WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpack or duffle bag

i know i am gone to open a can of worms with this have any of you use a duffle bag to carry your stuff instead of a backpack it seen it would be easy to carry the duffle

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    i know i am gone to open a can of worms with this have any of you use a duffle bag to carry your stuff instead of a backpack it seen it would be easy to carry the duffle
    I have seen scouts dragging their duffel bags wearily through the snow up to Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman SP. This was many years ago, and I still remember how foolish they looked. Still, it would hurt nothing for you to give it a try on a short trip. Grandma Gatewood hiked the whole trail using a duffel back in the fifties. I'm quite certain she was tougher than me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

It only took about a mile of carrying my gear in a duffel bag in basic training to cure me of the idea.
    Forget the duffel bag!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It only took about a mile of carrying my gear in a duffel bag in basic training to cure me of the idea.
    Forget the duffel bag!
    Wayne
    damn thing weighed more than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Have you ever carried a duffle with a 30 lb load for 8 miles in the mountains? I haven't, but carrying a 30 lb duffle in a parking lot is harder than carrying a backpack.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

you can also be like bill bryson's hiking buddy and try and a newspaper sack, if those things still exist.

You'll be famous. This must be vlogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Not much different than using any other frameless pack just make sure you pick up one that has 2 shoulder straps

Probably the people who are the most effective at carrying heavy loads are the porters working in the mountains of Nepal. They often carry nearly 100% of their body weight up and down huge mountains on rugged trails. Many foreign trekkers will hire a porter to carry their gear (often two trekkers per porter). Most commonly, the trekkers are instructed to pack their gear in a duffel bag for the porters. This way they can "easily" carry multiple bags. Their trick is to carry the load suspended from a strap over their forehead. If you Google "porters in Nepal" you will see pictures of how they do it. In fact one picture I saw had a porter with a big load on what seemed to be an old fashioned external frame pack with the hip belt was just dangling, unused. All the weight is on the head. Other pics show porters all carrying several duffels. The truth is the real experts on carrying heavy loads up and down mountains do not read this forum.

-

hiked with a lady who told of being on a trail in Peru, stepped off to catch her breath and a guy came by with a stove on his back - strap over his head - apparently someone ordered their appliance "delivered"

now, he was also chewing a wad of coca leaves

remember, in areas where this is done they do not have our life expectancy

++ New Posts ++