WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default The "leave no trace" movie thread

Seen it? If so, what did you think? Saw an article about it? Comment away... I read the NYT article... seems interesting. I guess it was just released... I know. Not really about the AT, but subject of interest.
    Lazarus

Images

Hey Laz, I have been waiting for this movie to come out too. It is playing in Boston right now (Cambridge actually), I will have to see if the wife wants to see it tonight.

A fictional movie with a similar theme that came out 2 years ago is "Captain Fantastic." We had a split decision on that one. I was thumbs up based on my interest in the family's off-the-grid lifestyle and the terrific child actors, my wife was thumbs down because she took issue with the father's amoral behavior.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

https://youtu.be/_07ktacEGo8

saw the trailer, looks good. Not playing in my area. Rotten tomatoes gave it 100%

i greatly empathize with the characters

Images

The thread is for "Appalachian Trail in the News." Was there a tie-in to the AT that I missed? (wouldn't be the first time)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

In a similar vein, I learned about a documentary film that profiled an old man in Sweden who wanted to live a traditional (i.e. 19th century) lifestyle but the government wouldn't allow it because they at his age, he was deemed to be "a threat" to himself and his farm animals. Apparently this man became quite a celebrity in Sweden because of the way he was mistreated by the government. I heard about this because this man lived on the same farm that my great grand father lived on in the 19th century before emigrating to the US.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

But did they broadcast their coffee grounds into the woods?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I saw 'Leave No Trace' last night. I enjoyed it, it is a small 'quiet' movie, it is not going to make you say 'Wow' or knock you over, but it is enjoyable. The living off the land portion of the movie is fairly short, so if that is what you are showing up for you might be disappointed.

On the way to the theatre I convinced my wife that we were going to see a documentary on backwoods LNT ethics narrated by Al Gore. I practically had to drag her into the theatre She was greatly relieved when she saw that was not the case, although she kept worrying old Al was going to pop into the plot line at any moment. At the end she gave the movie a 'Thumbs Up' like me.

For those who don't know, this movie is based on a true story, although the last third of the plot is a fictional account invented by the author. An interesting insight into people on the edges of society.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I saw 'Leave No Trace' last night. I enjoyed it, it is a small 'quiet' movie, it is not going to make you say 'Wow' or knock you over, but it is enjoyable. The living off the land portion of the movie is fairly short, so if that is what you are showing up for you might be disappointed.

On the way to the theatre I convinced my wife that we were going to see a documentary on backwoods LNT ethics narrated by Al Gore. I practically had to drag her into the theatre She was greatly relieved when she saw that was not the case, although she kept worrying old Al was going to pop into the plot line at any moment. At the end she gave the movie a 'Thumbs Up' like me.

For those who don't know, this movie is based on a true story, although the last third of the plot is a fictional account invented by the author. An interesting insight into people on the edges of society.
    Did you tell her the subtitle was “An Inconvenient Privy?”

Images

OMO, do you have a name for this movie? I am trying to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In a similar vein, I learned about a documentary film that profiled an old man in Sweden who wanted to live a traditional (i.e. 19th century) lifestyle but the government wouldn't allow it because they at his age, he was deemed to be "a threat" to himself and his farm animals. Apparently this man became quite a celebrity in Sweden because of the way he was mistreated by the government. I heard about this because this man lived on the same farm that my great grand father lived on in the 19th century before emigrating to the US.

John Greenleaf Whittier

I'm in. Looks good. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    But did they broadcast their coffee grounds into the woods?
    pack.it.out

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    OMO, do you have a name for this movie? I am trying to find it.
    There are two movies. The first, The Horseman, was about the old man Stig-Anders Svensson living a traditional life alone on a farm.
    The second, The Horseman's Last Stand, is about the government's efforts to take away Stig-Anders farm animals.
    As far as I know the movies are only in Swedish. There may be a subtitled version on YouTube.

Here is the plot synopsis from IMDB: "The Swedish farmer Stig-Anders Svensson who lives in the rural village Råskog in southern Sweden, received a great deal of attention when "The Horseman's Last Stand" documentary was released. Since then he has pursued a fierce battle with the authorities to keep his horses. A fight that has evolved into a question about justice and morality. How do we treat those who are perceived as different? Do the actions by the animal protection inspectors rely on their merits, or are there other, more personal, reasons for their interference? Meanwhile Stig-Anders continues to work on the farm, determined to fulfill his task according to the old traditions and fight for his right to keep horses like his forefathers always did."

I took these picture when I visited last year. Stig-Anders was born here in 1945. My great grandfather (no relation to Stig, that I know of) was born here in 1861. His mother was born here in 1835. Her father (my great-great-great grandfather) died here in 1884.

roskog.JPGroskog2.JPG

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    pack.it.out
    The squirrels need the caffeine. They told me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    There are two movies. The first, The Horseman, was about the old man Stig-Anders Svensson living a traditional life alone on a farm.
    The second, The Horseman's Last Stand, is about the government's efforts to take away Stig-Anders farm animals.
    As far as I know the movies are only in Swedish. There may be a subtitled version on YouTube.

Here is the plot synopsis from IMDB: "The Swedish farmer Stig-Anders Svensson who lives in the rural village Råskog in southern Sweden, received a great deal of attention when "The Horseman's Last Stand" documentary was released. Since then he has pursued a fierce battle with the authorities to keep his horses. A fight that has evolved into a question about justice and morality. How do we treat those who are perceived as different? Do the actions by the animal protection inspectors rely on their merits, or are there other, more personal, reasons for their interference? Meanwhile Stig-Anders continues to work on the farm, determined to fulfill his task according to the old traditions and fight for his right to keep horses like his forefathers always did."

I took these picture when I visited last year. Stig-Anders was born here in 1945. My great grandfather (no relation to Stig, that I know of) was born here in 1861. His mother was born here in 1835. Her father (my great-great-great grandfather) died here in 1884.

roskog.JPGroskog2.JPG
    Thanks for the info OMO. Looks like these documentaries have not been subtitled, so that leaves me out. I saw a fictional Swedish movie titled 'A Man Called One' that also painted Swedish bureaucracy in a bad light. Perhaps the nanny state is getting a bit out of control over there?

Glad to hear that you were able to visit the family farm. It looks lovely there. There is nothing like walking in your ancestors footsteps.

John Greenleaf Whittier

++ New Posts ++