WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pole sacks?

Default Pole sacks?

So in the never-ending change & evolution of my hiking (or rather, packing) style, I am starting to carry my tent poles separate from the body of my tent: I am putting them in one of the side pockets, secured in place with compression straps. But I am starting to worry that I might end up regretting this if the pole ends start to aggravate a hole in the mesh of the pocket. So I am pondering the relative merits of putting them into a separate pole bag to protect the pack's mesh pocket.

On the one hand it feels like it will just be one more thing to buy and keep track of, and on the other hand it feels like that minor irritation would be worth it to save holes in the mesh of my pack.

Seems like a good cost-to-benefit ratio, but I'm curious what others have experienced or would recommend?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I use one for my bridge hammock spreader bars and tarp poles. Fits nicely in side pocket of my pack under the compression cording. Got it from ZPacks. Light weight and I like wrapping the elastic draw cord around it to keep everything tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    . . . So I am pondering the relative merits of putting them into a separate pole bag to protect the pack's mesh pocket. . .
    Make sure it's a Kevlar bag. ;-)

I don't know how much a stuff sack would protect your mesh pocket. The pole ends would still provide a hard lump to rub against. You might be able to press the pole ends into a wad of raincoat, or rain kilt, or ground sheet, or something that would have more padding than a single layer of a pole bag. Or, you might just figure nothing lasts forever and not worry about it too much.

If I put poles down the side of my bag and into the mesh pockets, I hold the poles in place with my compression straps so they don't push into the bottom of the pocket, just set near it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Put the tent pole tips in an old soft fabric eyeglass or Earbuds or Tracfone pouch(for storing ear phs) that has a draw string. I use one for tent stakes.

I sewed a simple pole sleeve from some tyvek mailing envelopes. Light, durable, and free from the USPS.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    I sewed a simple pole sleeve from some tyvek... Light, durable,...
    When sewing my ground sheet from a large piece of housewrap, I also made a pole sleeve from it.
    Easy and fun work.
    I've added a nice string around the top rim including a small plastic lock and made a separate loop in the very same string to add a small biner to hook to the pack.
    Just to make sure to never lose the poles by accident.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I carry my tent poles in my hands. (And I use the wrist loops - to ignite a different argument )

That is to say, my tent is trekking-pole-supported.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Make sure it's a Kevlar bag. ;-)

I don't know how much a stuff sack would protect your mesh pocket. The pole ends would still provide a hard lump to rub against. You might be able to press the pole ends into a wad of raincoat, or rain kilt, or ground sheet, or something that would have more padding than a single layer of a pole bag. Or, you might just figure nothing lasts forever and not worry about it too much.

If I put poles down the side of my bag and into the mesh pockets, I hold the poles in place with my compression straps so they don't push into the bottom of the pocket, just set near it.
    Just theorizing for brainstorming purposes, but I was thinking along the same lines. I remember the nylon pole sack for my old tent's poles....it had holes worn in the ends from those ends poking and causing rub points....It's still a sharp edged lump with one layer of thin fabric. I'm picturing some sort of padding....like for instance one of those neoprene beer coozie things, except just the right size to fit the wad of poles

How about a leather/canvass work glove? Pole ends fit in the fingers and once in, the glove and pole can be stuffed into the pocket.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I think I'm going to try cutting down a Smartwater bottle (just 3" high or so), drill a few drain holes in the bottom, and put that into the mesh pocket. Thinking the pole ends might ride in that "cup" and avoid abrasion on the mesh pocket. I'll see how that works out.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Thanks all for your feedback.

I think I'm going to try cutting down a Smartwater bottle (just 3" high or so), drill a few drain holes in the bottom, and put that into the mesh pocket. Thinking the pole ends might ride in that "cup" and avoid abrasion on the mesh pocket. I'll see how that works out.
    If your cut-down bottle is shorter than the height of your mesh pocket, I think you have more to worry about with the cut edge of the water bottle than whether the bottom of it will keep the pole tips from abrading. Consider running some tape around the edge of where you cut down the water bottle, so it isn't sharp against your mesh pocket.

