WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hot weather rescues on AT in Maine

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/07/...lachian-trail/

Its been a nasty week to out hiking. Most days have been national weather service high heat warning days. The dew points have been near record. Add in sun and unhealthy air and a tough time to be out in the woods backpacking.

Luckilly this stretch of weather is supposed to break tomorrow.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

100º temperatures in Maine? Wow... used to be cars sold in Maine were usually with air conditioning optional because it was so little needed that far north.

Just another normal July day in Texas. I wonder why we don’t warnings for triple digit days?
    Be safe Y’all.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Just another normal July day in Texas. I wonder why we don’t warnings for triple digit days?
    Be safe Y’all.
    Wayne
    Still snow on Mt Washington. Those of us in the frozen North have barely acclimated to the Spring thaw.

I had the good fortune to spend the last half of May in the NW corner of Wyoming. Lots of snow above 8,000’ in Yellowstone. The Tetons were snow clad as well. Coming home in Texas was a shock.
    Climate change. What a trip. Hey!
    Wayne

May want to get to Glacier NP while there are still some left.

Last year I was out for a simple overnight trip, hiking in similar conditions. I camped at Wildcat shelter (NY) and hiked back with some thru hikers to my car, which was parked at Elk Pen. They had planned to hike to West Mtn shelter—not fully appreciating what lies between the two!—but even with 1400+ miles under their belts decided to bag it for the day, right then and there, and I gave them a ride to a motel. I think everybody made a short day of it on that occasion.

Real glad I postponed my PA trip, I kept an eye on the temps and 3 days they reached 100+
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Weather is fun. Doing quick overnight out of harpers ferry tomorrow with high of 80 low of 58. Last July my trip in that region washigh 90s and humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    May want to get to Glacier NP while there are still some left.
    I'm going in about 4 weeks. Fortunately they have had a wet spring so the chance of fire is lower than last year.

Cold front finally got here this morning with refreshing rain (unless your up on the ridge line, then it's got to be miserable). Tomorrow should be a nice day to do some RMC trail work, then it's back to hot and sticky for the foreseeable future but maybe not quite as bad as last week was.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Be safe Y’all.
    Wayne
    Probably because when those triple digit temperatures occur in most areas of Texas, the humidity and dew point aren't typically at levels that prevent sweat from evaporating and regulating core temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Probably because when those triple digit temperatures occur in most areas of Texas, the humidity and dew point aren't typically at levels that prevent sweat from evaporating and regulating core temperature.
    Could also be that, when it occurs more regularly you get acclimated to it, where the areas it was hitting recently don't see it that often (in fact, it was mentioned here in NY Capital Region that the last time it hit 100 was in 1953! - so a couple days of 97 surrounded by 4 others in the slightly lower 90's isn't exactly a common thing either - and one would suspect that it's even less so in Maine).

Record heat around the world this week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It's all part of Miss Nature's alluring dance. You either go out and sleep with her or don't.

Here on the Upper East Side the humidity is about halfway between New Orleans (lethal) and Durango. Currently, on the edge of a thunderstorm (we desperately need rain) the temperature is 83 F and humidity 75%. Twilight dark.
    Wayne

Out in west Texas that might be true but in east Texas and near the Gulf our dew points are over 70 all summer and sweat falls like rain when you are outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Could also be that, when it occurs more regularly you get acclimated to it, where the areas it was hitting recently don't see it that often (in fact, it was mentioned here in NY Capital Region that the last time it hit 100 was in 1953! - so a couple days of 97 surrounded by 4 others in the slightly lower 90's isn't exactly a common thing either - and one would suspect that it's even less so in Maine).
    True about acclimatization. Throw somebody who isn't used to the heat and humidity into 90+ degree weather with a high dew point and they will suffer especially older folks. Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors if you live in an area where air conditioning isn't common.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    True about acclimatization. Throw somebody who isn't used to the heat and humidity into 90+ degree weather with a high dew point and they will suffer especially older folks. Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors if you live in an area where air conditioning isn't common.
    The other side of the coin is when a cold front bringing temperatures into the 20 with a light 2" snow occurs in Houston or San Antonio. Warnings for these events are typically big news and broadcast a day or two in front of the storm so people can get milk and bread (essential snow bound survival foods, without which death is imminent). These advisories are important for those who do not normally experience cold and snow covered roads, just as heat advisories are important for those who do not experience triple digit heat and need to be reminded of the dangers of that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    100º temperatures in Maine? Wow... used to be cars sold in Maine were usually with air conditioning optional because it was so little needed that far north.
    Record high temperature in Maine of 105deg was set on July 10th, 1911.

Having spent most of my life within 50 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, I can honestly say that I never acclimated to the punishment that masquerades as weather along the Gulf Coast.
    Texas Trivia: I don’t think that non-residents appreciate the enormity and climatic variations of Texas. In round numbers Texas is approximately 870 highway miles across East-West & North-South. In WhiteBlaze AT trail miles speak that is Springer Mountain to Harpers Ferry.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++