you objecting to?
    Wayne

I find sitting on the ground with my back against a log, boulder, tree, to be far more comfortable than perching on a bear can. I started carrying them in '97 in the Sierra Nevada. Only sat on them a few times and haven't bothered in more than 10 years. They don't look any more comfortable today then they did then. Though I suppose if you are just doing so while leaning over your stove while you cook, that might be convenient, but given I only boil water to pour into a freezer bag or mountain house bag, I don't need to do that.

That said, I've never seen anyone actually put their bear can 100ft away. Leaving it overnight 20-50ft seems to be the norm from what I've seen. Given when we bear bagged, we wanted the food hanging close enough so you would notice it was being messed with so you could scare away the animal messing with it, I wonder why you'd want a bear can even farther away. Is it so you can sleep more soundly since you don't hear the bear knocking it around?

Position of bear can at breakfast (JMT in the fall, north of Mather Pass).
    JMT2017-443.JPG

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Suffice to say that a perfect location among rocks or small trees that prevents Br’er Bear from playing kick the can with your groceries, Go for it!
    Bad advice. Don't give the bear any mechanical advantage by wedging your bear canister between trees or rocks. You are only helping the bear if you do. As it was previously stated, bear canisters are bear resistant and not bear proof. Put the can out in the open where the bear can swat it, roll it, sit on it, chew on it, etc and the bear will eventually get frustrated and move on. If you wedge it somewhere the bear can pry or bite off the lid easier.

It *is* a good idea to out your cook pot or other noisy item on top of your bear canister. If it gets disturbed the noise may scare the bear away and/or alert you to fact that something is happening.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

The Kitchen and Sleeping areas in the National Park campsites are seperated by a practical distance. Yellowstone recommends 100 yards.
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...anner_2018.pdf
    Wayne
    I saw your posts on this in the other thread and this one, and had a comment. While I don't disagree with the example you have brought up of what is done in Glacier/Yellowstone, that won't currently work along the AT.

The issue along most of the AT is a matter of "infrastructure" for lack of a better term. As everyone on here knows most of the forest along the AT has a very thick understory from spring though the fall, so it's not easy to just meander off into the woods in any direction especially to do an activity like cooking. Also, most shelter areas along the AT are not set up with separate cooking areas, and are set up for cooking/eating at the shelter with no other adjacent area for this activity. So the only way to practically cook in a separate area from a campsite or shelter would be to either walk down the AT or blue blaze side trail and cook somewhere along the side the trail.

To implement what you are suggesting would require clearing another area near shelters and campsites, and designate it a cooking area. A good example of this along the AT is the Liberty Springs campsite in the Whites. This area has several tent platforms, and a separate cooking area.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

The original poster is currently on the TRT. Different situation.
    Unfortunately WhiteBlaze is AT centric. Frankly, bear cans are an anomaly for the time being on the AT.
    As for the occasional problem bear along the AT, anecdotal evidence suggests that inconsiderate non hiking community people are probably to blame for the food the bears find. Aided by the proximity of roads to shelters and campgrounds.
    Different techniques for different places.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Bad advice. Don't give the bear any mechanical advantage by wedging your bear canister between trees or rocks. You are only helping the bear if you do. As it was previously stated, bear canisters are bear resistant and not bear proof. Put the can out in the open where the bear can swat it, roll it, sit on it, chew on it, etc and the bear will eventually get frustrated and move on. If you wedge it somewhere the bear can pry or bite off the lid easier.

It *is* a good idea to out your cook pot or other noisy item on top of your bear canister. If it gets disturbed the noise may scare the bear away and/or alert you to fact that something is happening.
    If you lucky enough to camp where it wont roll downhill into river or off cliff.

Unfortunately, many places in sierra are like that. So you most certainly do place it where it wont easily roll away. Next to fallen tree, in circle of rocks, in bushes.

But....it should be about 20' from you, with rocks stacked on top to make noise if disturbed, and you should have a supply of baseball sized throwing rocks handy.

I've heard second hand that Yosemite rangers recommend keeping your bear can close by so you can run the bear off should it attempt to mess with your food. Thoughts?
    It is what it is.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I've heard second hand that Yosemite rangers recommend keeping your bear can close by so you can run the bear off should it attempt to mess with your food. Thoughts?
    Ive heard that first-hand
    And firmly ascribe to it

Black bears generally dont want a fight

I recall that a ranger at philmont scout ranch once rescued a goat from a bears jaws by punching the bear in the face. Bear ran off.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-27-2018 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ive heard that first-hand
    And firmly ascribe to it

Black bears generally dont want a fight

I recall that a ranger at philmont scout ranch once rescued a goat from a bears jaws by punching the bear in the face. Bear ran off.
    Sounds like a bar room story!!! I’ve heard some funny sh$! but that takes the cake...🥃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++