WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Body Weight a Year After Your Thru-hike

Please share your body weight the before, end and one year after your Thru-hike.

For me (5'7"),
    Before: 130
    End: 127
    One Year After: 135

5'9"
    Before: 200 lbs
    End: 165lbs
    After 180lbs

You're never going to get accurate data on this survey, although it would be enlightening if you did.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    You're never going to get accurate data on this survey, although it would be enlightening if you did.
    Well, possible, depends on what you call "accurate". Any answer I might give would only be to within maybe 3-5 pounds or so, probably accurate enough for the OP's question.

But the extra question that would have to be asked is if the respondent was doing another long distance hike the following year or not. If so, of course, their weight would probably be low 12 months after completing a previous thru hike.

So, I do long distance hikes pretty much every year, my AT before was 6'1" and 185lb, after 180, a year later, 180 again, after a series of shorter long hikes. I'm sure I would be back at 185 or above 12 months later if I wasn't doing other long hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ...But the extra question that would have to be asked is if the respondent was doing another long distance hike the following year or not. If so, of course, their weight would probably be low 12 months after completing a previous thru hike.

So, I do long distance hikes pretty much every year, my AT before was 6'1" and 185lb, after 180, a year later, 180 again, after a series of shorter long hikes. I'm sure I would be back at 185 or above 12 months later if I wasn't doing other long hikes.
    CR brings up important criteria. His answer should be taken in context of his experience. Since he hikes so much he has likely learned a few things about maintaining his wt. I'm very much in that same category. Next, it's my guesstimate, like CR, we dont let ourselves fall far out of good physical condition. I'm strongly guessing CR does, and I certainly do, are not In that context we probably both tend to on and off trail maintain narrow margins maybe 10-15% of our long time body wt. I dont know if CR does this but I definitely let hiking conditions dictate pace and distance. I'm not a steady state balls always to the wall hiker. All sorts of things like kit wt, weather, tread conditions or no tread, elev, etc alter these factors. This directly affects body wt.

First real thru-hike of appreciable distance(beyond 200 miles) was the AT. Started really not in hiking or LD hiking shape at a lean 194 lbs(was recovering from a car accident). Got down to 178 lbs at the lowest. Better adjusted nutrition(NOT JUST CALORIC INTAKE) and pace - with max output for the input strategy finishing at MT K at 186 lbs. Weighed myself naked at the start, through the hike, and in Millinocket.

I disagree with CR that everyone keeps the wt off the post 12 months of their first thru-hike if it's the AT or of AT length. I note quite a few - I will say MOST, regain wt after their first thru hikes of AT duration. Many new thrus don't make the long term nutritional adjustments post AT thru hike, most particularly those who are in the habit of gorging on junk food. MANY were into junk food pre hike. They did so perceiving themselves doing OK with the junk food diet during their LD hikes. Then, they continue with it similarly post hike, FEEDING THEIR JUNK FOOD HABITS, where it gets them into health AND BODY WT ISSUES.

Garlic
    Images

150# before, after, and still the same ten years later. Been that way since high school, 43 years ago.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If he's as frugal and a Luddite as he's stated strongly suspected garlic man, a firefighter, would be there too.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If he's as frugal and a Luddite as he's stated strongly suspected garlic man, a firefighter, would be there too.
    Definitely, tall man.

I wonder if anyone has gotten taller or shorter after a hike?

As we age, my two sedentary brothers (one younger, one older) that used to be taller than I am are now looking up at me. My 91 year old mother noticed that the other day. I think obsessive walking and cycling may be keeping me taller.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Definitely, tall man.

As we age, my two sedentary brothers (one younger, one older) that used to be taller than I am are now looking up at me. My 91 year old mother noticed that the other day. I think obsessive walking and cycling may be keeping me taller.
    Hmmmm... I wonder too. But, in the opposite direction, I have lost about 3/4" (used to be a solid 6-1, now just barely over 6-0), best I can tell, over the last 10 years or so. Probably just O.L.D. though.

Go UL. Get a haircut. It conserves your height. Still 6'4".

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Definitely, tall man.

Bone density is the key and the amount of calcium intake has nothing to do with it. As one gets older, it becomes more important. If you keep yours, while the other doesn't, you will definitely be taller assuming you had identical height years ago.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

crucial ingredient HEIGHT with weight. 160 pounds is super different if you're 5 ft 8 vs 6 ft 3!

i :

6 ft 2 147 lbs before
    same after
    same a year after
    same now
    same old, same old!

i started this!! : https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...obo?highlight=

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

6’4”

Before 230, 12% body fat
    By CT 185
    By Katahdin 200
    A few weeks after 220, 12% body fat
    15 years later 250, 14% body fat
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

How’d all you people get so tall in the first place?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Measured from the top of the backpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Journal Entries
    Images

5'7"
    170 start
    148 End
    175 a year later
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

5'9"
    192 start
    160 end
    182 a year later

++ New Posts ++