WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sawyer Mini Threading Issues

I bought a 2 pack of sawyer mini's for $27. Got on the trail this weekend and it would not thread onto my Smart Water bottle. Threads were different. I have been using the Mini on a smart water bottle for 2 years now.

Did Sawyer change their threads?
    Do they make different thread type filters?
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

My recollection was that the threads were different, but similar enough to make it work. Those memories are from 4 years ago - I may have misremembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have been using the Mini on a smart water bottle for 2 years now.

Did Sawyer change their threads?
    Could it have been SmartWater that changed their threads?

I've tested my mini on 1L and ~0.6L "Clear American" bottles from Walmart, and it fits fine. [It's basically a clear diet soda that comes in many flavors]. But my mini is not very new, so they could have changed it. Anyway, the one thing I didn't like about using them on a bottle (whether SmartWater or WM's soda bottles) is that the bottle collapses as you drink from it. There needs to be a way to equalize the air pressure after each sip, and so I had to unscrew it each time to let air back in and the bottle pop back into shape.

As a result, I find that the mini is better suited to being attached to filtering bags like Sawyer's own pouches or, with the right adapter, a cheap 2L hydration bladder as a dirty water bag in a gravity system. Both bags are soft-sided, so they easily collapse as they empty, unlike a plastic water bottle.

WM Clear Am Water sm.jpg

It's not a perfect thread match, and it hasn't been since at least 2016.

For the cleaning/backflush part of the equation, this product fits excellently.

ok - this is what I did - Unscrew old worn out sawyer mini from smart water bottle, throw away worn out mini. Take new mini out of packaging, will not screw on. Same 2 bottles that 2 other minis have been on, new mini sawyer does not screw on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    ok - this is what I did - Unscrew old worn out sawyer mini from smart water bottle, throw away worn out mini. Take new mini out of packaging, will not screw on. Same 2 bottles that 2 other minis have been on, new mini sawyer does not screw on.
    Sawyer must have changed their threading at some point. I vaguely recall someone here stating that they used to fit, having the same issues you experienced. You must have had an old model.

I use an Evernew as my dirty water bag, it almost, but doesn't quite make a tight seal. I suspect that Sawyer really wants to sell you their own bags, as a planned obsolescence item, rather than have you use something sturdy and unbreakable that doesn't profit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Sawyer must have changed their threading at some point. I vaguely recall someone here stating that they used to fit, having the same issues you experienced. You must have had an old model.

I use an Evernew as my dirty water bag, it almost, but doesn't quite make a tight seal. I suspect that Sawyer really wants to sell you their own bags, as a planned obsolescence item, rather than have you use something sturdy and unbreakable that doesn't profit them.
    But they still advertise that it fits onto water bottles

How do the threads on the old and new filters look side by side?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been using an Evernew as a dirty water bag and a Platypus Hoser as a clean water bag with Sawyer in gravity feed mode since the Mini first came out. I buy a new Mini at the start of every season, and I just bought a new one from the local Walmart two weeks ago for a trip over the June 10th weekend. Had no problems.

Sawyer makes other fittings so their filters can be used as an "in line" application.You may end up having to do that or go to the Squeeze or Katadyn Be Free filter.

It's not a perfect thread match, and it hasn't been since at least 2016.

For the cleaning/backflush part of the equation, this product fits excellently.
    Except the standard Mini does not have threads on the clean side. But I just noticed the now make a double treaded Mini, but they only seem to sell it with a large bladder I don't need in a package. With my Mini, I use a hose to female thread adaptor with a short piece of the grey straw that came with the filter as a connector.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Except the standard Mini does not have threads on the clean side. But I just noticed the now make a double treaded Mini, but they only seem to sell it with a large bladder I don't need in a package. With my Mini, I use a hose to female thread adaptor with a short piece of the grey straw that came with the filter as a connector.
    i just drilled a soda bottle cap to force fit over the output nipple and super glued it on.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Mrs Gambit went to Wallyworld today and picked up a sawyer mini, checked the threads in the store and it fits perfect on a smart water bottle. Messaged sawyer 2 days ago to inquire about the differences, no response yet. At least my first world problem of getting to use the bottle I want is solved for my PA trip next week

Do you still have the packaging for both sets of filters? It would be great to see part numbers for each. Maybe there's an easy way make sure you get the right one before opening the package.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Do you still have the packaging for both sets of filters? It would be great to see part numbers for each. Maybe there's an easy way make sure you get the right one before opening the package.
    Good idea, I will compare products this evening and try to post my info gathered

- - - I know that the packaging is different already. The ones I ordered came in the most compact nested (clear) packaging. The one from Wal-Mart came ina side by side clear packaging. with the filter pictured on right side of packaging and all the accessories(That I wish they would cut cost and leave out because they just clutter my camping room) on the left behind marketing material.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-21-2018 at 15:10.

Journal Entries

The Sawyer filters are supposed to use the standard thread evernew and liter water bottles have.

In my experience the minis threads are cut slightly smaller diameter and Tighter fit. A platypus will thread into my Sawyer mini and not leak. It will slip and leak on a regular Sawyer.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-21-2018 at 23:05.

++ New Posts ++