WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Sounds good in theory, but most times there won't be roadside access to crew another 3.5 miles up the trail. Which brings us back to the discussion (from the Harvey thread) on the efficacy of a hybrid approach as a way to chip away day by day.
    Sure, but I saw first hand a time when he stopped with 2+ hours of daylight and 6.5 fairly easy miles to the next crossing, and I made sure they knew it, and they passed.

And as you say, a more hybrid approach is another opportunity to gain. I think Karel may have spent more nights on trail than other supported speed hikers though I haven't looked for data to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I don’t know warren Doyle but enjoyed reading his insight on Deerfoot’s Facebook. Basically saying he thinks no one will be able to beat this.
    Of course they will, and probably in the next 2-3 years. Records are made to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Of course they will, and probably in the next 2-3 years. Records are made to be broken.
    Exactly. Once locked in time, the predecessor's mark becomes a stationary target. Those before and those to come are more than competitors, but teammates passing the baton of human potential... And a good teammate shares his/her playbook with the team. Kudos to Karel for a good show of transparency. This has been fun to watch from the bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunnerGuy View Post
    Sure, but I saw first hand a time when he stopped with 2+ hours of daylight and 6.5 fairly easy miles to the next crossing, and I made sure they knew it, and they passed.

And as you say, a more hybrid approach is another opportunity to gain. I think Karel may have spent more nights on trail than other supported speed hikers though I haven't looked for data to prove it.
    I'd listen to Metronome Matt, master of miserly mile sipping.
    Karel has a very sweet european engineered racecar for sure.
    Better though to think of this more like nascar than formula 1.

Drive it too hard and you peel your tires a bit too quickly. Fail to draft when you can and glide along and your miles per gallon drop. You can stomp the pedal at every opportunity and redline the engine... but there are 500 laps to go. Spending time on pit stops costs you too much overall, and he sat back and counted down the laps to keep them to a minimum.

Karel seems to have followed the 80% rule with serious discipline and metered out his fuel for only when desperately needed. Takes a serious plan and lots of discipline not to snag those last few at the end of the day. Plus a good mechanic to prevent breakdowns; so kudos to his partner on that score.

That run through the whites was likely the first time he came close to redlining the engine I'd guess. The last few moves to pull into first.

Maybe he will rip one off for a big finish.
    But I suspect he's metered out his fuel to the point the last few fumes will let him roll though the finish.
    Smooth and steady as a swiss watch for sure.
    Haven't seen a metronome for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I Don't know if this was mentioned before or not but but Karel's name is misspelled in the title of this thread. His last name is spelled Sabbe not Saabe and if you google his real name there are some good links as to who Karel is including his fb page with updates. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.JMecJFOt_yk
    I fixed it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Here we are... what is it, day 41?! Any sign of the Deerfoot in Baxter SP? He’s gotta be tired of this by now am I right?

The time to match his southern split has come and gone. About to bike to work. Checking and no word. Looks like you all were right and chances are he grabbed a handful of hours of rest around Jo Mary Rd. So he's maybe around Rainbow Stream by now with mid-afternoon finish...? I know the tracking is a lost cause, but the lack of any update along this 24-hour homestretch is a bit disappointing. Is cell signal worse than it was five years ago? I recall being able to text out even upload vids thru the hundred mile wilderness via verizon. In any event, safe and strong finish to Karel!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    The time to match his southern split has come and gone. About to bike to work. Checking and no word. Looks like you all were right and chances are he grabbed a handful of hours of rest around Jo Mary Rd. So he's maybe around Rainbow Stream by now with mid-afternoon finish...? I know the tracking is a lost cause, but the lack of any update along this 24-hour homestretch is a bit disappointing. Is cell signal worse than it was five years ago? I recall being able to text out even upload vids thru the hundred mile wilderness via verizon. In any event, safe and strong finish to Karel!
    Unfortunately looks like we need to give our foreign friends some forgiveness on that score. Short of snagging an international sim card or local burner phone I'd guess mum of Emma was popping into a hotel lobby courtesy computer to chime in here. Probably no great way to communicate for any of the Belgian team at this point it seems. Whatever cell service they were using before must be a bust. I think Verizon is the only winner in Maine and who knows what they were using for this.

4 days on insty and spotty days of cartoon journal on facebook last seen on Sunday.
    I'd imagine his partner 'joe' probably has his hands too full with mechanic duties to doodle his journal up. Or with all hands on deck whomever was handling that at home/off trail is now on site with Karel.

I'd guess we don't hear any word until they get out to Milliknocket at the earliest.

It's almost like they are actually in the woods

Turns out he did run all night. Here's a post on FB from a few minutes ago.

Karel decided yesterday to keep on running during the night. He're Jo is informing Karel around 2 at night about the next section, 26k from nahmakanta lake until the crossing with the golden rd.

So it sounds like at 2am he was 16 miles from Abol Br and 15 miles from there to the finish?

FB shows pic of them at a paved rd (Golden Rd?) this morning with this: "Karel ran all night and he & Jo got off at 7.30 for the ultimate destination of their journey : Mt. Kathadin!"

THe Belgian went on a bender after all!

Another picture apparently at Golden Rd at 7:30. So, 15 miles left. Finish around noon? Depends on how the sleep deprived climb goes, but I've seen him climb, he doesn't slow his pace much!

Karel ran all night and he & Jo got off at 7.30 for the ultimate destination of their journey : Mt. Kathadin!

Thanks for posting this in here!!

I'm sure that pic is familiar with some of you. I confirmed with Google street view that is Golden Road, coming up to Abol Br and the final 15 miles.

Wow, he is really making it tremendously difficult for the next guy/gal to break his (soon-to-be) record! Good on him for truly giving it his all, leaving nothing in the tank.

I remember seeing video of jurek from here, and photos of stringbean hugging family from here.

Very nice! Glad to see he didn't just "mail it in" and went all night towards the Big K. Good luck on a strong finish.

It seems very likely he'll finish more than 4 days ahead of Joe's FKT of 45d12h15m. He started on 7/18 at 4:30am, so would need to finish by 4:45pm to keep the 4 day cushion.

Now we can start speculating on who has the tougher record: Joe (self supported) or Karel (supported) ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    Now we can start speculating on who has the tougher record: Joe (self supported) or Karel (supported) ?

They are both remarkable achievements. IMHO, Karel's acheivement does not diminish Stringbean's effort.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++