WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good read on permethrin for ticks.

I think I'll buy some. Ticks are creepy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I don't have any experience with it's effectiveness for ticks, but it works miracles as a mosquito repellent. I treated all my clothing with permethrin just prior to starting the Pacific Northwest Trail last year. During the first evening in camp, we were accosted by clouds of mosquitoes while eating dinner. While other campers resorted to donning their rain gear for protection, I was able to eat dinner with hardly a care. I did tend to wear a head net or apply DEET to exposed skin in especially bad areas, but I wasn't being bitten through my clothing like most other hikers were. The only downside was that after about 4 weeks, there was a noticeable decline in it's effectiveness.

I couldn't believe how good it works, was like a shield around me when I treated my clothes. Make sure you treat any head gear you wear (hats/buff), I had gnats and mosquitos all over my face all day and they were gone after I treated my stuff. Every once and a while a gnat or something would hit my face but it would be gone in an instant not to return. They say it lasts about 6 weeks or 6 washings but I might want to treat every 3-4 weeks in the future when the bugs are bad.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

As stated, very effective AND if you do your research its actually VERY safe even at 10x the concentrations we use to treat clothes.

It worked for us on the Maine AT in June/July a few years ago. We stood around in shorts and tee shirts while other hikers had no exposed flesh because of the clouds of mosquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I think I'll buy some. Ticks are creepy.
    Yes, they suck.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I treat my clothing with Martin's 10% permethrin diluted 1.75-2.0 oz per liter in a spray bottle to soak my clothing and let it dry completely away from pets;especially cats because it is said to kill them.

Additionally,I take 2 apple cider vinegar capsules,1 garlic tablet,and a B multivitamin daily.Mosquitoes really don't like me anymore.I took my shirt off at camp one evening in summer here in Georgia just to make sure it was me and not the clothes-no takers!

Yeah,I know people think it's a wives tale but it works for me.

I wear Permethrin treated clothes everyday. It does the job well for chiggers and ticks. My only word of caution is make sure you use a product formulated to bond with fabric.

They say that Permethrin can cause Parkinson's disease. But since I already have PD, I apply it liberally to all of my gear. I don't want to end up with something else from a stupid tick bite.

Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
    They say that Permethrin can cause Parkinson's disease. Shaker
    AFAIK, the jury is out on that. There are some indications of an association between PD and some pesticides, but correlation <> causation. Other explanations are possible, research in this area continues.

But I'm with you on avoiding ticks and what diseases they may bring.

I more or less posted that as a joke because I already have PD. We really don't know - and will probably never know - exactly what causes Parkinson's for a variety of reasons. And you are correct, correlation does not equal causation. If it did, then I cause traffic backups on the interstate by letting my gas tank get below 1/4 tank or having to pee.

Obligatory xkcd:
    correlation.png

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Yes, they suck.
    Good one.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I was sold after a hike a couple years ago in NH. I had no ticks, my son had plenty. It was a stark difference.

EPA is but a shell of it's former self. Their power and influence has been highly diminished. Relying on the EPA anymore, uh, umm, meh.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

When compared to the effects of untreated Lyme or to the toxicity of Doxycycline, I’m fairly confident in saying that permethrin is by far the lesser evil.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    EPA is but a shell of it's former self. Their power and influence has been highly diminished. Relying on the EPA anymore, uh, umm, meh.
    I hear you, and I'm a professional doubter myself, but having seen the effects of Lyme on friends & family, I'll take my chances with a few episodes of Permethrin exposure.

++ New Posts ++