WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Spilling

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Mine leaked badly.
    Quality bottles like nalgene dont leak
    Cheap...do

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    High Density Polyethylene is some of the best. The same as your milk jugs, your oil "cans", most lids on most containers. Only down side is it doesn't come clear, so you don't see it used for water and booze where clear is important for marketing. HDPE will leach a bit of plastic flavor into water after several hours in the sun, but it is some of the most food-safe plastic made.

Thanks! but I came across something that mentioned that, while it is resistant to inorganic solvents, organic solvents can break it down... and alcohol is an organic solvent?

https://sciencing.com/dissolve-polye...e-8660947.html

-

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Thanks! but I came across something that mentioned that, while it is resistant to inorganic solvents, organic solvents can break it down... and alcohol is an organic solvent?

https://sciencing.com/dissolve-polye...e-8660947.html
    chemistry definition of organic is contains carbon, so yes for ethanol - more important: is the solvent polar or not.....

couple years of chem should give you a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Thanks! but I came across something that mentioned that, while it is resistant to inorganic solvents, organic solvents can break it down... and alcohol is an organic solvent? . . .
    Gasoline is an organic solvent also, and, if you own a plastic gas can, it is almost surely HDPE.
    Benzine may dissolve PE as suggested in the article you linked, I don't know that for certain. But, we used to store 95% and 100% alcohol in HDPE in our labs for extended periods of time, and all three of the bottles of 91% and 70% rubbing alcohol in our house are HDPE, all the bottles are years old, and there is no sign of damage. As for acetone melting PE as suggested in the linked article, it might, under some circumstances, but my wife's fingernail polish remover (yes, it is acetone) is in the same HDPE bottle it was purchased about 5 years ago and again, no apparent damage or obvious aging of the bottle.

Also, for what it's worth, many wineries ferment their wine in large PE tanks as standard practice.

HDPE is really amazing stuff. I would not be the least bit concerned about storing alcohol in it.

I just hunted down this table that may put your concerns into context.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Gasoline is an organic solvent also, and, if you own a plastic gas can, it is almost surely HDPE.
    Benzine may dissolve PE as suggested in the article you linked, I don't know that for certain. But, we used to store 95% and 100% alcohol in HDPE in our labs for extended periods of time, and all three of the bottles of 91% and 70% rubbing alcohol in our house are HDPE, all the bottles are years old, and there is no sign of damage. As for acetone melting PE as suggested in the linked article, it might, under some circumstances, but my wife's fingernail polish remover (yes, it is acetone) is in the same HDPE bottle it was purchased about 5 years ago and again, no apparent damage or obvious aging of the bottle.

Also, for what it's worth, many wineries ferment their wine in large PE tanks as standard practice.

HDPE is really amazing stuff. I would not be the least bit concerned about storing alcohol in it.

I just hunted down this table that may put your concerns into context.
    Awesome! thank you so much for that, puts my mind at ease and restores the liquor functionality. (FWIW, THIS micro stove is the specific application - boils, simmers, vodka bar, general purpose cleaner/solvent/sterilizer, and survival heater. For me worthy of EDC.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yeah, but lab alcohol isn't, and neither is everclear. And, they both work as fuels AND mixers. Not that I would know from experience of course.
    Don't drink lab alcohol, though. Most of it is contaminated with benzene - the process to get the water down below 5% is a dirty one.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++