WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

When we camped at Palo Duro Canyon in Texas last June the temp was 114 degrees in the canyon bottom....but very little humidity, so it was bearable....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    When we camped at Palo Duro Canyon in Texas last June the temp was 114 degrees in the canyon bottom....but very little humidity, so it was bearable....
    So long as you have a LOT of water to drink!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hiked up and over Snowbird Mountain just north of the GSMNP on July 4th last week. The top is "bald" and in full sun. Not sure what to make of it, but the recording thermometer on my shoulder strap recorded 105 as the high for the day.

We had planned on 13 miles that first day to Max Patch, but it took us two days to do that and even then we called a shuttle to be picked up the next morning. My partner was suffering. Fortunately, I've been practicing in the heat a lot this summer, so it didn't hit me as hard, but still left me in a mood to agree to the proposed change of plans.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Hiked up and over Snowbird Mountain just north of the GSMNP on July 4th last week. The top is "bald" and in full sun. Not sure what to make of it, but the recording thermometer on my shoulder strap recorded 105 as the high for the day.

We had planned on 13 miles that first day to Max Patch, but it took us two days to do that and even then we called a shuttle to be picked up the next morning. My partner was suffering. Fortunately, I've been practicing in the heat a lot this summer, so it didn't hit me as hard, but still left me in a mood to agree to the proposed change of plans.
    The trip we did in the summer of 2013 was HOT as I remember you stopping at a little creek to soak you baseball hat---

Trip 146 042-XL.jpg

Trip 146 026-XL.jpg

If I pull a long summer trip and it's particularly HOT I used "furnace" somewhere in the trip title.

On my last Cohutta/Big Frog trip I had to call it "18 Days in the Jacks River Furnace" because of the heat. Some trip pics---

Trip 184 (129)-XL.jpg
    As usual I get to see Cohutta Johnny out sunning himself on the Hemp Top Trail.

Trip 184 (240)-XL.jpg
    The only way to stand the furnace heat and not get oven-baked is to stay by a big creek and stay submerged most of the time, in this case I'm on Jacks River after a swim.

Trip 184 (378)-XL.jpg
    It was so hot one day I had to throw off the pack like a baked potato drenched in syphilis(?) and while resting I see this mammal dragging along the Big Frog Mt trail. He was so hot he couldn't give Two Craps about me or my pack or my food. He looked up eventually and said "Whatever" and with a deep sigh ambled slowly off the trail.

Which reminds me.

One of my hottest trips was a 20 day trip I did in the TN mountains and lasted most of the month of July. HOT. See trip report---

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/509350

What made this remarkable was not only the furnace heat but the 4 pit vipers I saw on the trip---one copperhead and 3 rattlesnakes---a record for one trip.

And what's also remarkable is that Rain Man was on that too!!!

TRIP 166 129-XL.jpg
    Randy Draper and Rain Man resting in the heat on the Kirkland Creek trail.

TRIP 166 039-XL.jpg
    Pit Viper #1---coppermouth on the Bald River trail.

TRIP 166 149-XL.jpg
    Pit Viper #2---Rattlehead on the State Line trail/BMT---saw it after I got water at the spring. Oops.

TRIP 166 432-XL.jpg
    Pit Viper #3---Rattlesnake on the Hangover Lead South trail/BMT. He literally jumped off the trail as I was descending.

TRIP 166 450-XL.jpg
    Pit Viper #4---On the Big Fat trail going down to Slickrock Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The other side of the coin is when a cold front bringing temperatures into the 20 with a light 2" snow occurs in Houston or San Antonio. Warnings for these events are typically big news and broadcast a day or two in front of the storm so people can get milk and bread (essential snow bound survival foods, without which death is imminent). These advisories are important for those who do not normally experience cold and snow covered roads, just as heat advisories are important for those who do not experience triple digit heat and need to be reminded of the dangers of that as well.
    Snow/ice warnings are more because entities responsible for roads where this weather is rare usually don't have the equipment and materials to clear roadways. Drivers also don't have enough experience to drive safely. It's like going to backpack in the winter and not having the experience to know what trail conditions are like in the ice and snow or what gear to bring. This is very different than a person becoming physiologically acclimatized to extremes in weather.

I just did from the Kennebeck/Caratunk up to Katahdin last week (during the heat wave). The heat/humidity were indeed pretty brutal most days for sure!
    Still... what an amazing hike!

u.w.

Just returned from a (failed) attempt at Obed WSR. Temps weren't bad, but humidity was, and I simply could not cool off despite pouring sweat. I don't know how you do it in the "furnace" heat, Tipi Walter, esp. with that load you carry. Very slow pace? How much water do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Just returned from a (failed) attempt at Obed WSR. Temps weren't bad, but humidity was, and I simply could not cool off despite pouring sweat. I don't know how you do it in the "furnace" heat, Tipi Walter, esp. with that load you carry. Very slow pace? How much water do you carry?
    When backpacking up a tough trail, I go from deep shade pockets to deep shade---and never take any kind of break or stop in direct sunlight. If things get really bad I'll stop at the barest water trickle or creek and soak my t-shirt and hat and drench my hair and face and arms.

