WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Segments 1 & 2... starting tomorrow!

Hello... first post on this forum. Found it while searching for CT information. Starting the trail tomorrow, doing it in sections with my wife & daughter. Hope to complete it in the next few years doing a few segments every summer. Got a couple general questions...

We're starting at Waterton canyon tomorrow (July 2nd). I meant to call and make sure the area is open. I've seen a couple people say they've showed up and the area was closed for one reason or another? I looked a couple weeks ago and it appeared open. Time got away and I haven't been able to call. Just want to make sure there's no surprise when we show up tomorrow morning!

Also planning to park a vehicle at the end of segment two. Any issues with that? Once again, don't want to show up to park a vehicle and see signs that say "no over night parking" or something. Is there a parking lot at this trailhead to park?

Any additional information on these two segments is welcome. Planning to complete segment one in a day, stay the night and complete segment two the next day. We have the option of staying another night if needed. Appreciate any replies... thanks!

Waterton Canyon is closed for a week or two in the spring for service to the dam or something, but is open now. I have seen reports of recent bear activity in seg 1 on the CT Facebook page, not sure exactly where, you might want to check that out. The guide book shows a possible campsite at mile 16.6, but you'll have to go down to the Platte river to get water, an additional 0.2 miles and 100 lower. I don't remember seeing camping at the river, which is also a road crossing. The last reliable water was at mile 8.1 (which is where I camped).

Segment 2 is 10 miles of walking across an old burn area. No shade and no water and can be brutally hot in the afternoon. There is no water once you cross the river. I got to the fire station just as it was getting dark and completely out of water. (but I was hiking in early September, so the days were a bit shorter and I did like 18 miles from the Seg 1 campsite). There is a big parking lot (fee) at the start of segment 3 (which is a mile so from the fire station). Seg 3 is a real popular mountain biking area.

Speaking of mountain bikes, both seg 1 and 2 have a fair amount of bike traffic. Some will ring their little bell when they get close, some will run you over. Their real quiet and can sneak up on you with out notice. Blind switchbacks are the worse, especially if your going up and their going down - like a bat out of hell.

So, bottom line - carry a **** load of water and have a wide brim hat for the exposed sections or you'll get fried to a crisp. Use plenty of sun block.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Should be absolutely no problem. There is a fire along highway 285, but way further south near Weston pass (SW of Fairplay).

https://kdvr.com/2018/06/30/weston-p...f-highway-285/

I've parked at the end of Segment 2 a couple times, no problem. There is a parking lot.

Too bad you're not starting today! Nice and cool out there. Get an early start tomorrow walking up Waterton Canyon if you can, it gets pretty toasty by noon or so.

Great. Another fire. Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

Thank you for the replies! Nice to know before hand that parking shouldn't be an issue and thanks for the tip on the second segment being exposed so hat's & sunscreen are needed. The guide book states there's a "dry" campsite at mile 13.0 of segment 1. We will probably plan to stay there the first night. Hopefully it's not too bad of a hike to go get water if needed? I'd like to get as far as possible the first day so day two isn't so long.

Does anyone know at what point you start getting into the burn area? Is it all in segment 2? Just thinking, I hope where I'm planning to camp isn't in the burn area?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Thank you for the replies! Nice to know before hand that parking shouldn't be an issue and thanks for the tip on the second segment being exposed so hat's & sunscreen are needed. The guide book states there's a "dry" campsite at mile 13.0 of segment 1. We will probably plan to stay there the first night. Hopefully it's not too bad of a hike to go get water if needed? I'd like to get as far as possible the first day so day two isn't so long.
    There is not water anywhere near mile 13, so just tank up at the mile 8-ish water source, enough for the night and morning, then 3.5 more miles to the Platte River the next morning. After the platte crossing, it's what, 11.5 miles for section 2? going by memory.... There is a fantastic area of camping in section 2, maybe mile 6 or so, but before the official CT guide camp site, which is at 6.6. This of course is bone dry, but again, if you tank up at the river enough for the 6 miles, camp, then another 6 in the morning, you'll be great. This assumes you want two nights. If just one night, then you've got a good plan, camp at 13, finish to car the next day, 15 miles.

The pic below shows the view from this camp at mile 6 in section 2. It's left of the trail, there are some faint user trails here and there. That's Pike's Peak in the distance, Rayleigh peak to the left, one of the Scraggy peaks on the right (IIRC).

OR, do it backwards. Really doesn't matter much.

Don't be scared away by reports of being bone dry and hot (both of which are true), I really kinda like section 2. Nice views. FLowers should be spectacular. I kinda like an area after a burn (16 years ago, the Hayman fire). Cool to see things recovering. Also, I've found the MB traffic on weekdays to be much less of a bother, and furthermore, section 3 is The Worst for MB traffic. Not 1-2.

