WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    But one thing is for sure,they have frightened the public into buying something that is not very effective.
    now gee whiz, why would anyone do that? could it be there are people who profit royally from scaring the public into engaging in (arguably) unnecessary medical procedures all the while spreading the costs of said procedures around so no one pays much attention to how much money is actually changing hands? naaah, couldnt be.

so many people in the world distrust just about everything, and often times rightly so. but this one no one sees. whole books have been written on the subject. our expenditure on health care as a nation keeps growing and growing and growing and are average life expectancy is stuck in place. we're just wasting money cause we're scared.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not that many

Only 45% get a flu shot
    Effectiveness ranges 17-50% or so. Using 40% as avg

So maybe....20% benefit from a shot anyway

At most, 20% higher would get sick.. assuming mortality rate propagates.....at most 20% more would die.
    What an analysis like this fails to account for is the number of people who are not spreading the flu to their contacts (because the shot kept them from getting the flu in the first place) thus reducing the number of people who get the flu who didn't get vaccinated. In other words, if you prevent one flu case by vaccination how many others did you prevent because there was one less person spreading the flu? You protect one person and you help protect those they come in contact with. Difficult to know or quantitate but most likely it is a significant number.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

When I was in high school it was common knowledge among 15-18 year olds that you should "NEVER where your seat belt when travelling by car because, in an accident you were better off being thrown free of the crash". Hard to argue with the logic, there are hundreds of thousands of miles diven by people who did not die while not wearing their seat belt.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

When I was in high school it was common knowledge among 15-18 year olds that you should "NEVER where your seat belt when travelling by car because, in an accident you were better off being thrown free of the crash". Hard to argue with the logic, there are hundreds of thousands of miles diven by people who did not die while not wearing their seat belt.
    Sorry about the tiny font. I don't know how that happened

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

https://ourworldindata.org/the-link-...nding-us-focus

stated differently, you can spend all you want trying to prevent yourself from dying from the flu (or whatever else youd like to put in that spot), its really not relevant) you're going to die of something.

keeping a group of elderly people from dying from the flu does not raise average life expectancy by any substantial amount because, shocker, they die from something else instead not long after.

all of that said, i also firmly believe everyone is 1000% entitled to spend however much money they want on whatever they think will make them healthiest. the problem is we've structured a system where few, if any of us, actually pay for the healthcare we consume.

Images

this may be the first time i ever suggest anyone read something from the huffpo-

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lawren...b_4661442.html

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    this may be the first time i ever suggest anyone read something from the huffpo-

Death accounting via flu , is , at very best, akin to saying saying a person that tore their knee coming down stairs, developed blood clot and died after surgery, died from "stairs". And thats at the best.

Get it or don't get it is beside the point. Just realize that media feeds you bull****.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-10-2018 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

I’ll believe the CDC over the Huffington Post any day.

Deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 07-10-2018 at 13:27.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I’ll believe the CDC over the Huffington Post any day.
    neither is my favorite source os information.

but read at surface, which seems a more reasonable assertion-

"there were xx number of death certificates listing flu as cause of death. we researched it. heres the evidence."

or

"36,000 people died last year. we know. take our word for it."

??

ive always said the same thing about lyme disease. theres actual concrete statistics about actual confirmed and reported cases and theres pie in the sky guesstimates pulled out of thin air about how there are actually a huge number (one that dwarfs confirmed cases) of unconfirmed cases. ironically in the case of lyme both can be attributed to the CDC.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++