WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Painting tyvek

Images

Default Painting tyvek

Any good ways to dye/stain paint tyvek to a fairly dark color? Did a quick search here and a long search on the twebs...

I don't imagine there is a good way to dye it. The point is kind of that it doesn't absorb water, so the dye probably wouldn't keep. You could try some sort of wood stain. I only say that because I accidentally sprayed fence stain on a piece of siding on my house and it is in there real good. Painting would be fine, I am sure, although it would likely flake and peel. This is all just speculation based on no experience with trying this. Try some stuff on a piece and see how it turns out!

With that being said, why are you trying to paint/dye it?

Water based dyes won't work well with Tyvek given their water shedding properties which oil based stains may be the only alternative. Painting material that is designed to repel water may work in short term, but would quickly start flaking off as the material is folded, creased, and crumpled with normal use.

As with many odd things like this, Google can help find information on "how to dye Tyvek to a dark color". There are videos and narrative descriptions how to do this. However, there does not appear to be a good consensus of what impact dyes have on the material. Given Tyvek is typically used as a water barrier, water based dyes won't work well. Applying any chemical based dye (petroleum base) to it would likely cause it to break down faster over time, especially when exposed to sunlight over long periods of time and erode the water repelling feature. That said, there may be speciality Tyvek type fabric materials that are not brilliant white or blue that can be used (translating to "probably expensive") which are dark colored but I have not seen any myself.

I wonder what kind of ink they use to print the logo with? But after years of use, I see that is wearing off too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Any good ways to dye/stain paint tyvek to a fairly dark color? Did a quick search here and a long search on the twebs...
    Sharpie. Buy the Super Permanent with the biggest tip you can find then color away. I they used to call"Super Permanent" " Scientific" or "Industrial". It could be used for marking Pyrex beakers and such.

Good Luck

This is the "Industrial" but, is apparently only comes in fine point so, it might take awhile.

http://www.sharpie.com/sharpie/indus...BlackFine.html

My wife is a art person who has worked with tyvek. She likes Tim Holtz Distress spray inks(available jo-ann fabrics) after coating the tyvek with jesso. Also Youtube-how to dye tyvek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randall_mcduberson View Post

With that being said, why are you trying to paint/dye it?
    I don't want the bright white, I want to tone it down and blend with nature the best I can....

I am using about a 9x12 piece so the permanant marker would be much.

I wondered about the ink they print on it, and wouldn't care if it faded over time.

I seen some people make book covers out of tyvek, not house wrap but,,, Don't recall the paint they use (youtube) but looks like some good colors to kind of camouflage it a little,,, Was kind of hoping for something I may have around the house...

I made a homemade dye out of old coffee, teas, and some other stuff I tested out in hot water, that I knew wouldn't work well and didn't work well at all, it took to the softening creases a tiny bit, but makes it just look 30 years old and grungy,,, and would make any future applications of anything stick even less I am sure.

I have a little bit of deck stain going bad in a bucket I will try...

think I will make a rain kilt and maybe a poncho as well with the tyvek.

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    I don't want the bright white, I want to tone it down and blend with nature the best I can.....
    I keep trying to make the switch to 1.5mil polycryo for my ground sheet for the total waterproofness and smaller/lighter pack size/weight but I keep coming back to tyvek for its brilliant white. Something comforting about the ability to easily spot the creepy crawlies against the white background, esp. the dang Lyme ticks - it's my island of safety to sit/lie down on.

rustoleum should work, sharpies will bleed off onto your other gear

++ New Posts ++