WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If I did the GC again I would absolutely be using a flocculent!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-16-2018 at 17:54.

Images

On the Grand Enchantment cow ponds and dirty rivers, I used the MSR Purifier which backflushes itself with each pump stroke. Heavy, but worth it for me.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...I waited for the water to settle in a 2.4 L Platypus. In 3 hrs 1/3 of the Platypus was filled with settled mud. I decantered the clear(er) water off the top.

Most folks have no idea how great the water sources can be on trails like the AT, BMT, LT, and other eastern trails.
    Man great story and insight. I didn't know the silt could be that bad! The next time I sip from a water source of the AT, imma count my blessings!

I really appreciate everyone's help. I have some great options on my list now to try out, thanks to you all.
    It is what it is.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

On many trips, I carry a Sea to Summit bucket as a 'luxury item.'

It's dirty-water carrier, bathtub, kitchen sink, fire extinguisher, laundry tub, ... and yes, settling tank.

Where I hike, I don't often encounter enough silt to bother with a settling tank, but I've certainly used it a few times when drawing water from a pond with a fine silty bottom (and crystal clear water, but any motion to draw it up would stir up the silt).

As others mention, paper coffee filters work fine for the purpose as well.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

One of the points that does not seem to have been developed in this thread yet is comparing the ease of filtration with a "coarse" filter like a coffee filter or bandana when water is very silty, but not so silty that even those coarse filters don't work well and settling out the silt, (often requiring a flocculent like alum) before filtering is essentially required.

Since alum is cheap, light, and simple, it would make sense to me to bring your coarse filter of choice in case that is all you need, but also cary alum since, with a very small bit of alum, you can always settle the silt if it is overwhelming for your filter.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I seem to remember seeing someone on TV once make a sand filter. Maybe out of a can or something, I don't remember specifics....
    But I'll bet if I put my mind to it I could probably figure out something if I happened to have some sand handy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++