WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flying with gear advice

I'm going to be flying into DC for a trip starting at Harpers Ferry this summer can I bring food stuff in my bag and if so will I have to check it rather than carry on ?what can I not bring other than a fuel canister. Since most of my food stuff will be in foil pouches as purchased at a grocery store would it be better to mail a box to the hospital I am starting from?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's a start

https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...port-security/
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

Flammable material is a BIG no-no, and a stove with even a trace of fuel might be problematic. Since you mention canisters, I conclude your stove will be okay.

Journal Entries

No fuel no residue or smells

Matches lighters in carryon
    Li batteries ....read current rules

Sharps in checked

I just check bag, but carry on down and cuben.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdino View Post
    I'm going to be flying into DC for a trip starting at Harpers Ferry this summer can I bring food stuff in my bag and if so will I have to check it rather than carry on ?what can I not bring other than a fuel canister. Since most of my food stuff will be in foil pouches as purchased at a grocery store would it be better to mail a box to the hospital I am starting from?

I tend to mail food for hikes when flying to get to a hike. It makes an easier carry with less potential for TSA issues. Food is my largest single category of wt and bulk in my kit if it's 3+ days chow. I always carry my UL kit onto flights because I prefer to always have it in my possession. I've never carried any liquid food or drink on flights unless it was bought after the TSA check pt at the AP. After so many flights carrying on my pack with trail food in it I never had an issue until recently at the Sunport AP in ALB. There was absolutely nothing different about the 3 days food and the food packaging I hadn't carried on board dozens of previous domestic flights. The TSA Head Agent was a hard arse a hole roughly emptying my entire pack while threatening me about my food and threatening to make me miss my flight because I told him I never had issue in over 50 domestic flights. He gave some lame arse reason that only a few AP's including the SunPort had new rules. Overwhelming, I seek to work and comply with authority but that was one time I ran into an a hole head TSA Manager.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I tend to mail food for hikes when flying to get to a hike. It makes an easier carry with less potential for TSA issues. Food is my largest single category of wt and bulk in my kit if it's 3+ days chow. I always carry my UL kit onto flights because I prefer to always have it in my possession. I've never carried any liquid food or drink on flights unless it was bought after the TSA check pt at the AP. After so many flights carrying on my pack with trail food in it I never had an issue until recently at the Sunport AP in ALB. There was absolutely nothing different about the 3 days food and the food packaging I hadn't carried on board dozens of previous domestic flights. The TSA Head Agent was a hard arse a hole roughly emptying my entire pack while threatening me about my food and threatening to make me miss my flight because I told him I never had issue in over 50 domestic flights. He gave some lame arse reason that only a few AP's including the SunPort had new rules. Overwhelming, I seek to work and comply with authority but that was one time I ran into an a hole head TSA Manager.
    Unfortunately TSA, as well as other countries Airlines security personnel, can pretty much do whatever they want. Resisting is a good way to be delayed or even removed from a flight.

I had an agent conviscate a paper clip
    I had a bunch of paperclips in a pocket in backpack

But one was bent open....to remove sim card from phone so i could put in local sim.
    She held it up ." Not Allowed"

Whatever, ill make another

Also forced to throw away $15 in rechargeable AA NimH batteries (4). In a protective carry case.
    When only lithium was restricted.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-25-2018 at 03:56.

If you’re flying into DCA and then metroing to Union Station you have easy access to grocery stores off the metro

If you want or need specifics let me know

There is an rei behind union station as well for your needs

Garlic
    Images

Cutting tools can be problematic. I get around that by buying a package of single-edged razor blades at my destination.

Some TSA agents don't allow trekking poles. If you call them a walking aid, you might get away with it, but never argue.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    There is an rei behind union station as well for your needs
    Tks, that's helpful, I assume the metro or amtrak will allow food in foil and fuel

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    If you’re flying into DCA and then metroing to Union Station you have easy access to grocery stores off the metro

If you want or need specifics let me know
    Please would appreciate specifics

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’ve taken Amtrak several times from Harper’s Ferry to DC and have not experienced difficulty boarding with my backpacking gear most likely because of my aroma

Easiest grocery store to visit is Harris teeter which is just a block from the rei

Should have mentioned also that between rei and teeter is a metro station NoMa

You can visit wmata dot com for specifics however

From the airport take metro to metro center and switch to red line and then red line to NoMa Gallaudet station

Exit metro onto m street ne

Half block to left is rei and half block to right is teeter

Easy walk to union station from here or metro one stop back to union to catch train

I live nearby and can help you navigate further if you need more help

Have you looked into renting a vehicle and driving to Harpers Ferry from NC. Some rental agencies will pick up the vehicle when you get to your destination. I would imagine by the time you fly into DC get to the train station, wait for the next train to Harpers Ferry and arrive there, you wouldn't have too much more time invested in just driving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Have you looked into renting a vehicle and driving to Harpers Ferry from NC. Some rental agencies will pick up the vehicle when you get to your destination. I would imagine by the time you fly into DC get to the train station, wait for the next train to Harpers Ferry and arrive there, you wouldn't have too much more time invested in just driving.
    It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

BWI is a beast I am unfamiliar with

Google MARC trains but you may be able to get to HF from there

Food can be problematic as a carry on item as it may scan as a gel/liquid and be subject to the 3 oz rule. Prepared food is specifically allowed, but a bulk jar of the same food could be a problem. So a PB and J sandwich is OK, but a jar of PB and a jar of jelly, maybe not. You could argue that it should be allowed, but arguing with the TSA person is not a good idea. I always ask myself "Do I want to risk having all my plans ruined because of what a TSA agent may or may not allow?" and the answer is always "No".

I think it’s best to either mail it or buy it post air travel to limit the bobo

Quote Originally Posted by ramdino View Post
    It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

MARC goes from TGM AP to Union Sta/Amtrak. Get on Amtrak to HF from there. It's a fast commuter oriented train ride. Once at HF Amtrak Sta the AT, outfitter, CG, or CS's are a short walk. I'd walk around HF though to get in some history. I'd also walk up to the now abandoned Hill Top House for a great view overlooking a truly great scenic confluence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRqSSANSYc HT House used to have an AYCE that didn't mind AT hikers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++