WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    He sure has a penchant for stopping places with no cell coverage... I'm guessing Hanover Ctr Rd / Etna, + or -. That'd be 52.7 for the day. Yawn....
    Could be that he's getting to a road and shutting off the device before it has a chance to either take a reading or transmit the last position.

Likely we'll have spottier tracking in the Whites, and really from here on out. Someone should lend him an inReach tracker! Seems like the buffering isn't working well with this newer tracker.

Tracker shows him just past Beaver Brook, probably made it to Lost River Rd (112). About 2 days + 10 miles ahead. 57 miles from Mt Washington.

Here's where it gets interesting. Tuesday night into Wednesday looks like terrible weather--heavy rain, thunderstorms and winds up to 70mph. Thursday is windy but clear. The smart move would be to push tomorrow as late and far as he can, and hunker down Wednesday and even take a zero if it's bad all day. Then up and over Mt Washington on Thursday. Adjust as needed if the forecast changes. Backseat driving from someone who's never been to NH. Stringbean did 27.9, 25.5, and 31.8 in this section.

The last thing he needs is to be blown off the white mountains. Dudes been mechanical to this point hasn’t he, and seems skilled enough to know his limits

Just watched a bit of facebook live as he's going up Mt. Lafayette. A little tired but moving well--22 miles already by 10:45! He says he wants to make it through the Whites without injury, and once he gets to Maine he knows there is still some difficult terrain but thinks he'll be able to smell the barn. He says this is probably his favorite section, and the good weather so far has helped. If he said anything specific about weather and plans for tomorrow I missed it. The forecast no longer says heavy rains and winds are slightly diminished--35-50mph with 65mph gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunnerGuy View Post
    Just watched a bit of facebook live as he's going up Mt. Lafayette. A little tired but moving well--22 miles already by 10:45! He says he wants to make it through the Whites without injury, and once he gets to Maine he knows there is still some difficult terrain but thinks he'll be able to smell the barn. He says this is probably his favorite section, and the good weather so far has helped. If he said anything specific about weather and plans for tomorrow I missed it. The forecast no longer says heavy rains and winds are slightly diminished--35-50mph with 65mph gusts.
    A few weeks ago I hiked to the top of Mt. Washington with my son. We were planning on doing it on the Saturday but the summit forecast was nasty and had the word tornadic in it. So we bailed on Saturday and went up Sunday. Saturday's weather turned out fine so you just never know up there.

Early start this morning after early end yesterday. I'd guess he'll gun for Crawford Notch, which would be a 45 mile day in the heart of the Whites! And he'd be cued up for the Presi Traverse tomorrow. Wind & rain - classic White Mtns!

Early start this morning after early end yesterday. I'd guess he'll gun for Crawford Notch, which would be a 45 mile day in the heart of the Whites! And he'd be cued up for the Presi Traverse tomorrow. Wind & rain - classic White Mtns!
    If he makes that, and I agree that seems likely, that gives him essentially a 3 day lead.

He’s up mt Jackson, staying at the hut over there maybe? Awesome day

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    He’s up mt Jackson, staying at the hut over there maybe? Awesome day
    I saw that. He seems to be going later today than previous days. Today he will have covered nearly twice the distance that Stringbean covered in this section (1.87 SB days) and his lead over record pace would be 3.21 days.

The tracker just went over Mt. Washington!
    Fog, south wind gusting to 44. He’s going fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I saw that. He seems to be going later today than previous days. Today he will have covered nearly twice the distance that Stringbean covered in this section (1.87 SB days) and his lead over record pace would be 3.21 days.
    I show that Stringbean stayed at "Saco River site", which looks to be immediately after the US 302 crossing, about 4 miles short of Mt Jackson. So isn't the lead 3 days + 4 miles? Stringbean did 31.8 this day from Saco River.

And so much for my thought of a light or rest day to let the weather pass. Up and over Mt Washington! Still has a few more presidents to traverse but that's huge!

This is better than cable tv!

Jefferson, Adams, and Madison done!

His lead had been gradually and consistently increasing to the point he had a lead of 2.33 days as of the beginning of the day yesterday. Then yesterday he almost doubled Stringbean's performance though that section, hiking 1.87 days worth of trail, increasing his lead to 3.21 days in just one day. To get a feel for how much of an outlier yesterday's "hike" was, check out the graph of his lead by day.

Capture.JPG

Looks like he was trying to get a jump on the weather, which is supposed to go from bad to terrible this afternoon. I wonder if he'll continue past Pinkham Notch today? I think we can safely say the White Mtns are not slowing Karel down one bit!

Another way to look at the data is to plot his daily performance instead of his lead. For the math geeks, this graph is essentially the slope (derivative) of the one above. The one above is the area (integral) of this one. Again it shows how beyond the norm yesterdays hike was. You see that that previously he only had 4 days that he failed to match SB (lowest day was 0.92 days). Before yesterday, his best day was 1.30 days.

Capture.JPG

Images

Wowza! Looks like he could make it to Gorham today.

Unless something crazy happens, he's got the record - now it's just a question of by how much.
    It's all good in the woods.

Looks like he was trying to get a jump on the weather, which is supposed to go from bad to terrible this afternoon. I wonder if he'll continue past Pinkham Notch today? I think we can safely say the White Mtns are not slowing Karel down one bit!
    Definitely not afraid. I wonder what the hell he thinks about when he’s running.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Definitely not afraid. I wonder what the hell he thinks about when he’s running.
    ..Pizza...

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++