WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by notbad View Post
    My ears were ringing....and than I find this!.... All half truths and exaggerations I assure you all...although very kind!... especially the good guy part,,��If the stars align and the spirits of Western Wyoming allow! Driving home from work I'll be reaching out to CJ and Pat in a more private setting tonight when I am home!...Too funny.....signing off with new trail name ...notbad and not as good as described!... Hope all is well Wayne!... Can't imagine it down in the East Texas rainforest right now...it's hot here in the north pole....
    You left us in the dust...or did sometimes until you slowed down! I know you are more than capable of doing both back to back

A cold front passed through the Upper East Side of Texas. It’s only 90. And. We had 1.5” of rain this week.
    I’ll get a small taste of the Rockies with my granddaughter in early August.
    Y’all have fun! Blaze the route for me!
    Wayne

Did you end up going on this trip? I never look in this sub and completely missed this, though the WRHR is likely on my list for next year. If for some reason you put this off til next year, then I'm your man. Was planning on going solo, but a partner would be a good thing for a trip like this.
    It is what it is.

They are doing it starting Aug 28. Notbad is doing my northern loop trip in the Winds from Aug 20-26, taking a day or two off and then doing the WRHR with Patman

There are four of us doing the northern loop.

Y’all have fun! This year wasn’t right for the WRR. I’ll be back!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Wayne,

yes the Alan Dixon route is still on the table. Skurkas route is harder but seems more interesting with more highlights.
    You can mix and match between the routes. We ended up doing that due to weather, late September. Drop dead gorgeous area.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Let’s all pray that it doesn’t get a 3 letter abbreviation followed by “Thru”.
    If so, I’ll have to find somewhere else to go.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Y’all have fun! This year wasn’t right for the WRR. I’ll be back!
    Wayne
    Was not right this year for me either. You kids have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    You can mix and match between the routes. We ended up doing that due to weather, late September. Drop dead gorgeous area.
    Yeah I'm approaching this with an open mind. Who knows what the weather will do and what decisions we may have to make. The plan is to attempt to follow the Skurka route as close as possible. If we have to bail, it seems most of the options are to the west but our car will be on the east so that could complicate things a little. My partner is already out there and I'm set to go in a few days. Wow , this is exciting.

I wish my pack were a little lighter but it's about as good as I can do right now. With 10 days of food and 1 liter of water I'm at a skin-out total of 36.77 lbs. about 2 pounds is clothing I'll wear most of the time so 34 riding in the pack. I don't relish the thought of descending the loose rock of Wind River Peaks west gully with that load but I'll just go slow and be as careful as I can. We will likely stop to camp above Deep Creek lakes and I can at least be down one days food before the harrowing scramble.

I'm bringing a Tarptent Stratospire 1 and I'm soooo tempted to leave the inner and just bring a ground sheet. But if the mosquitos are still going that would suck.

Pat man,
    Last year. Week before Labor Day near Leadville, CO and the week after Labor Day on the CDT NW of the Big Sandy Trailhead: SS 1 fly only. Or cowboy camped. Insects not a problem. Love the StratoSpire 1!
    Cheers.
    Wayne

agree with wayne...inner not needed.

Best wishes on your trip, Patman. I've enjoyed your posts and TS reviews for some time, and especially enjoyed what you had to say about external frame packs in our hiking area:

"Many of the “on-trail” places I go are so lightly maintained that you still have to use the five D’s of dodge ball to get through them."

Kudos to you on all the great adventures you've had and continue to seek.

- TZ

Images

Wow, how cool, I'm excited to see this thread and wish PM the best on his quest. I wonder if there is any chance, weather wise, on giving this a go in mid-late September? I might give it a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Wow, how cool, I'm excited to see this thread and wish PM the best on his quest. I wonder if there is any chance, weather wise, on giving this a go in mid-late September? I might give it a thought.
    weather is different every year. last year we had great weather. 30's at night...60' during the day (starting sept 1).
    friends of mine were doing the same or similar route one week later and got 2 feet of snow in the cirque. they were forced to bail.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    weather is different every year. last year we had great weather. 30's at night...60' during the day (starting sept 1).
    friends of mine were doing the same or similar route one week later and got 2 feet of snow in the cirque. they were forced to bail.
    YIKES! We were very lucky. I had no idea that the weather changed that much so soon after we left.
    Wayne

Notbad and I just got off our route. He is due to meet Patman tonight at the south end of the range...however 4-8" of snow expefted above 9500' today and tonight could make things a little tough to start.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    agree with wayne...inner not needed.
    Ompletely agree
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Very cool hiking plans-have a great hike!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Freeze warning issued for Pinedale tomorrow morning.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++