Since my first visit to UGPC in 2013, I've touted this spot to all who'd listen of it's beauty, it's serenity, the friendliness and welcome found there. No more. My last two encounters with the caretakers there have been far from friendly, and anything but welcoming.

Last Tuesday, June 26, I met my son and his friend in Lee, MA to resupply them on their section hike through MA and CT. The plan was they would then get to UGPC for that night and zero the following day. Though I'd literally been shooed away on my last visit there with kids for having the audacity to arrive as a day hiker, I'd assured them they'd enjoy the spot and be welcomed as section hikers (per the website). However, by 7:00 that night I received a text asking if they could stay somewhere else for both that night and their zero as they felt completely unwelcome. Apparently the caretaker grudgingly allowed them the last 2 bunks with under-the-breath-yet-audible comments about "these section hikers", but when 5 thruhikers arrived later they were told they no longer had bunks and that they'd have to tent.

They had little choice but to stay the night, and chose to take their zero there also, but stayed clear of the caretaker for the most part. But the next day, when it was clear that no crowds were coming (5 hikers total including them), they asked if they could have bunks. The caretaker made them wait until dusk before very grudgingly allowing them space, even though not another hiker had arrived all day. Also, they were told in no uncertain terms that if any thru hikers arrived, they'd again have to give up their space and tent.

Nowhere on the website does it claim that thruhikers get priority over section hikers, yet these VERY QUIET and VERY SHY young men were made to feel like second-class citizens.

"
Upper Goose Pond Cabin is owned by the National Park Service and managed by AMC volunteers. Located on the Appalachian Trail (AT) in the southwest corner of Massachusetts, in the heart of the Berkshires, Upper Goose Pond is exclusively for thru-hikers and section hikers of the AT.".