WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CAUTION Giant Hogweed spotted in NC section

I few weeks ago we were were doing the section through Roan Mtn and stayed at the Over Mountain Shelter. The shelter is a few .10s off the trail. On the way from the blue blaze and AT intersection to the shelter we saw these huge white headed plants about 6-7 tall. I remarked they looked alien. Some were really close to the trail. When we got back to the matrix we found an article that what were had seen was Giant Hogweed which can give 3rd degree burns. Or was also on the climb or from the intersection trail north. Very innocent looking weed but sure could ruin a hike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If it was only 6-7 feet tall, the good news is there’s a liklihood it wasn’t giant hogweed and was instead one of several lookalike plants. I was convinced I ran into a bunch of giant hogweed on top of Killington in VT, but it turned out to be a combination of Cow Parsnip and Angelica.

NY state has a great resource page for hogweed identification versus similar plants:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/72766.html
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Alot of people mix hogweed with cow parsnips---both are Umbel plants with a stalk and fanning out flowers from the stalk. Yarrow is another umbel plant.

I've never seen hogweed here in the Southeast but we have PLENTY of cow parsnips. Big bumblebees love swarming on the plant in the fall and you'll be walking thru thousands of these bees when the plants are chest high.

Both plants belong to the carrot family. Oh and poison hemlock is also an Umbel plant---and the most poisonous plant out there---one bite and swallow of the root brings death.

It is in Virginia. Time Zone brought this to my attention.

https://www.richmond.com/life/health...ea8bda780.html

Does hogweed cause hogwarts? (sorry I'm a HP nerd. Forgive me and resume the discussion!)

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If there was truly Hogweed on Roan, the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy would find it first.

Probably Cow Parsnip or Wild Carrot.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++