WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tahoe Rim Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Tahoe Rim Trail

Looks like I'll be hiking the TRT in late July assuming the snow has melted - looking at the TRT Association website this morning there seems to be a good bit of trail still covered so something to watch.

Plan is to fly to RNO, Uber to Tahoe City, hike clockwise resupplying in SLT from Spooner Pass and again in SLT coming in from around Echo Lake (same spot I hitched in from the PCT). I'll be using Guthook for primary nav/trail source and the Tom Harrison TRT paper map for backup.

Looking forward to it - seems like an easy-enough stressless way to spend a week.

Have a great trip! Let us know how it goes when you return.

-

snow pack is half of average so it should clear early as long as you have guthook some left overs should be no problem

late July good to go.

You could get to Truckee faster by Amtrak on the Cali Zephyr. Then catch the TART Hwy 89 bus to Tahoe City. It would be more convenient doing a one ride UBER from the Reno AP to TC but it will cost more money. This bus route also originates at the Reno Amtrak. I took it twice from Reno Amtrak for TRT hikes being on trail at Tahoe City(trail is near the Tahoe City Transit Sta) in less than 2.5 hrs. This bus is usually on time and mostly is routed on I 80 so goes fast..in out boom boom boom. You might consider UBER only from Truckee or Reno AP to Tahoe City IF by some situation you miss a timely transfer.

Images

Hope you have a great hike! I plan to hike that trail some day. Beautiful area.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Thanks.. Bought my plane ticket today.. Flying into RNO on the 27th, July. I land in Reno at 11:45 so I'm going to rent a car and drive to SLT and kick around for the day. Return the car the morning of the 28th early and get a lift to the trail to start hiking.

Images

It is a very cruisy trail. Snow will be long gone, pay attention to water. I left a water cache in the northern section. Not sure I would do it again after getting a lot of desert miles under my shoes.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Thanks.. Bought my plane ticket today.. Flying into RNO on the 27th, July. I land in Reno at 11:45 so I'm going to rent a car and drive to SLT and kick around for the day. Return the car the morning of the 28th early and get a lift to the trail to start hiking.
    Just pay for a one-way rental. Save yourself the hassle of getting back up to the trail.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Just pay for a one-way rental. Save yourself the hassle of getting back up to the trail.
    yep.. did that. Plan to return the car as soon as Hertz opens in SLT and get up to Spooner Summit and start hiking clockwise.

Looking forward to it - seems like an easy-enough stressless way to spend a week.

Yup. You'll fly along.

Default Tahoe Rim Trail

if the spirit moves me, I'll be up there too. Planning to start at Kingsberry South clockwise towards Tahoe City. I've only done one hike that long before, so not sure if I'll make it all the way. We'll see...

There are sections for which a water cache is useful (eg. going clockwise north from Tahoe City) but I'm sure you can figure that out with Guthook and Harrison. I have not hiked the whole TRT, but really loved the Desolation Wilderness section. Highly recommended.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Looks like I'll be hiking the TRT in late July assuming the snow has melted - looking at the TRT Association website this morning there seems to be a good bit of trail still covered so something to watch.

Plan is to fly to RNO, Uber to Tahoe City, hike clockwise resupplying in SLT from Spooner Pass and again in SLT coming in from around Echo Lake (same spot I hitched in from the PCT). I'll be using Guthook for primary nav/trail source and the Tom Harrison TRT paper map for backup.

Interested in trip report as I’m starting September 18...looks like I’ll also be starting from SLT clockwise on a 10 schedule. Would like to do 2 resupply stops. Mostly curious how dry the east side really is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Tahoe Rim Trail

just back from Kingsberry South to Big meadow. Dagget Creek 5 miles in, running good. Star Lake 5 miles after that. Crossed 3 streams - 1 was weak - between Star Lake and Freel Meadows , 8.5 Mike's from Star. From Freel, you're 7 miles to the next th - (where my car was, with water in the trunk) ?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    just back from Kingsberry South to Big meadow. Dagget Creek 5 miles in, running good. Star Lake 5 miles after that. Crossed 3 streams - 1 was weak - between Star Lake and Freel Meadows , 8.5 Mike's from Star. From Freel, you're 7 miles to the next th - (where my car was, with water in the trunk) ?
    This is from 3 weeks ago: week of 7/17

This is from 3 weeks ago: week of 7/17
    Thx...I will not have option of water cache as flying in. Hauling 3-5 liters doesn’t sound fun with a lil frameless pack....I’ll check in when gets closer to my start date.

Default Tahoe Rim Trail

postponing my trt -- at least till next week.
    air quality is awful right now!

postponing my trt -- at least till next week.
    air quality is awful right now!
    I just spoke with folks at TRTA she said same thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I just spoke with folks at TRTA she said same thing.....
    Great! I was thinking about you, and it will be a good idea for you to check with them again before you fly all the way out here.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid these fires are just getting worse and worse!
    (Its a good thing I read this before I posted it. The "smart" phone was going to say "these GIRLS are just getting worse and worse ")!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++