WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Agree with you on this. I am going to look at some of the suggestions made by Puddlefish, esp the Pita bread suggestion and the pepperoni/salami. I love crackers but they crush so easily. Got some great ideas in here.
    The Dr. Kracker ones, if you can find them, are like 1/4 inch thick bricks, they're fairly large to start with, not easily crushable. Sometimes a corner will break off. So much of my standard trail food is mushy, I appreciate having to crunch into something. The Sesame sticks, I expected to crumble, and they did break, but still into useful sized pieces. From a pure envious looks of other hikers value, these rated high.

Fritos, I tried to save to mix in with my meals in the evening, again, just for some texture.

To go with the cheese, get dehydrated refried bean flakes. These rehydrate fine in cold water. Put on a tortilla with cheese, and some taco bell sauce for a bean burrito. If pre-made in morning using hot water, the cheese will be a bit melty. If time, I suggest making them in the morning, and add the cheese right into the beans as they rehydrate in the boiling water. The cheese incorporated into the beans is great. Beany-cheesy goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    To go with the cheese, get dehydrated refried bean flakes. These rehydrate fine in cold water. Put on a tortilla with cheese, and some taco bell sauce for a bean burrito. If pre-made in morning using hot water, the cheese will be a bit melty. If time, I suggest making them in the morning, and add the cheese right into the beans as they rehydrate in the boiling water. The cheese incorporated into the beans is great. Beany-cheesy goodness!
    my post is where Venchka would likely post a picture and a link to Sante Fe instant refried beans. They must be damn good as much as he promotes them!!!

Wayne?

Once or twice. They’re everywhere in Texas. Often on sale cheap cheap.
    Nowhere near as often as Knorr, Tuna, Spam and myriad other things I find unpalatable.
    To each his own.
    Wayne

I can dig it...I have never tried them, but I imagine them to be quite good!

I will buy some off amazon soon enough...

Haven't been back to Texas since 2005 after living in College Station for 5 years...

I already have a dinner recipe in mind for them...dehydrated ground venison burritos with dehydrated sour cream

There are several brands of instant beans available. Surely you don’t need Amazon.
    Andrew Skurka has a Beans & Rice recipe online. Try it.
    I paid my dues. 10 years in Houston courtesy of Hurricane Katrina.
    All the best!
    Wayne

If not another protein bar, I do Peanut Butter or Tuna on a tortilla... or bagel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Surely you don’t need Amazon.
    well, no, I don't "need" Amazon...but at this point I can't imagine life without it!
    as far as online backpacking beans and rice recipes go, I'll go with Hungry Hammock Hanger's (who I believe is a Texas boy too)
    Gig 'em

My favorite lunch is tortilla wrapped Genoa or hard salami and babybel cheese with a good brown mustard.

Genoa is fermented pork while hard salami is usually smoked beef. Genoa is a bit more oily and spicy while hard salami is drier and often has a smoky flavor. Babybel cheese now come in a lot of varieties. I usually use a couple in each tortilla.

Both the Salami and Babybel's do pretty well unrefrigerated.

You can also dry soak any dehydrated meals you may like and eat them for lunch. When I do some of my shorter hikes I usually plan one or two of the lunches to be rehydrated noodles, vegetables, and whatever else I decide to throw in. Start cold soaking before I leave in the morning and by lunch time it is more than ready. Can also be done with oats. There are also some dehydrated soup bowls I get from World Market for lunch at work and stuff that could easily be repackaged into a bag and cold soaked.

Uncommitted Section Hiker Fornfearen's Avatar

INstant hummus is hard to find. I"ve been searching unsuccessfully in my area, except for one package at a canoe outfitter. I just learned that within the same chain of supermarkets, one store might stock it, while other locations don't. Also, try Co-ops, "health food" stores, etc. Brands: The one at the canoe outfitter was the same brand as a lot of their other dehydrated food, but I don't remember the name. Other brands are Fantastic Foods, OUtdoor Herbivore, and Camp Cuisine. If you find a store stocking one of these brands, maybe they'll have it on hand or be able to order it for you.
    Fornfearen----[Middle Earth Elfish for "Northern Wandering Spirit"]
    "Don't believe everything you think."

Moosejaw sells Alpinaire Hummus. Or order from Moosejaw with the Walmart app.
    https://www.moosejaw.com/product/alp...ummus_10342126
    Wayne

I think I'd be asking myself what it is that I normally eat for lunch when not hiking...and build from that.

Seems like mixing in a FD meal or similar that you like for dinner now and then for lunch might make some of the things you listed that you don't want a little more palatable on the other days.

Or maybe another paradigm is needed...stop thinking about three square meals a day. Supposed to be healthier to eat small "mini-meals" often throughout the day anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++