WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Danner Light Cascade

Any advice on these Boots?

http://www.danner.com/men/hike/danne...cascade-1.html

thinking about trying them out instead of their Goretex waterproof ones hoping they dry out quicker

thanks

Holy guacamole, 61 oz — 3.8 lbs — per pair?!!

Maybe consider some trail runners like Altra Lone Peaks... about 21 oz per pair.

Give the leather lined Lowa Renegades consideration. They come in high or low models.
    https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/renegade-ll-mid
    Good luck.
    Wayne

I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

You can get Altras, as well as other trail runners, for a third the weight and price at REI. If they don't work for you you can return them for a full refund within a year. I rather doubt you will do so. Located in Hanover NJ.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

On a less sarcastic note than my previous post, a lot of us grew up equating leather boots with foot and ankle protection when traveling outdoors. And, if most of your travel is off trail, I'd suggest it may still be a good choice in many situations for many people. But, if we mostly travel on trails, trail runners or in "extreme" cases, light-weight mids (like Merrell Moabs), light trail shoes with a bit of additional ankle support is more than enough for most people on pretty much any and all trails. Leather has a great esthetic appeal and good abrasion resistance, but it dries slowly and is heavy. Even the military figured this out a generation ago. Weight isn't everything, but it's a really big one if you are trying to, or otherwise need to, make miles.

Since this is a backpacking forum and not a hunting forum, and, there are a number of people on these forums with a lot of real backpacking experience (i.e. not you average salesperson at your local outfitter), although there are a few, you are going to find very few people here that have much use for leather boots. Heck, I have 'em, I just haven't put them on my feet in 20 years. . . Actually, I lied. I gave my leather boots away when I moved last because I never use them and they were taking up space. Also, my old feet need the extra padding of trail runners these days.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The Renegades also come on ankle high without Gore-Tex.
    One size or one menu does not fit all.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++