Personally I like the idea of going with some tyvek (preferably used - from a package you've received, not "liberated" from a USPO), and maybe wrapping it around the pole tips and securing with a rubber band or some loop of shock cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    If your cut-down bottle is shorter than the height of your mesh pocket, I think you have more to worry about with the cut edge of the water bottle than whether the bottom of it will keep the pole tips from abrading. Consider running some tape around the edge of where you cut down the water bottle, so it isn't sharp against your mesh pocket.

Personally I like the idea of going with some tyvek (preferably used - from a package you've received, not "liberated" from a USPO), and maybe wrapping it around the pole tips and securing with a rubber band or some loop of shock cord.
    Good thought about the edges of the bottle, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Funny thing is, I was just hating myself for having tossed a "useless" scrap of Tyvek a few months ago...it would have been perfect to sew up as a quiver for my poles.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

At Tarptent we have a new ready made Pole Pouch.
    Originally designed with the touring bike brigade in mind, it can be used just to store the pole separately in or out of the pack.
    https://www.tarptent.com/product/polepouch/
    franco@tarptent

should be easy to make for the DIY guys.

Thank you Franco -- that looks pretty nice.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I carry my tent poles in my hands. (And I use the wrist loops - to ignite a different argument )

That is to say, my tent is trekking-pole-supported.
    Ditto.
    The poles for the tent pole supported tent go in the sack furnished by the manufacturer.
    Surprise! The original pole sack works!
    One more question that didn’t need to be asked.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The poles for the tent pole supported tent go in the sack furnished by the manufacturer.
    Surprise! The original pole sack works!
    My last two tents didn't come with pole sacks furnished by the manufacturer, so Surprise! The "original pole sack" really hasn't worked too well for me.

One more question that didn’t need to be asked.
    My question actually rewarded me with some helpful replies. Perhaps it was just a question you didn't need to answer.

Thanks for your time, though.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

My last 3 tents came with poles and pole sacks. One of the pole sacks was ingenious. It was divided into a section for the poles and a section for the supplied Easton tubular stakes.
    Wayne

I made a tent pole bag from super bright yellow fabric. I can see it out of the corner of my eye as I hike, and I periodically "take attendance" of my poles. I've known a few people who have forgotten their poles or stakes, andjust being able to see the bag periodically gives me confidence that they are still there. I often, though not always, wrap the draw cord around a strap on my pack so they can't escape if they manage to wiggle free. I like the idea of using a cut off water bottle or bit of Tyvek to line the side pocket of the pack. I carry a cut off bottle as a way to scoop water out of water sources that don't yield their water easily, so I may just put the poles in that now and see how it works. Thanks for sharing that!

My last 3 tents came with poles and pole sacks. One of the pole sacks was ingenious. It was divided into a section for the poles and a section for the supplied Easton tubular stakes.
    Wayne
    Now that sounds convenient. Of course, then I'd probably find myself angsting over how to carry my stakes separately....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I made a tent pole bag from super bright yellow fabric. I can see it out of the corner of my eye as I hike, and I periodically "take attendance" of my poles. I've known a few people who have forgotten their poles or stakes, andjust being able to see the bag periodically gives me confidence that they are still there. I often, though not always, wrap the draw cord around a strap on my pack so they can't escape if they manage to wiggle free. I like the idea of using a cut off water bottle or bit of Tyvek to line the side pocket of the pack. I carry a cut off bottle as a way to scoop water out of water sources that don't yield their water easily, so I may just put the poles in that now and see how it works. Thanks for sharing that!
    Geez I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd reached the end of a long day (or even just mid-day!) and discovered that my poles - or stakes, or just about anything else - was missing! I know that whenever I leave in the morning or stop for breaks, I must seem completely neurotic as I check, re-check, pat myself down and spin around in circles making sure that I have everything.... (I am completely neurotic, but I'm sure there's another thread for that.)

I do attach idiot cords for a couple things to my pack, so this will be one more!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++