Like the cold I get accustomed to hot weather backpacking---but I know my limits. When you say "I simply could not cool off", well, if this were true for me I'd be dead by now. I always can cool off eventually.

There's a weird sensation around my face and head when it's time to really stop and take a long cooling off break. It's like my brain starts cooking and things get oven-baked so I head for shade and throw off the pack and sit down until I return to normal. Common sense. The worst is climbing a nutbuster hill with a 3,000 foot elevation gain and there's a long stretch of no shade and direct sunlight. As you say, the muggy high humidity is a big problem in the Southeast.

Other negatories of summer backpacking?
    ** The water you carry will never be ice cold like in the winter. It'll be warm. Sucky.
    ** Your shelter---usually a haven in all conditions---becomes an Oven with no relief. My tent becomes a tarp on occasion but sometimes the nighttime temps stay hot and then nothing I do will bring relief. Carrying a battery powered floor fan would be nice . . .because Southeast summer nights are often breeze-less and calm, day after day. This stillness in the air will eventually drive you nuts. You'll crave a windy night at an exposed spot on an open bald . . .

48 degrees in Boone, NC this morning.
    A cold front?
    Be cool y’all!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    48 degrees in Boone, NC this morning.
    A cold front?
    Be cool y’all!
    Wayne
    I lived and backpacked all around Boone for 30 years and it really spoiled me. Summer temp highs were generally around 80F---but occasionally and rarely Boone gets hit with 90F.

Last July the hottest temp in Boone was 85F.

When I moved south to TN temps went up 10 degrees all across the board. And so backpacking in 95F mugginess sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    When backpacking up a tough trail, I go from deep shade pockets to deep shade---and never take any kind of break or stop in direct sunlight. If things get really bad I'll stop at the barest water trickle or creek and soak my t-shirt and hat and drench my hair and face and arms.

Like the cold I get accustomed to hot weather backpacking---but I know my limits. When you say "I simply could not cool off", well, if this were true for me I'd be dead by now. I always can cool off eventually.

There's a weird sensation around my face and head when it's time to really stop and take a long cooling off break. It's like my brain starts cooking and things get oven-baked so I head for shade and throw off the pack and sit down until I return to normal. Common sense. The worst is climbing a nutbuster hill with a 3,000 foot elevation gain and there's a long stretch of no shade and direct sunlight. As you say, the muggy high humidity is a big problem in the Southeast.

Other negatories of summer backpacking?
    ** The water you carry will never be ice cold like in the winter. It'll be warm. Sucky.
    ** Your shelter---usually a haven in all conditions---becomes an Oven with no relief. My tent becomes a tarp on occasion but sometimes the nighttime temps stay hot and then nothing I do will bring relief. Carrying a battery powered floor fan would be nice . . .because Southeast summer nights are often breeze-less and calm, day after day. This stillness in the air will eventually drive you nuts. You'll crave a windy night at an exposed spot on an open bald . . .
    Tipi, i believe you normally wear shorts? I allowed my concern for ticks and brambles to override my judgement and wore pants yesterday instead of my usual skirt. The pants made me feel so much hotter. Sweat was running into my eyes which is rare for me.

I believe there are times when one can’t control every variable but must find balance. I prefer scratched up legs and having to use bug spray if it means being cooler and more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Tipi, i believe you normally wear shorts? I allowed my concern for ticks and brambles to override my judgement and wore pants yesterday instead of my usual skirt. The pants made me feel so much hotter. Sweat was running into my eyes which is rare for me.

I believe there are times when one can’t control every variable but must find balance. I prefer scratched up legs and having to use bug spray if it means being cooler and more comfortable.
    Yes, shorts always and always shorts. It also helps to have a hiking hat which provides no irritating band pressure around the head---and something with a soft bill that can be dipped in water and wrung out. They are hard to find---

TRIP 185 (86)-XL.jpg
    TRIP 185 (88)-XL.jpg
    I think mine is a Patagonia runner's hat or something.

There's one more consideration---Find a t-shirt YOU LOVE and does not "get hot" or feel in any way smothering. (Many nylon/poly backpacking Tees are terrible). And is super soft. It may take awhile, but once you find a brand and size, buy 5 of them.

My current fave is North Face Reaxion---and I got 5 of them. Lightweight, super soft, wicks fast and dries fast---doesn't feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag.

THF_REAXION_A9HS_SCZ_hero_1024x1024.jpg
    https://www.outdoorsinc.com/products...axion-amp-crew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++