WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    It's not about whether I can hear their music, it's about greeting a fellow traveler.
    Their willingness to say hi and possibly have a conversation. That's what it means to me when people pull their ear buds out.
    I don’t consider it discourteous if they don’t want a conversation, leave their earbuds in, and just give a simple nod in greeting. I go hiking to get away from people.

Journal Entries

For crying out loud, bring the cell phones, you don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable around you.

It's not about whether I can hear their music, it's about greeting a fellow traveler.
    Their willingness to say hi and possibly have a conversation. That's what it means to me when people pull their ear buds out.
    No one owes me a conversation. It's an easy social cue if they leave the headphones in, they don't want to talk to me. This makes my life easier.

I walk a mile down my road to the trails most every day when the trail conditions/snowbanks permit. Most every one of my neighbors out walking, or riding their bike will wave, nod and just go about their day. The few conversations I do have with my neighbors out walking are kind of stilted, it's obviously out of "politeness" but we have little in common, and I'd be just as happy to skip the meaningless pleasantries. There's this one guy on a bike, he hasn't returned my nod once in four years. Is he a jerk, or just not interested in socializing with me during his ride? Is he more, or less of a jerk if he has earbuds in? I figure he owes me absolutely nothing.

On my local trails, it's a slightly different story. Most people wave and keep walking. A few people will chat about something we vaguely have in common about hiking, and then move on. Then there's this one old guy who won't shut up, he seems to think I hike just to be lectured by him. I have to make excuses to escape, because he doesn't take social cues very well.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 06-18-2018 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I don’t consider it discourteous if they don’t want a conversation, leave their earbuds in, and just give a simple nod in greeting. I go hiking to get away from people.
    I never said or intended to say that the ones who DON'T remove their earbuds are discourteous.
    I only said I like that most hikers DO remove their earbuds. Friendly gesture? Courtesy? Manners? Polite?
    It is perhaps just another aspect of how friendly most hikers are.
    Call it what you like, but don't paint me as offended if someone doesn't do it.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I, personally, prefer to listen to my thoughts or nature or whatnot as I hike, bike, etc.
    The folks I've passed on the trail with earbuds - almost every one of them pulls them out as they pass. That small courtesy makes me happy.
    As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music. I don't want movie night in a shelter when I'm trying to sleep.
    But, in the spirit of hyoh and remembering I'm not in charge, I usually accept it for what it is.
    The same person who may cost me an hour of sleep could be the person who has reception and helps me out of a communication emergency of some kind.
    More perspective. I'm an old man. I remember in the 1970s, being annoyed by transistor radios on the trail. But still, once in a while, someone who had one could give me an up-to-date weather forecast. Now it's bananaphones. Tomorrow, it'll be VR headsets or direct neural interfaces or something. Some people will use them as tools, some people will use them as drugs, some people will inflict them on others. As I said, I try to practice my bad habits in private.

I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I never said or intended to say that the ones who DON'T remove their earbuds are discourteous.
    I only said I like that most hikers DO remove their earbuds. Friendly gesture? Courtesy? Manners? Polite?
    It is perhaps just another aspect of how friendly most hikers are.
    Call it what you like, but don't paint me as offended if someone doesn't do it.
    When you said people removing earbuds were extending a courtesy on a thread where many are bashing electronic usage, it’s logical to assume you believe not removing earbuds is discourteous, even if that is not what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    More perspective. I'm an old man. I remember in the 1970s, being annoyed by transistor radios on the trail. But still, once in a while, someone who had one could give me an up-to-date weather forecast. Now it's bananaphones. Tomorrow, it'll be VR headsets or direct neural interfaces or something. Some people will use them as tools, some people will use them as drugs, some people will inflict them on others. As I said, I try to practice my bad habits in private.

What kind of monster reminds people about the bananaphone song? You're a bad man Kevin.

