Default slow but steady newby - looking for tips:)

I am doing my first overnight backpack this weekend - just 3 days to get my feet wet lol.Hoping to go from Springer to Blood mountain - Is that doable for a newby? I have camped a bit - car and tent mostly, also have hiked a bit. My coworkers think I'm crazy (50 yr old) to go out by myself, but I tell them I have a 9 yr old - nothing can scare me LOL
    Any insight or tips?
    Slow but steady

Journal Entries

That section is about 30 miles. Doable for most, but includes some climbs that will be hard for those that are out of shape.

Unlikely that you'll be alone out there. You will learn a lot from the experience. Have a great time!

Are you going for 3days/2nights or 4days/3nights. For a beginner, 30 miles on a 3days/2nights trip is going to be tough unless you are in great shape. You also need to have your total weight including food & water down near 30lbs. Have fun and don't be surprised if you become addicted!!

Bring hiking poles. You can get cheapies from wallyworld if you are not sure if you will like them. I’m a Florida gal too, you will thank me!

Images

Definitely doable by some people; a test of fortitude for others. Depends on
    1) Your physical conditions
    2) Your pack weight
    3) Your skill at organizing yourself and your equipment.

A great thing about that section is that you will meet other hikers to learn from (both what to do and what not to do), and there are a number of bailout points, should you need to cut your distance.

I hope you enjoy it!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Going up,friday hiking Sat _ Monday / Tuesday and,drive,back tues

I hope you practiced using your equipment like maybe a few camp outs in the back yard, testing your stove and water filter. Good luck and have fun.

Have fun, but be careful about your footwear. Blisters are a big problem for beginners. Avoid cotton socks, use a lubricant (we like bodyglide), and treat any hot spots (cover them with shiny athletic tape) before they become a blister. It's a good idea to tape across both heels with 1 inch wide shiny athletic tape, to prevent friction and heel blisters.

Once you have a blister your options are few. (Ask me how I know, ha ha).

Reminder to bring moleskin and tape for your feet just in case.

Advice based on 50+ years of this stuff; dump moleskin (thick & fuzzy is not good and most people really don't know how to use it correctly) & concentrate on prevention.

Or, if you really need a "bandaid" solution, there's a special bandaid called "Blist-o-ban" that is thin and slick and sticks well. Available online.

But, again, don't get blisters! The book "Fixing your Feet" gives a list of over 100 ways to avoid blisters. The only reason to get them is ignorance.

Hi @TazRN50, Just curious to see how your first overnight hiking trip went? Did you have any trouble? Make it to Blood Mountain?

++ New Posts ++