WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gorham hostels or hotels

I made the mistake of letting someone look at my AT Guide, after about 30-min I walked over to get it only to find he had left, apparently this is his thing, borrow and leave, others have encountered him and lost small items. I don’t need the pages between now and my next resupply, but the page with the Gorham town info would have been helpful.

I was planning on overnighting at the Rattle River hostel, its location is convenient and has everything I need. But, in case they are full (yes I will call) can any of you recommend another hostel or hotel? I DO NOT want a party place.

I will check back when I get to Gorham on Tuesday.

thanks

Journal Entries

There is a great hostel right at the Rt 2 road crossing (great as is 2013), including shuttling into/out of town. It would be one of my top picks going thru there again.

Also if you have the AWOL guide, you might considering dropping David Miller a email stating what happened and he may give you a emergency PDF copy gratis, as he did for one of my hiking companions.

Sorry for your experience, that is a sucky thing to do, but have faith that the trail will provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    There is a great hostel right at the Rt 2 road crossing (great as is 2013), including shuttling into/out of town. It would be one of my top picks going thru there again.

Also if you have the AWOL guide, you might considering dropping David Miller a email stating what happened and he may give you a emergency PDF copy gratis, as he did for one of my hiking companions.

Sorry for your experience, that is a sucky thing to do, but have faith that the trail will provide.
    that is now the Rattle River Hostel under new ownership, but still, from all reports, a good place to stay. I believe its owned by former through-hikers.

There are several options.

The next closest option to the trail is the White Birches Campground, 1.8 miles west.
    In town there is "The Barn" (on the corner of RT16 and RT2), which is also a B+B. The hostel is in the garage.

Motels are expensive, thanks to the influx of ATVers. All of them are usually full on weekends, Fri and Sat nights. Not sure if any bother to give hiker rates anymore.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Unless its changed White Birches is about as bare bones as you can get. Bunks, shower, microwave and fridge. Eat out back at the picnic table. Its a couple of mile walk into town.

If Hiker Paradise is still open (its got a sign up front "Under Contract" )its probably not a place for you as its rep is party space. Forget local motels in weekends. Town and Country in Shelburne is the closest to the AT. I think Northern Peaks is the lowest cost.

Rattle River does seem to fill up frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

thanks everybody. I made it to Gorham this morning, have a bunk at the Rattle River Hostel, so far it seems to be a nice place and has everything I need, resupply box was waiting for me and an afternoon shuttle into town for shopping and restaurant food. A few places deliver to RRH, a big steak and fixings will be here for lunch.

Starchild - don't carry the entire book, only the pages for the next section between resupplies, but yeah having a PDF might come in handy or take photos of the town info page

next stop Crawford Notch, yes I now there's a road walk or hitch, I didn't stop there on my 2010 NOBO. Want to stay at the lodge, already have reservations there where my friend will meet me and hike together to Franconia Notch.

there was someone else from here hiking SOBO, not sure of his name Hootie Hoe, Hootie Hoo, something like that. Anyway I thought I might run across him somewhere in the 100 MW, if I did I didn't notice.

++ New Posts ++