WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation July at Glacier N. P. Section

Hi Guys,

I´ll hike the Glacier section nobo next month.

Is it too high at the Passes, what´s the low average temperature? I ask to know the equipment for cold i´ll need.

Thanks

It can get below freezing at night or snow any time of year. It can also be hot and sunny, sometimes the same day. Be prepared and have fun. I assume you have reserved an itinerary.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

No, not reserved, I just thought starting at Maria Pass and going nobo till Canadian frontier. Need advance planning, many equipment?

The snow plows just got the road across the park open last Saturday. It’s entirely possible that none of the CDT passes are open. The bridges may not be in place.
    You are totally unprepared. You can’t just show up and hike through Glacier NP. Call the Backcountry Ranger desk and find out if and when you can hike the CDT in the park.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

".....none of the CDT passes are open " . Even in mid-July ? I'll be there on the 10th.

Birdscope, keep your Glacier NP CDT routes open to alternatives. There really is no one CDT route through G NP. As Venchka said discuss your plans with G NP Rangers.

Open passes on trail doesn't necessarily mean no snow will be encountered on July 10. If you plan on the Highline Tr into Waterton Provincial park in Canada or using the Ptarmigan Tunnel make sure the tunnel is open and the state of the Highline. On the Highline there's a steep section that can hold snow into July you would likely want (might need) one or two ice axes and crampons. Discuss this with the Many Glacier back country Office asking if any Rangers have hiked it by July 10. I'd directly ask them also about temps.

You need a permit for a specific campsite for each night that you are in Glacier NP. Everything is explained on the internet. You just have to look.
    Snow on the trails is one problem. Unbridged snow melt swollen stream crossings are a potentially more serious problem.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

I just found this. Backcountry campsite vacancies through July 2. In a week + you’re going to be able to choose your itinerary.
    https://home.nps.gov/applications/gl...escgstatus.cfm
    Wayne

A couple of years ago after a low snow season, I went to Glacier on July 1. Some of the passes were still unpassable and rivers suicidal to ford without the bridges in place. That part of Montana was one of the few places in the country to get big snow amounts this winter, so snow could well still be a problem. It is Glacier after all.

Temps can be 37C in the afternoon sun and 4C at night when your camped next to a Glacier lake, and most of the campsites are next to lakes. There is almost no shade, you must wear a wide brim hat for sun protection.

As a single camper, getting a permit as a walk in shouldn't be a problem, but there is a chance you'll have to work around what's available and that can mean longer or shorter days then you really want. So getting it done on line early is a good idea.

The easiest way to get to Glacier is by Amtrak train to East Glacier. There are two hostels in East Glacier. I liked the one behind the Mexican restaurant. Park shuttles can get your around to some extent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Birdscope, keep your Glacier NP CDT routes open to alternatives. There really is no one CDT route through G NP. As Venchka said discuss your plans with G NP Rangers.

Open passes on trail doesn't necessarily mean no snow will be encountered on July 10. If you plan on the Highline Tr into Waterton Provincial park in Canada or using the Ptarmigan Tunnel make sure the tunnel is open and the state of the Highline. On the Highline there's a steep section that can hold snow into July you would likely want (might need) one or two ice axes and crampons. Discuss this with the Many Glacier back country Office asking if any Rangers have hiked it by July 10. I'd directly ask them also about temps.
    Just got back from Glacier NP, Highline trail trail closed at Logan Pass due to snow, Ptarmiagn tunnel and trail closed past Ptarmigan Falls due to bear activity.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Montana and Wyoming both had big snow years so do expect snow still at higher elevations...shoot they just had more snow this week.

