WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Permethrin

I believe the instructions for Permethrin state not to use it is areas that come in contact with skin (like underwear). I spray my shoes, outside of socks, and the outside(to about halfway up) of long pant legs. The much greater danger is inhaling the spray as you apply. Use a mask and gloves when applying to avoid direct exposure when wet.

[QUOTE=Nimblewill;2213842]Permethrin exposure is linked to development of Parkinson's disease, among others. It's a grim diagnosis, especially in the later stages of the disease. The toxin permethrin, like many insecticides, destroys the part of the brain that controls movement.

Here are some fun facts that may be help you live a life that is not filled with anxiety:

1) Mice are not people.
    2) It's the dose that makes the poison.
    3) Correlation does not prove causality.
    4) Everyone dies.

Almost anything can kill you in large enough doses but that doesn't mean that there is a risk in lower doses. Cyanide is quite toxic but you breathe cyanide everyday: it's a naturally occurring trace element in our atmosphere. I doubt that logic will influence the poster's opinion but at least we can help put this kind of scaremongering into context.

"You can not use reason to change the opinion of someone that did not use reason to form their opinion in the first place" Benjamin Frankin

Journal Entries

Well said Jayne. You to Benny.
    Blackheart

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    If you avoided everything that was bad for you, you should just dig a hole and have someone cover you in dirt.
    but that would be bad for you...

Journal Entries

Yea it would, but you don't need to worry about it for too long, you would be dead.
    Blackheart

All you can do is try to live a chemical free life. Be diligent because chemicals are everywhere. Acetylsalicylic acid, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, titanium dioxide, potassium carbonate, acetic acid and ascorbic acid are present in almost every home and office environment.

Most alarmingly, its almost impossible to avoid dihydrogen mononxide or DHMO in everyday life. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    All you can do is try to live a chemical free life. Be diligent because chemicals are everywhere. Acetylsalicylic acid, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, titanium dioxide, potassium carbonate, acetic acid and ascorbic acid are present in almost every home and office environment.

Most alarmingly, its almost impossible to avoid dihydrogen mononxide or DHMO in everyday life. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    You have be particularly careful of the dihydrogen monoxide - it's in almost everything

-

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    You have be particularly careful of the dihydrogen monoxide - it's in almost everything
    you definitely don't want to drink the stuff, with what intimate acts fish do in it

For those who enjoy linking recent threads, the fact that we have moved on to the apparent risks of dihydrogen monoxide suggests that we should now get deeply engaged (again) in a prolonged discussion of whether and when this ubiquitous chemical requires filtration on the trail, or is best enjoyed in its untreated state, 'raw' dihydrogen monoxide.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    . . . suggests that we should now get deeply engaged (again) in a prolonged discussion of whether and when this ubiquitous chemical requires filtration on the trail, or is best enjoyed in its untreated state, 'raw' dihydrogen monoxide.
    I'd just like to say that for those of us that hold our freedom in highest regards for those of us that want to live life to the fullest in it's most raw, natural and thrilling state, filtering diyhydrogen monoxide before swallowing is like using a condom, wearing a seatbelt or dawning a bicycle helmet. Life should be experienced, NOT protected from!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I'd just like to say that for those of us that hold our freedom in highest regards for those of us that want to live life to the fullest in it's most raw, natural and thrilling state, filtering diyhydrogen monoxide before swallowing is like using a condom, wearing a seatbelt or dawning a bicycle helmet. Life should be experienced, NOT protected from!
    ...so... you're anti permethrin, pro tick check?

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    For those who enjoy linking recent threads, the fact that we have moved on to the apparent risks of dihydrogen monoxide suggests that we should now get deeply engaged (again) in a prolonged discussion of whether and when this ubiquitous chemical requires filtration on the trail, or is best enjoyed in its untreated state, 'raw' dihydrogen monoxide.
    I've yet to find a filter that can remove the dihydrogen monoxide from my drinking water! The current filters on the market just can't handle it. Maybe I should just start carrying more dehydrated drinking water......

LovelyDay
    Images

I dunno what a buff is, but that doesnt matter.
    Permethrin by Sawyers is available at Walmart sporting goods department with a hand pump; no propellentent. Just Pump the trigger.
    Pyrethrum is the juice from chrysanthemums. Do you have an allergy to chrysanthemums? Your concern may be regarding chemical propellents.
    Have a Lovely Day.

Oh, so much fodder. So little time.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    ...so... you're anti permethrin, pro tick check?
    I confess. I do both. Apparently I'm not the purist I profess to be. I really don't like blood sucking vermin of any kind.

I've yet to find a filter that can remove the dihydrogen monoxide from my drinking water! The current filters on the market just can't handle it. Maybe I should just start carrying more dehydrated drinking water......
    The best filter I've found for DHMO is a tightly closed water bottle. They work surprisingly well, are relatively cheap, and most of us already have them. So, does that make my water bottle a multi-use item? So much thinking . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyDay View Post
    . . . Pyrethrum is the juice from chrysanthemums. Do you have an allergy to chrysanthemums? Your concern may be regarding chemical propellents. . .
    Actually permethrin is a synthetically manufactured chemical that is analogous to, one could say an enhanced version of, but not exactly the same as a chemical that can be found in a chrysanthemum. Anyone that has told you it is chrysanthemum juice doesn't understand what they are talking about. As for propellent allergies, that is highly unlikely because propellents are generally gasses that evaporate as they push the product out of the pressurized can. Now, one could have allergies to the solvents that carry the active ingredient (i.e. the other 99.5% of your after-market permethrin clothing treatment) except, in the case of Sawyer the solvent is water.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

I volunteer to be a female tick inspector. Sorry my mind went to the gutter again.
    Blackheart

-

problem with every dehydrated water I buy, is you need to add dihydrogen monoxide - just can not get away from these dangerous chemicals

-

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I volunteer to be a female tick inspector. Sorry my mind went to the gutter again.
    are you going to start a gofundme for the sex change operation?

Journal Entries

No, but I am very professional while conducting inspections.
    Blackheart

very good article on the subject of permethrin.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ived-from-mums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++