WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ziplock Toilet Paper Dispenser

I haven't tried this yet but it looks quite clever.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Zipl...m_medium=email

Basically, put roll of toilet paper in ziplock bag, pull out cardboard tube, pull toilet paper from center.

FAN4G0PJ6CG77BK.LARGE.jpg
    Last edited by perrymk; 06-14-2018 at 11:16.

Journal Entries

Link broken. Picture helpful.

Idea seems okay. Not sure how well it would work with a partial roll.

Try the link now

That's the way I do mine, works great.

I like the idea because you don't have to remove the roll from the bag to use it.

Journal Entries

A roll of tp is way overkill to carry

You only need a tiny bit between resupplies. An oz will do it if you are stingy with it. Or less.

I typically carry about half oz. Have never run out.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

You only need a tiny bit between resupplies. An oz will do it if you are stingy with it. Or less.

YBMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure this was in The Complete Walker when I read it back in the 80's

Can you spare a square?

Probably depends on your diet, body shape, excess weight, etc. I also use tiny amounts of toilet paper... except for the times when I require larger amounts.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Probably depends on your diet, body shape, excess weight, etc. I also use tiny amounts of toilet paper... except for the times when I require larger amounts.

An ounce is about one-third of a roll........ You should not need more than that every 4 days or so. That's a very conservative amt for 3-4 poops.

Quite honestly a roll of TP would last me a month easily. Even being wasteful.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-15-2018 at 10:17.

I re-roll my toilet paper using a pencil/pen as the center of the roll. I do this to reduce bulk. A roll with cardboard center removed, however full, smashed, would be fundamentally the same I would guess. Regardless, I'm going to take as much toilet paper as I feel necessary...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

An ounce is about one-third of a roll........ You should not need more than that every 4 days or so. That's a very conservative amt for 3-4 poops.

Quite honestly a roll of TP would last me a month easily. Even being wasteful.
    The concept demonstrated above would work for partial rolls. It's not a requirement that its needs a full roll to work.

I use paper towels. I fold a few sheets up and keep them in ziplocks in my food bag. A single sheet can be torn into several small squares, and can last me for a few days. TP can be amazingly uncooperative if it even gets damp in the humidity, much less in the rain. Paper towel holds up a bit better. Also has other uses.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I use paper towels. I fold a few sheets up and keep them in ziplocks in my food bag. A single sheet can be torn into several small squares, and can last me for a few days. TP can be amazingly uncooperative if it even gets damp in the humidity, much less in the rain. Paper towel holds up a bit better. Also has other uses.
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess that's based on unhappy experience?

I wonder how paper towels are at decomposing, though. I suppose the fact that they hold up better in humidity might suggest they don't decompose as quickly as TP, which may all too easily fall apart.

Well I'd be lying if I said I'd personally checked on the relative decomposition rates of the two.... But I believe that if I do a proper job of digging, and covering with the right "recipe" of duff & dirt, it should decompose as well as regular toilet paper.

But yeah -- ever try to use the toilet paper that comes in MRE's in foul weather?? It would be hysterical if it weren't awful!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I use various paper products including TP,paper towels cut in quarters,wet wipes,and Wysi Wipes.The Wysi Wipe is a coin sized dehydrated little towelette that you drop in about 2 oz of hot water and you've got yourself the closest thing to a hot shower on the trail as its gonna get.Yes,I pack it all out in an odor barrier bag placed in a ziplock hung on the pack by day and suspended above ground at night.Wysi Wipes can also be reused and they are extremely light weight.

Images

My wife thanked me for the idea. She immediately applied the new found hack...she's thankful for the idea. kudos to Perrymk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    a roll of tp is way overkill to carry
    you only need a tiny bit between resupplies. An oz will do it if you are stingy with it. Or less.
    pyop, cyoc, wyob
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++