WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions on a larger 2 person tent?

I ordered an older model Kelty Gunnison from Sierra Trading Post that they advertised at 35+sf. They sent the new one that is 30sf and not large enough. It's going back!

I need the following:
    35+ sq ft
    Close to 5 lbs trail weight (load split between two people)
    Cost under $200.

I have found two tents so far:
    REI Half Dome - 35.8 sf, around 5lbs tw, $160 on sale thru tomorrow (reviews seem ok)
    NF Talus 3 - 39 sf, around 5.5 lbs tw, $187 also on sale (reviews better)

Can anyone recommend another tent?

Thanks!!

Leonidas

Cheap and a bit heavy but pretty bomber. We carried one on the AT in 2016 and it weathered some nasty storms.

Company info page:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/pr...g-tents/lynx-2

Cheapest place I noticed unless you have Amazon Prime and their 5% cash back card.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-m...4aArBIEALw_wcB
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks JC13! Meets all three of my criteria. Not familiar with the company. Good to hear it is durable. I will check it out.

Leonidas

Splits out decent between 2 as well, my wife carried the poles/stakes/rain fly and I carried the main body. It is the kids tent when we backpack these days, at least until I convince myself to buy a Triplex...

It is freestanding which is nice as well, especially after the kids have used it. Easy to unstake, pick it up and shake out all of the stuff they have tracked in.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

The Half Dome really turns water and has good use of space. A friend and my daughter both have one. Well worth considering.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I bought my son an alps tent, not sure the model but looks just like the one linked to except his is a 3-man if I'm remembering correctly. It does seem like a decent tent for the money. Not high end and not all that lightly made, but it was good for him in scouts. I personally prefer something with a good bit more mesh though.

I like my Half Dome 2 a lot. Mine is an older model, a few years old now.... I used it mostly as a 1-man, but have occasionally used it with me and one of my kids. I think it's a good tent and well made. I originally bought it for car camping with the scouts thinking it would be light enough for some short backpacking. Later though I decided that it's more weight than I wanted to carry on this old body. It would still be a good tent for backpacking or car camping though. Lots of mesh, good fly, nice poles and pole configuration.

Big Agnes CS3 makes for a great two person tent. Many people would question splitting a tent between two people. If somehow you got separated, or if a pack got stolen, then all you are left with is 1/2 a useless tent.

Wife and I share an REI Half Dome when I don't sleep outside cowboy style.

Easy, intuitive set up. Put up very first time with the headlights from the car and no instructions. Have put up and dropped in the rain.

Enough room for two of us. Vestibule on each side for my gear and her gear. Room for both of us to sleep without touching (too hot). I am 6'0" and she is 5'0". She uses the extra foot of space for girl stuff.

Plenty of ventilation with adjustments if too hot or cold. Have ridden out a couple heavy rain showers without issues.

I think this is our fourth season with 2-3 weeks per year and some weekend trips. Good value and using again for a week long trip this July.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Thanks JC13! Meets all three of my criteria. Not familiar with the company. Good to hear it is durable. I will check it out.
    My understanding is that the founders of ALPS Mountaineering were with Kelty prior to starting their own company. American based, not just some randos in China stealing designs, they are a legit mid market backpacking brand. Solid reviews. The only con is the weight (5+ lbs) but depending on your needs that may not be an issue.

That $76 deal currently on Steep and Cheap is very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The Half Dome really turns water and has good use of space. A friend and my daughter both have one. Well worth considering.
    What can I say. When we started downsizing and trimming gear, even though we hike with a Copper Spur we kept our Half Dome (and got rid of two other tents).

Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like both tents will fit our need. I couldn't resist the $76.78 on the Lynx 2, especially considering how good the reviews are. It should be here next Tuesday!

Happy Independence Day!!

Images

Lightheart Duo.....38 sqr feet.....45in high, 100 long by 55 wide.........2.2 lbs.!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I ordered an older model Kelty Gunnison from Sierra Trading Post that they advertised at 35+sf. They sent the new one that is 30sf and not large enough. It's going back!
    Sorry to hear that happened to you.
    I've noticed that Sierra Trading Post isn't always accurate with their specifications (look at their Marmot Ajax 2, the spec claim 36sf, but if you do the math on the dimensions given for the tent, you get only 30sf).

I've been recommending the Kelty Gunnisons at STP because they are such a great value at only $100/$110 (2-person/3-person) and the older models were bigger than what seems to be today's standard of making tents as small as possible.

Just a hand-full of years ago, you could find plenty of what I would call "plus-size" two person tents; the Kelty Gunnison 2.1 and 2.2 being examples of. But starting with the 2.3 models (the one STP apparently sent you), Kelty gave into the modern trend of going smaller.

Big Agnes has joined the trend as well. My current 2-person tent is a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 with 36.5sf of floor space I purchased about 5 years ago. Today, the largest 2-person "back packing" tent BA makes is only 32sf (with 29sf being their "typical" size for a 2-person tent).

To the best of my knowledge, REI is the only popular manufacturer still making "plus size" two person tents with their "Half Dome 'Plus'" (they use to have both a 'Half Dome' and 'Half Dome Plus').

Otherwise you're limited to looking at 3-person tents.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 07-05-2018 at 12:37.

I have a half dome, previous model I think. I was referring back to the web site looking for some spec on my tent, and I noticed that they no longer have the standard half dome, only the plus. I thought that was odd, don't really get it....

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I have a half dome, previous model I think. I was referring back to the web site looking for some spec on my tent, and I noticed that they no longer have the standard half dome, only the plus. I thought that was odd, don't really get it....
    IIRC the new half dome plus is a bit smaller, so in essence maybe they merged the model sizes? Either that or they're just delayed in bringing out the new version of the standard model.

+1 on the Half Dome 2 Plus.....love it, and it even fits Snacktime +1
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

If weight isn't a huge concern then I would suggest checking the seek outside line of tents .
    They make a line of tipi style tents that are huge for two people up to six people.
    I have a two person silvertip and swear it can fit four people in it easily.

Images

Here is another plug for the Copper Spur 3. It’s a great tent and durable also. My wife and I have shared one for well over 1500 trail miles and I am 6’4” , 220 lbs. It accommodates our needs very nicely and gives us room to store some gear in our tent plus a nice roomy vestibule that stays dry.

++ New Posts ++