More perspective. I'm an old man. . .
    And yes, I saw this song (not this cartoon) live in concert for which we payed hard earned Canadian dollars. Raffi is great!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

I'm not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear. more power to them. If they want ear buds drowning out all the outdoor sounds of nature that's fine as well. The two pieces of electronics gear I carry are a watch and a cell phone (which is shut off in my pack until I make it to a town). I was taught how to use a map and compass long before GPS was available to the general public. That is when maps and orienteering changed. I can now more precisely find my actual position.
    I was also taught how to read clouds, barometric changes for weather forecasting. I am of the type of person who wants to hear what is going on around me (the types of things that go bump/rattle in the night). So if the techno geeks want to carry all their gadgets, go for it.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I'm not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear. more power to them. If they want ear buds drowning out all the outdoor sounds of nature that's fine as well. The two pieces of electronics gear I carry are a watch and a cell phone (which is shut off in my pack until I make it to a town). I was taught how to use a map and compass long before GPS was available to the general public. That is when maps and orienteering changed. I can now more precisely find my actual position.
    I was also taught how to read clouds, barometric changes for weather forecasting. I am of the type of person who wants to hear what is going on around me (the types of things that go bump/rattle in the night). So if the techno geeks want to carry all their gadgets, go for it.
    In one sentence you say you are not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear, and then in another sentence you use the pejorative term “techno geek” to describe them.

Instead of hiking with a camera I hike with a phone. Sometimes two if I’m planning on being out for longer than the battery life. I also carry a MP3 player that I listen to in town or my tent. The music is a convenience in town. At one point I’d listen on local hikes so I can see where they would become a habit for some. The camera phone is a convenience for calling shuttles and homes to avoid using a hostels business line or searching for a pay phone. If I was more into reading I could also see the convenience of ebooks.

Its similar to thinking of others and being considerate by not using your phone, playing loud music etc. you don’t want to disturb others. In this case, if you think of why they are doing it, the technology is probably enhancing their enjoyment of their hike with the possible noted exception of tech addiction.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I take my phone. It's a camera, a notebook, a GPS, wildflower, tree, bird and rock identification guides, a map, a guidebook and whatever novel I'm reading. It doesn't have service in most of the places I hike, so I'm not even tempted to take it out of airplane mode.

And, as with most nasty habits, I don't do it in front of others.
    My sentiments exactly. I carry a cell phone and keep it in airplane mode about 98% of the hike. I use it primarily as a camera, to look at the AWOL guide and as a book. Every couple of days I'll turn on the service and let the wife know I'm alright.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries

In one sentence you say you are not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear, and then in another sentence you use the pejorative term “techno geek” to describe them.
    Sorry, I did not mean anything derogatory, that's just me talking. Call me an Old Geezer if you want to.
    Blackheart

I like my gadgets, does anyone really give a tinkers damn...really?

I bring a kindle and leave the phone off aside quick map checks

They make mindfulness more difficult.

Listen for the wood thrush.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    They make mindfulness more difficult.
    So does studying a paper map.

So does studying a paper map.
    You're not even close grasshopper.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    You're not even close grasshopper.
    Anything that engages your mind (studying a map, reading AWOL’s guide, talking to a fellow hiker, using your phone, etc.), decreases your awareness of your surroundings.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 06-19-2018 at 00:59.

Anything that engages your mind (studying a map, reading AWOL’s guide, talking to a fellow hiker, using your phone, etc.), decreases your awareness of your surroundings.
    Now you are spinning it out further. Map and phone. You can use the map to place yourself in the environment that you are in. You can do that with the phone but the level of distraction is much higher:scrolling, pushing buttons, notifications, lights, etc. The screen is so much smaller too. A topographic map you can look at the contours, place the mountains, know their names, see the trail behind you, in front of you. You unfold it, feel the texture of the paper, follow the lines with your finger. Understand where you are at. You sit down with a map, on a log or a rock, you take a breather, you eat a little food, listen to the forest, feel the weather. Then you are done with it, you fold it up, stick it in a ziplock, stow it away carefully. Or perhaps navigate with it, not be navigated by it. My point though is getting to mindfulness. A map is a simpler tool with less distraction than a phone.

On the other hand, if your brain puckers up when you look at a map, maybe the phone will work better to alleviate one's anxiety as far as to where the hell am I and allow one to focus on the present space.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++