If I sound like a know-it-all on this part of the trail, please forgive, I've hiked it or biked it a half dozen times. I have half a mind to hike it again starting tomorrow myself....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Does anyone know at what point you start getting into the burn area? Is it all in segment 2? Just thinking, I hope where I'm planning to camp isn't in the burn area?
    The camp place in my post just below, at mile 6 in section 2, is out of the burn area. The burn area starts maybe at mile 1 in section 2, extends to mile 4-5 or so. As I said, it'a actually kinda cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    If I sound like a know-it-all on this part of the trail, please forgive, I've hiked it or biked it a half dozen times. I have half a mind to hike it again starting tomorrow myself....
    Really appreciate the help! Your information about no water at mile 13 and tanking up at mile 8ish will save me some brain damage of trying to decide what to do. We will try to do just one night but am prepared to make it two if needed. Thanks again for all the replies!

Images

Really appreciate the help! Your information about no water at mile 13 and tanking up at mile 8ish will save me some brain damage of trying to decide what to do. We will try to do just one night but am prepared to make it two if needed. Thanks again for all the replies!
    You've inspired me, I'm going to start tomorrow morning at Kenosha pass and hike sections 5-3 in a couple days, have to be home Wednesday morning.

You've inspired me, I'm going to start tomorrow morning at Kenosha pass and hike sections 5-3 in a couple days, have to be home Wednesday morning.
    Nice... Have fun!!!

Nice... Have fun!!!

According to CT hikers I talked to last week while trying to do the Collegiate Loop...none of the seasonal water sources are flowing in the early sections so don't rely on them

Segments 1 & 2 are in the books! Ended up doing just an overnighter. Day two was really long, getting to the trailhead at 6:45 PM after starting at 6:45 AM. It wouldn't take most people that long but I had my 11 year old daughter & my father in-law who isn't able to go very fast with me. Here's some information or observations I made for anyone who might see this post and is getting ready to do these two segments...

I drove to the end of segment two (Scraggy Creek Trailhead) on Sunday night to park my truck. The lot is a fee area as mentioned, I think $7 a day. I was confused on wether or not you could leave your vehicle over night as the sign stated the area closes at 9:00 PM? There are a couple no fee parking areas on the forest service road close by though. The first was only 0.2 mile from the trailhead. So I parked there and drove home. Next day we got a ride to the Waterton Canyon trailhead. Started hiking about 8:45. Brutally hot on the first few miles on the road! Saw a band of ewes & lambs then a band of rams right on the side of the road. We literally walked right by them at 15 feet. These sheep are obviously really tame!

As we turned onto the trail the "aggressive bear in area" warning signs were posted. It stated a bear tore up a tent at bear creek recently along with several other reports. We made it to bear creek and there was just a couple puddles to get water from. Luckily there was water but not real appetizing looking. Stagnant with mosquitoes. Ran into a large group of (boyscouts?) that planned to camp for the night. With the aggressive bear in the area and the fact that this area is in a dark hole of sorts I was glad we had decided to push on. Ended up stoping at around mile 12 or 13 to camp for the night. It was a small area basically right on the trail but by the end of the night there was 5 tents and 9 people camped there for the night!

The next morning we made it down to the south platte where we spent about an hour drinking and filtering water along with using the toilet facilities. Left the river at 10:30 AM and once again it was smokin hot! Made it up the long climb to where the burn area started. Still very hot until we hit the trees again and started getting some much needed cloud cover that would stick around the remainder of the day with a little breeze off and on making the rest of the day tolerable. The hike through the treed area was nice as the country opened up a lot more than what we went through in the first segment. Seemed to be lots of nice areas to camp through here. Broke out into the burn area again until we reached the highway. Now just a short distance to the trailhead to end the day! Arriving at the trailhead and my truck at 6:45 PM.

Appreciate the helpful posts... will be looking at segments 3 & 4 later this month and will probably have some questions for anyone who's done them lately. Thanks...

Saw a band of ewes & lambs then a band of rams right on the side of the road. We literally walked right by them at 15 feet. These sheep are obviously really tame!
    Yeah I don't know if it's so much "tame" as just their nature. I saw the same thing, and shot some video, up along Spray Lakes above Canmore. Someone told me they like to get minerals from the side of the road or something. They seemed oblivious to my presence and they were close enough to reach out and touch. I imaging they might not be so tame if you did, though. lol

Thanks for your report. I'm planning to do this and start sectioning the CT this Summer as well. Still trying to get plans solidified. Probably in 3 works or so or maybe wait till later in August.

And watch out for the livestock protection dogs in sheep country. They are there even if you don't see them and you don't want to get caught messing with their herd

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    And watch out for the livestock protection dogs in sheep country. They are there even if you don't see them and you don't want to get caught messing with their herd
    I think we're talking about two different sheep here... We saw Rocky Mountain Bighorns, not domestic (livestock) sheep. I have had encounters with the big white dogs you're referring to that tend to the sheep herds. They can be a little intimidating for sure!

I think we're talking about two different sheep here... We saw Rocky Mountain Bighorns, not domestic (livestock) sheep. I have had encounters with the big white dogs you're referring to that tend to the sheep herds. They can be a little intimidating for sure!
    Ah, yeah, I missed it if you specified it.

++ New Posts ++