WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have registered for 3/17/2020. Good luck!

Thumbs up

I am looking at a mid June 2020 SOBO start time, depending on when the trails on Katahdin open up. I'm told that they are currently closed. As I do each year, I'll be wishing for a short winter next year. This trip has been in the works since 1972 when I first stepped foot onto the Appalachian Trail in the White Mountains. Retirement now affords me the time to attempt the trip and the body seems to be willing for now.

March 1, 2020, my fifth and final thru-hike if all goes well. See you out there.

EZ-does-it
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post
    March 1, 2020, my fifth and final thru-hike if all goes well. See you out there.

EZ-does-it
    Mike? If so send me a message

Starting March 1, 2020, my fifth and last thru-hike hope to see you out there everyone.

Ez-Does-It
    EZ-DOES-IT

I'm NOBO in early Feb. It's been a long time coming but 2020 is my year!

K will do as soon as I find out.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson View Post
    Mike? If so send me a message
    K will do if everything comes together.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Wife and I will be NOBO mid-April (maybe 4/20). In Mexico right now, getting lots of walking and hiking in, hopefully we will be in decent shape for the start, lol.

I have registered and start my NOBO attempt February 1, 2020. I am a little concerned about the cold but that's just because of my comfort level. But I think I will need the extra time since I move slow so I will brave the chilly weather.

"Semper Fidelis"

Good luck to all in this thread. I know the ATC is doing their best to promote flip-flop hikes and non-traditional NOBO hikes, but ..... I cannot imagine finishing an AT thru-hike anywhere but Katahdin. It is the most spectacular mountain on the entire trail. I don't use the word epic for anything I have ever done, but touching the sign after climbing Katahdin was epic for me.

Springer is a fine mountain, but there are hundreds just like it on the AT. It's just meh.

So I am making my attempt nobo Feb 1st, 2020. I would like to hear from other hikers who have either section hiked Georgia in early February or thru-hikers who started around the first of February as to what I may expect as far as weather temps.or trail condition. I know I will be spending a lot of time at shelter's so would you recommend a bivy for early February?

Planned start date is February 15th as long as a nephew-to-come doesn't mess up the timing

Also planning my thru hike for March 1st 2020. I've been wanting to do the trail for almost 9 years and this finally looks like the year. Let's hope life doesn't get in my way this time.

Quote Originally Posted by combat_veteran View Post
    So I am making my attempt nobo Feb 1st, 2020. I would like to hear from other hikers who have either section hiked Georgia in early February or thru-hikers who started around the first of February as to what I may expect as far as weather temps.or trail condition. I know I will be spending a lot of time at shelter's so would you recommend a bivy for early February?
    Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.
    Yep the few times I used the Borah cuben bivy In shelter was very pleased with it...highly recommend...obviously the top isn’t cuben but a breathable material...only around 6oz....well worth the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

That's absolutely right. Continuing on is difficult enough even in good weather...

I love how you say "I'll be attempting a though hike"... It's truly that. It took me 2 tries, I hope it takes you only 1. You'll meet a LOT of people along the way. I made a great friend (we still keep in touch 2 years late and countries apart). You'll meet the same, it really is an amazing experience. I do sections now with my brother and I still keep in touch with a few people I've met (if only for a few moments) and that last's a a lifetime. Just go with the flow and you'll meet some really incredible people along YOUR journey.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I registered for 2020 NOBO class. To start around 4/1/20, but I plan to scoot that up to mid march.

-

no one starts in march anymore - it's too busy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++