Texas Bob,
    You’re killing me! We went as far as Yellowstone this year.
    Thinking really hard about Glacier next year.
    Birdscope apparently bailed out and settled for the East Coast.
    Thanks for the report.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Texas Bob,
    You’re killing me! We went as far as Yellowstone this year.
    Thinking really hard about Glacier next year.
    Birdscope apparently bailed out and settled for the East Coast.
    Thanks for the report.
    Wayne
    The wife had a business trip to Calgary, I joined her and we went to Glacier and Waterton. Glacier is beautiful but crowded and there was a fire in Waterton last year and most everything west of the town is closed. The Many Glacier campground had a bear incident and no tent or popup camping allowed, only hardsided RV's. My wife doesn't camp so we stayed at Many Glacier lodge and did some day hiking. Wanted to go to Grinnell glacier but the trail was blocked by snow about half way to the glacier so we went to Iceberg Lake instead. Houston is hotter than heck now so it was really nice to hike across some snow fields and feel the cold. Saw a couple of Grizzlies and a black bear from the car, some mountain goats and a moose while hiking. Go before the glaciers are gone.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Go before the glaciers are gone.
    looked at another way, once the glaciers are gone, one can visit the area as it was in say 1300 or 1400, before the glaciers that are currently there were formed.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    The wife had a business trip to Calgary, I joined her and we went to Glacier and Waterton. Glacier is beautiful but crowded and there was a fire in Waterton last year and most everything west of the town is closed. The Many Glacier campground had a bear incident and no tent or popup camping allowed, only hardsided RV's. My wife doesn't camp so we stayed at Many Glacier lodge and did some day hiking. Wanted to go to Grinnell glacier but the trail was blocked by snow about half way to the glacier so we went to Iceberg Lake instead. Houston is hotter than heck now so it was really nice to hike across some snow fields and feel the cold. Saw a couple of Grizzlies and a black bear from the car, some mountain goats and a moose while hiking. Go before the glaciers are gone.
    Thanks. We had similar experiences in the Tetons and Yellowstone in late May. Water low and snow high. Crowds everywhere until you got away from the parking lots.
    I escaped Houston a couple years ago. We went back to see the Eagles. That was long enough.
    Wayne

Meant to say, Open passes on roadway doesn't necessarily mean no snow will be encountered on July 10 on trail at passes. AND, even though roads such as Going to the Sun can be open they can, and this yr they likely will, be like a road within a canyon of snow into July. Trail on the Divide will hold snow later. East side CDT routes in mid July is what I'd initially plan on. If you look at say Ley's CDT mapset or the NG TI G NP map there are more than one CDT routes. This is one of the reasons...early CDT starts or late CDT finishes, high snow yrs, going into(or not) Canada),...

Meant to say, Open passes on roadway doesn't necessarily mean no snow will be encountered on July 10 on trail at passes. AND, even though roads such as Going to the Sun can be open they can, and this yr they likely will, be like a road within a canyon of snow into July. Trail on the Divide will hold snow later. East side CDT routes in mid July is what I'd initially plan on. If you look at say Ley's CDT mapset or the NG TI G NP map there are more than one CDT routes. This is one of the reasons...early CDT starts or late CDT finishes, high snow yrs, going into(or not) Canada),...
    When I went through Glacier in mid July a few years ago on the Going to the Sun Road the pass at the visitor center still had walls of snow 8ft high

Meanwhile, the OP has bailed out and settled for the East Coast.
    Lots of low level trail miles are open. You just have to dial back the 3 letter trail name OCD. And be very careful with stream crossings.
    If Colorado doesn’t get some rain soon, my granddaughter and I might be headed that way.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    When I went through Glacier in mid July a few years ago on the Going to the Sun Road the pass at the visitor center still had walls of snow 8ft high
    June 27 2010 it was 17 ft deep. Kinda strange walking through a canyon with snow that deep and canyon walls perfectly vertical. Watching the crews plow snow that deep is a sight.

June 27 2010 it was 17 ft deep. Kinda strange walking through a canyon with snow that deep and canyon walls perfectly vertical. Watching the crews plow snow that deep is a sight.
    And for reference to the OP's question...the pass I mentioned is right at around 8500ft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++