WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Non-Inflatable Pad?

After my air pad sprung another leak on the 2nd night of a 3 nighter plus a new one will cost almost as much as my tent (how is that even possible), I've decided to search for a good non-inflatable pad.

I found the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad, but it gets really mixed reviews. Any suggestions on good non-inflatable pads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    . . . I found the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad, but it gets really mixed reviews. Any suggestions on good non-inflatable pads?
    The only negative reviews you will see for the z-rest pads are from people that think they should be something they are not and were never intended to be. It would be like a backpacker complaining that their Sealy Posturepedic mattress sucks because it is so heavy and bulky. Some people are just bone-heads.

Z-rest pads are great for what they are, reasonably durable, easily foldable, ultra-light reasonably insulated foam pads that offer a little bit of padding. The Thermarest Ridge-Rest pad is a bit more padding and a bit more insulation and a fair bit harder to fold/roll up and thus a fair bit bulkier than the Z-rest. There are lots of other closed cell foam pads out there, many cheap knock-offs of the thermarest models. They all have the same problems - bulk and lack of plush padding, because providing plush padding would add lots of weight and even more bulk. But, none of them will ever spring a leak that causes them to deflate in the middle of the night.

So, it's your choice. Either figure out how to keep your inflatable pad safe (higher end ones are often a bit more durable) or live with the super-durable, bulky, not-very-padded closed cell foam pads.

Also, for what it's worth, there are a lot of differences (many not visible) in different inflatable and self-inflating pads making some really great and some pretty much a waste of money. Where-as the differences in most closed cell foam pads are generally pretty obvious and straight forward.

If you can sleep on a CCF pad comfortably all night long, I'd go that route immediately and not look back (Z-rest is my personal favorite for most uses). But, many of us need more padding to sleep well and for us, we are stuck dealing with figuring out how to buy a reasonably durable inflatable pad and treat it in a way that it is unlikely to get a hole in it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Remember a tip from Andrew Skurka....FIRST find small contours in the ground using your ground cloth and sleeping pad BEFORE setting the tent or tarp over that natural feature that works with your anatomy. I found that a slight dip for my rump or raised root under my knees is a HUGE help to a comfortable night.

++ New Posts ++