WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ramdino View Post
    It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Amtrak and the MARC train from BWI to Union Station. You'd need to train from BWI to Union Station, then transfer there for Amtrak to Harper's Ferry.

If every connection you need to make works out pretty much in your favor you could be in Harpers Ferry in 6 hours. The $68.00 air fare sounds great but how much will the train to Union Station cost and then the cost of the train from Union Station to Harpers Ferry? You would be better off buying your food and fuel at the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry if you can get there before they close at 6:00 pm. The last time I flew with my gear I used a duffle bag from Walmart (cost about 14.00) and checked it into baggage. Had some food and my hiking poles in the bag but no fuel. The downside is now there is a baggage fee and you will have to ditch the duffle bag.

Just FYI - Amtrak also serves BWI. You'd still go through DC (and have a layover there, depending on what time the flight and train work out to). Just doing a sample for the 27th (two days from now) shows a seat would be $29 and offers leaving the airport at (around) 12:30 or 2:30, with the second part from DC leaving at just after 4pm. Less than 3 hours total for the later one, not quite 5 for the earlier (longer layover in DC). Not sure if it's any less using MARC for the into DC leg, but probably not that different?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Food can be problematic as a carry on item as it may scan as a gel/liquid and be subject to the 3 oz rule. Prepared food is specifically allowed, but a bulk jar of the same food could be a problem. So a PB and J sandwich is OK, but a jar of PB and a jar of jelly, maybe not. You could argue that it should be allowed, but arguing with the TSA person is not a good idea. I always ask myself "Do I want to risk having all my plans ruined because of what a TSA agent may or may not allow?" and the answer is always "No".
    I learned the hard way that peanut butter is considered a gel and subject to the 3 ounce rule. Nutella and other similar "gels" would also fall in this category.

The TSA is what happens when you pay people slightly above minimum wage and give them a badge. Being right won't help if you miss your flight - you're not going to get reimbursed or even get an apology. Plan accordingly.

Thanks everyone for your help and replies,looking at the logistics of travel to airport 1.5 hrs, and getting there 1.5 early for check in, 1.5 for flight, then layover,then 1.5 train ride, then shuttle, i think the 7.5 hr car ride makes more sense. And i can shuttle back from my northern end anytime mileage i want plus have my own vehicle for site seeing if i want to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    The TSA is what happens when you pay people slightly above minimum wage and give them a badge. Being right won't help if you miss your flight - you're not going to get reimbursed or even get an apology. Plan accordingly.
    Denigrating TSA agents isn't helpful. Understanding what the TSA banned list contains would be helpful advice. This can be found on the TSA website easily. Many items banned from carry on into the cabin can be placed in checked bags like trekking poles, knives, tent stakes, etc. These items can also be shipped via USPS or UPS to a location easily accessible once one arrives.

Images

OK So i just flew last month and got thru TSA no problem. This is what needs to go under the plane. ANYTHING SHARP. Tent poles / tent stakes/ hiking sticks / knifes / potty trowel / tweezers in your med kit. No matches / no lighters / no fuel of any sort. The stove is fine just no canisters of fuel. What-- you use a refillable tank - great-- it has to be empty. Oh and no full outside water bottles. I did bring my two Smart water bottles ( Empty) Everything else went thru TSA fine.- I carried my ULA Catalyst on the plane as my carry on. And I had treated my hiking clothes that I was wearing that week my permethrin.

Rules are different all over the world I have found out.
    Carried a small (the smallest) swiss army knife last year out of Thailand: they took it
    Bought another one in Europe and they assured me it was OK. No problem getting it out of Europe in my carry-on.
    But once inside Thailand: they took it (again)
    Went to Tasmania and bought a (rather large) solar powered power bank. No problems getting it to Thailand.
    Tried to take it to my hike in Vietnam 2 weeks ago: They tried to take it.
    I said: WAIT! I left the airport and went outside to hide it as I knew I'd be back in 10 days.
    Couldn't find any place so I went in the car park and found a car that was the dirty-est one in there.
    Hid it underneath that car.
    Came back 2 days ago. Went to the car I hid it under: GONE!
    Lost it.
    Damn rules keep changing.
    Last year, lighters had to be in check-in bags
    This year: Lighters must be in carry-on.
    At least in Thailand and Vietnam.
    Trying to keep up with all the rules is killing me (and my gear)
    Heading to Taiwan in a month to hike there: What will they take this time?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I had my pocket sized bottle of Sawyer Picaradin bug spray in my carry on. It was way less than three oz and in my quart zip bag with all my other liquid toiletries. It was a pump spray (not aerosol), and water based. The TSA person opened my bag and took it. I couldn't find anywhere that this said this item was prohibited, but I lost it nevertheless. I have one of those giant heavy green canvas Army Surplus duffel bags I use when I fly. My pack, poles, and everything goes in there. I have a tiny bag of non-hiking clothes for my carry on. I arrange to have the carry on and duffel stay with a shuttle driver, hotel, or car while I hike and get it back at the end. I also try to get non-stop flights when possible. I figure the fewer connections I have, the lower the chance there is of me or my bag missing a connection. This works for section hiking. For a thru hike I would take the train, bus, or get a disposable duffel at a resale shop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++