WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    Well, *technically* everything Stringbean did is legal under supported rules, so he has both self supported & supported.
    I think I agree with your assertion. UNSUPPORTED has a certain set of rules. SUPPORTED adds "that you can accept preplanned help" I dont think it means that you must accept that help.

I ended up in Harper's Ferry yesterday and wishing I was there today to see KS cruise by. Wondering if he'll have enough time to stop in at ATC HQ for some public relations and into Battlefield Bakery (free refills for hikers) for some good grub. It's such a touristy spot I hope someone there recognizes him and gives him a high five!

*I got a refill on my coffee the last time I hiked through and I believe chatted with the owner who offered me a refill. Not to say it's a place with free refills. Paid $7.99 for a draft beer, which is egregiously expensive but worth it because it's vacation, right?

I ran with him from northern Shanedoah National Park to High Knob (due to time constraints). Overall he was running well, power hiking at a good pace, and eating and drinking with minimal stops.

His early morning approach (4am starts to accrue miles) is really smart since you get the mental lift of first light and finishing before dark. He's also snagging 8+ hrs of sleep. Overall he's looking extremely good with no foot or leg issues. He's taking all of Karls advice and applying it to his routine.

It's going to take something pretty serious to hamper his attempt since most already had physical problems by now

Love reading these accounts of people running with him! Valuable

Looks like he crossed the 1000 mile mark!

Can someone track him closely thru Maryland? Is it possible he could set an FKT across that state while going after the overall? That’s be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Can someone track him closely thru Maryland? Is it possible he could set an FKT across that state while going after the overall? That’s be cool to see.
    Won't happen. He's not going that fast. I don't know what the Maryland record is, but the 4 state (VA, WV, MD, PA) 41 mile record is 6:39. I doubt Karel is going to do faster than 4mph, which would take 10 hours. It would be foolish to try.

Gotcha. Didn’t think it was that low. He is absolutely hauling already today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I ran with him from northern Shanedoah National Park to High Knob (due to time constraints). Overall he was running well, power hiking at a good pace, and eating and drinking with minimal stops.

His early morning approach (4am starts to accrue miles) is really smart since you get the mental lift of first light and finishing before dark. He's also snagging 8+ hrs of sleep. Overall he's looking extremely good with no foot or leg issues. He's taking all of Karls advice and applying it to his routine.

It's going to take something pretty serious to hamper his attempt since most already had physical problems by now
    I agree. Jen would start at 4:52 every morning, no matter what. She didn't go as fast as it sounds like Karel is going so she didn't get as much sleep (usually 6-6.5 hours), but dawn was definitely a boost, as was getting in a big chunk of miles before noon. If things go south you still have a lot of time in the afternoon/evening to make up ground and get to a road. And worst case if you're getting near an exposed ridge and don't want to cross in a storm you can wait it out an hour or two and take a nap without disrupting your sleep routine as much. An early start is key to setting yourself up for success on a daily basis. Too bad I don't heed my own advice at home.

Wow, he really opened up a lead in N VA http://www.animaps.com/pb/568540001/..._vs_stringbean

He should cross halfway at ~21d12h. Before LL Cool J comes on, I'll offer my halftime prediction: barring disaster, he'll match that time on the second half. Despite the expected slowdown in NH/ME, which is par for the course, Karel has several more days to bank some miles.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    He should cross halfway at ~21d12h.
    Bad math, sorry. I meant 20d10h. I'll keep the prediction, as inconceivable as it seems

Tracking via his website seems locked as of 9:47am today

https://www.skins.net/usa/appalachian

Is that normal for him to break for 2 hours? Or is the tracking not so live?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Tracking via his website seems locked as of 9:47am today

https://www.skins.net/usa/appalachian

Is that normal for him to break for 2 hours? Or is the tracking not so live?
    I don't think he takes a break. There was a post a few pages back about his tech. It relays data via a cell phone connection so if he's in a phone dead spot, the tracking isn't live. When he gets a phone connection again, it will update some of the missing data which is stored in the device. If you check again, you will see he kept moving and there have been more recent updates. He is now almost to Lambs Knoll (33.7 miles so far today)

Where’d he start today? Thanks for the clarification

Pretty sure he started at VA-7, Snickers Gap, just after the Rollercoaster section. I have no idea what time, but I assume 4am-ish because he ended at 6:15 yesterday.

So wolfsville rd/md 17 for today would be 52ish

Stringbean did 58.5 on day 22 which was pretty much this section. I don't know if Karel is looking at low 50s every day or will look to go longer on an "easier" day like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I don't think he takes a break. There was a post a few pages back about his tech. It relays data via a cell phone connection so if he's in a phone dead spot, the tracking isn't live. When he gets a phone connection again, it will update some of the missing data which is stored in the device. If you check again, you will see he kept moving and there have been more recent updates. He is now almost to Lambs Knoll (33.7 miles so far today)
    When he meets up with the crew, he does a quick gear triage and then off he goes. Our pit stop was 5 minutes max, and part of that was gearing up one of his crew members to pace along. He had second breakfast (a couple of McDonald's breakfast sandwiches) and was eating while hiking the uphills. He saves the sitting and relaxing for the evenings it seems.

His intent is to keep with 50+ mi days, but said he had planned for some easier days as the terrain changes. He was also happy about his lead time which allowed him to take a break should weather/terrain/injury come about but he hasn't had a need to take one yet. His early morning starts allows him to rack up around 15mi near sunrise, which he takes at more of a "warm up" pace before speeding up. Just based on his attitude, pacing, and how dialed in his crew is I think he has a really strong chance to best the current record.

So last night it looks as if he camped at Warner Springs Hollow in MD, which I don’t think you’re supposed to do. Is that considered an opportunity cost? Or similar to the Jurek Katahdin Drama?

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++