WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Rabies warning for hikers who stayed at Pass Mtn. Hut in SNP 6/7-8

Hikers who spent the night at Pass Mountain Hut in Shenandoah National Park may be at risk of rabies from a possible bite from a bat. It's possible to be bitten while sleeping and be unaware of the bite, and have no obvious bite marks. Officials from the Virginia Department of Health are urging hikers to seek evaluation in a hospital emergency room as soon as possible.

Here's the official press release:

RABIES WARNING: BAT SIGHTED IN PASS MOUNTAIN HUT
    June 18, 2018

For More Information, Contact
    Environmental Health Manager Mason Allen
    Lord Fairfax Health District – 540-722-3480

Health Officials Say Some Hikers May Need Treatment

(Winchester, Va.) — The Lord Fairfax Health District is notifying any hikers who spent the night of Thursday, June 7 through Friday, June 8, 2018 in the Pass Mountain Hut that it is possible that they may have been exposed to rabies. The Pass Mountain Hut is near Thornton Gap (U.S. Route 211/Luray/Sperryville, Va.). A bat was seen overhead in the shelter while people were sleeping in the hut. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, persons sleeping in a room with a bat may be at risk of rabies exposure, and should consider receiving post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP), even if they have no bite marks. The overall risk in an open structure such as Pass Mountain Hut is not as great as in an enclosed room, but concerned individuals should seek evaluation in a hospital emergency room as soon as possible. When doing so, they should inform the staff that they were sleeping in a shelter where a bat was sighted.

Rabies is a deadly disease caused by a virus that attacks the nervous system. It is preventable in animals through vaccinations, but is fatal to both animals and humans if left untreated. Exposure to rabies is considered any time there is a bite or scratch, or other circumstance where saliva or Central Nervous System tissue from a rabid or potentially rabid animal enters an open, fresh wound or comes in contact with a mucous membrane by entering the eye, mouth, or nose. In addition, due to the high incidence of rabies in bats, anyone sleeping in a room with a bat may have been exposed.

The Health District advises people to take the following steps to prevent exposure to rabies:

• Avoid contact with wild animals or stray cats and dogs.
    • Do not feed wild animals or stray cats and dogs.
    • Vaccinate all cats, dogs and ferrets against rabies and keep them up to date.
    • Report stray animals to your local animal control agency.
    • Eliminate outdoor food sources around the home.
    • Keep pets confined to your property or walk them on a leash.

For more information, contact the Lord Fairfax Health District’s Frederick/Winchester Health Department at 540-722-3480.

Journal Entries

Rabies exposure is scary stuff.

I know someone that believed they might have been bitten by bat in a bedroom. After taking treatment they had a skin reaction on wrist, which suposedly will happen near the site of entry. This convinced them they were bitten and seeking treatment saved their life.

Better safe than dead.

The time you can wait depends on where bitten. Because virus travels slowly to brain Bites to head or neck require immediate treatment.

I recall reading a story once of a guy that collided with a bat while riding a bike in the evening. He waited about a week to seek treatment and it was too long and he died. You can have several weeks if bitten on the extremities.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2018 at 14:49.

Guess there's still good reason to continue sleeping inside a fully enclosed net tent, even when the bugs are not an issue.

Saw one rabies death while working in an Icu years ago. Asked doc “isn’t there anything we can do?” He just said “keep him heavily medicated and keep your distance.” The fellow was probably in his 30s, can’t remember exactly.

It was so sad.

Was the bat tested and found to be rabid or is the assumption that the bat must be rabid to be in the shelter or is it a case of there was a bat in the shelter and sometimes bats can be rabid?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Was the bat tested and found to be rabid or is the assumption that the bat must be rabid to be in the shelter or is it a case of there was a bat in the shelter and sometimes bats can be rabid?
    Any of the above but probably the later. Bat bites can be painless and not noticeable so anyone sleeping in a room where a bat is found is advised to under go rabies vaccination because rabies is fatal and easily prevented. No reason to take a chance. I was a veterinarian for 30 years and I had prophylactic rabies vaccinations throughout my career including after being exposed to a known rabid animal. The modern rabies vaccine is nothing to be afraid of no matter what horror stories you may have heard. In the 70's they were pretty rough but that vaccine is long gone thank goodness.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

What would the treatment cost? Recently here in Ga. a lady was attacked by a rabid bobcat and her treatment was reported to be $10,000 or more.Just wondering if there is a less expensive treatment?

SO glad I decided to keep going on the 8th...walked right past the shelter trail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Bats have a very high incidence of rabies and it is often impossible to be sure if you were bitten. Since rabies is almost always fatal once symptoms develop, a preventative vaccination is the normal course of action whenever there is the chance of an exposure.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Since rabies is almost always fatal once symptoms develop, a preventative vaccination is the normal course of action whenever there is the chance of an exposure.
    It's 100% fatal if vaccine not given before onset of symptoms
    Most cases in the US are cryptic, i.e. no documented evidence of bite or contact with a rabid animal. 70% of known US cases are associated with two rare bat species.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but being bit by a bat while you sleep...that sucks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bies-survivor/

i had also always heard tale of some sort of researcher in the 70s or so who accidentally exposed himself to a very high direct dose, such that the vaccine was not effective, suffered all the symptoms and survived.

Most cases in the US are cryptic, i.e. no documented evidence of bite or contact with a rabid animal. 70% of known US cases are associated with two rare bat species.
    There was only one known case in US of survival. a 15 y/o female developed rabies 1 month post bat bite and survived after drug induced coma for 7 days. She did not receive the immunoprophylaxis (vaccine and Human rabies immune globulin).

that's great, good for them. a couple more survivors are a good thing!
    Would you take that chance?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Apparently my info is dated by a couple of years... My use of the phrase “almost always fatal” was a reference to the Milwaukee protocol. It was only while writing this reply that I looked up the Milwaukee protocol again and learned that it was ultimately deemed a failure.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

tdoczi found more than 1 survivor, but to me 99.99999999999999999999% is 100%

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Apparently my info is dated by a couple of years... My use of the phrase “almost always fatal” was a reference to the Milwaukee protocol. It was only while writing this reply that I looked up the Milwaukee protocol again and learned that it was ultimately deemed a failure.
    tell that to the 3 people who survived having rabies.

Images

tdoczi found more than 1 survivor, but to me 99.99999999999999999999% is 100%
    another reason why if i am ever in WI and need a doctor i'll be steering clear.

my info on 1 survivor was dated as well. we'll say a handful have survived?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++