WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Doxycycline

Default Doxycycline

Is doxycycline still the drug of choice for early tick bites? I'm planning a section hike & my doctor is pretty nice about giving me antibiotics to carry in case I'm bitten. Has anything changed in the world of tick bite drugs?

Why not ask your doctor?

Journal Entries
    Images

Ask 10 doctors about the wisdom regarding a prophylactic course of Antibiotics after a tick bite (no symptoms) and you will likely get 10 answers.

Sort of like asking a financial advisor what the “best” investments are for your future.

Good idea to have a plan of action in place BEFORE you reach a decision point. In the not too distant past, one important factor on whether to take antibiotics (and if you decided to, just a couple or a full course) was how long the tick was embedded. Thinking on that may have changed. Another factor is what geographical location you got bit in. Easier to study up now and have a mental decision tree on what to do, than to try and figure e erythimg out in the woods.

You got a tick removal tool or good tweezers?
    Last edited by rickb; 06-14-2018 at 06:22.

Doxy is the drug of choice. I know too many NY'ers who have been recently bitten and that's what they're all getting and what you'd get if you went to urgent care here. One of my friends who got bitten is the wife of an ER doctor. She got the Doxy.

Images

I got Lyme in 2005 on the Trail in NJ - doxy for 30 days cleared it right up.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

If you take it you need to be careful about sun exposure, it can lead to a severe sunburn or rash.

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Consider treating your clothes with Sawyers or sending them off to Insect Shield because not getting ticks in the first place is the best way to deal with tick borne diseases.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/

https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Consider treating your clothes with Sawyers or sending them off to Insect Shield because not getting ticks in the first place is the best way to deal with tick borne diseases.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/

https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx
    I highly recommend insectshield for tick prevention.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Since we’re discussing tick bite prophylaxis, I ran across these two articles recently that you may find relevant.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...00107123450201

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/tickborned...ophylaxis.html

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Why not ask your doctor?
    Ask your doctor if Doxycycline is right for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Ask 10 doctors about the wisdom regarding a prophylactic course of Antibiotics after a tick bite (no symptoms) and you will likely get 10 answers....

Yes, so much better to pose your medical questions here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Yes, so much better to pose your medical questions here.
    Agreed, however Rick is right insofar as Lyme recearch and recommendations have changed much over the years and not all medical professionals are up to date, particularly if they are not in an area where Lyme is endemic.

There is some merit to inquiring with a group like this to find what advice others have been given by their doctors. With the caveat that nothing should be relied upon until it has been separately verified and discussed with a medical professional.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Agreed, however Rick is right insofar as Lyme recearch and recommendations have changed much over the years and not all medical professionals are up to date, particularly if they are not in an area where Lyme is endemic.

There is some merit to inquiring with a group like this to find what advice others have been given by their doctors. With the caveat that nothing should be relied upon until it has been separately verified and discussed with a medical professional.
    The tricky thing about antibiotics is what is best for society as a group, might not be best for any one individual.

Doctors come down differently on how to find a balance.

Do you want a Doctor who errs on the side of your health, or on the community’s health?

Or one that just follows the CDC’s latest recommendation?

Those who see their go-to Doctor as an all-knowing oracle of truth and wisdom, are likely folks who have never experienced serious health issues.

........Those who see their go-to Doctor as an all-knowing oracle of truth and wisdom, are likely folks who have never experienced serious health issues.
    I hear you. A good doctor knows the limitations of their knowledge and experience and seeks more knowledgeable sources when they reach the edge of their experience and knowledge. To do otherwise is a disservice to their patient and themselves.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Those who see their go-to Doctor as an all-knowing oracle of truth and wisdom, are likely folks who have never experienced serious health issues.
    Those who come here, or any internet site, seeking medical advice from anonymous poster are folks who really have no clue.

Not happy with your doctor's advice, find another doctor. Asking the local grocer, mechanic, fish monger or tailor about health care rather than a healthcare proffessional is simply unwise.

We're all going to die from pimples in 30yrs from over prescription of antibiotics.

I make it a point not to take antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary.So far I have had two tick bites that required treatment.I now treat my clothes with permethrin and also take some supplements which I believe repel mosquitoes at least.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Those who come here, or any internet site, seeking medical advice from anonymous poster are folks who really have no clue.

Not happy with your doctor's advice, find another doctor. Asking the local grocer, mechanic, fish monger or tailor about health care rather than a healthcare proffessional is simply unwise.

Too bad this thread morphed in the way it did, rather than reveal specifics on what each of our Doctors have recommended to us.

Last year a close family member was prescribed about a two weeks course (not sure if Doxy or something else) of antibiotics for an embedded tick — even though there were no’s signs of infection.

A couple years ago my own/different physician gave me prescription for two pills for a tick that had been embedded on me for just under 3-days.

I know that others have been told to take a wait and see approach in similar situations.

There is no way I can say which Doctor was “ more right”, only that their approaches were very different.

There is no way I can say which Doctor was “ more right”, only that their approaches were very different.
    Exactly, my point.

If both patients had favorable outcomes, both doctor's treatments were "right".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++