WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It wasn’t late enough.
    It wasn’t dark enough.
    You weren’t tired enough.
    I’ve seen a photo of a tent pitched on a trail in the Sourh San Juan Wilderness Area. It was the only level spot available.
    When push comes to shove, “Get ‘er done.” works.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It wasn’t late enough.
    It wasn’t dark enough.
    You weren’t tired enough.
    I’ve seen a photo of a tent pitched on a trail in the Sourh San Juan Wilderness Area. It was the only level spot available.
    When push comes to shove, “Get ‘er done.” works.
    Wayne
    Setting up a tent in the middle of a trail really isn't a good idea as large animals often use the trails at night.

I had to camp off the trail in the 100 mile wilderness because a shelter was closed for reconstruction. The only place I could find was a little spur off the main trail. As I lay in my bivy sack, I got to thinking "what if I'm laying in the middle of a herd path?" So I go up and dragged some dead fall out of the woods and placed it in front and behind me, about 4 feet off the ground.

Sure enough, about dawn I woke up to THUMP-THUMP-THUMP and then a very loud snort as a moose came down that path I was sleeping on. If I hadn't blocked the path, he would have stepped on my head. Another couple had set up a tent along the side of the AT. Once the moose crashed around me, it went up the AT, saw the tent and nearly knocked it over trying to figure out what the heck it was. The couple in the tent were terrified.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There's been a few times where I went after a shelter only to realize it was a shelter too far. It was nice to be able to see where I could find a spot up ahead to bed down for the night and how far it was. Does AWOL show camp sites? Can't remember.

Yet another example of a policy that will likey produce the opposite result of the intent. Like others have stated, this feature drove my purchase as I prefer not to do shelters when I dont have to.

When I hiked the PCT, my most creative campsite was to camp above the trail on a hillside, uphill of a large tree. I used my backpack as padding against the tree trunk and slept with my back to it in a cowboy camp. The tree kept me from rolling down the hill onto the trail. Wasn't the best campsite, but I did sleep okay given I'm a slide sleeper anyway. If there is a will, there is a way. Don't always assume you need to set your tent up either, if all you are looking for is space for a sleeping bag, the number of potential campsites really opens up.

Default TRT -- Guthook not showing the tent sites

I'm always scared not to put up the tent. With mine, you have to put the fly on also, if you're going to guy it out, and I always do that as well.
    Always afraid that I'm going to lay down in nice weather that could change quickly during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I'm always scared not to put up the tent. With mine, you have to put the fly on also, if you're going to guy it out, and I always do that as well.
    Always afraid that I'm going to lay down in nice weather that could change quickly during the night.
    Did you make it to TRT? I’m starting this sat..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Did you make it to TRT? I’m starting this sat..

Good luck! Hope you have good weather.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Good luck! Hope you have good weather.
    Wayne
    Thx! Looking forward to a little walk! It’s been waaaaay to long since I’ve been out! I’m hoping for some cool weather and lil snow!

Speaking of cool weather.
    Virtually every backcountry campsite in Glacier has vacancies for the next 6 days.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++