WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

I'd feel better if almost FIFTEEN PERCENT of the customer reviews weren't 1-Star!!! Seems apropos of the old maxim "you get what you pay for"?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    They're even cheaper ($9, shipped) right now, so you've got little to lose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    They're even cheaper ($9, shipped) right now, so you've got little to lose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    And the coupons work (I just tried the 30% off with just one in the cart, total was $6.29)

• Save 20% each on Qualifying items offered by I-Shine when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code LVVE588T at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    • Save 30% each on Qualifying items offered by I-Shine when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code AXGBR7DS at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)

BRS 3000T- I bought one a couple of years ago, played with it at home using various brands of fuel SnowPeak, MSR and Jetboil. I really think I got a bad stove, it spits and sputters no matter which canister I tried, buy cheap, get cheap. I've since moved on from canister stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'd feel better if almost FIFTEEN PERCENT of the customer reviews weren't 1-Star!!! Seems apropos of the old maxim "you get what you pay for"?
    It appears that there are Chinese knock-offs of even this Chinese stove! When I bought mine, I found multiple sellers, at different price points, but I noticed that some of the product images weren't quite the same among the different offerings. The logo on the side was either different or obscured.

Then, comparing the reviews, I noticed that there was a difference in the average rating for these stoves, with the one that was clearly pictured to be the BRS-3000T stove being both more expensive and higher rated. So I ended up buying that one rather than take the chance that the cheaper stove was inferior in quality.

After looking at the link above, I see that there is nothing in the picture to suggest it's the exact same BRS-3000T stove. Funny enough, the "color" is listed as being BRS-3000T, but stamped on the stove is "FOME".

The one I bought was this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T.../dp/B06XNLSNFR

which as you'll see costs more and has higher average rating (only 8% one-star reviews). Said to be BRS brand too.

-

for 9$ and about an ounce I think I will carry one to back up fuel tabs - just buy a canister if needed

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    for 9$ and about an ounce I think I will carry one to back up fuel tabs - just buy a canister if needed
    Interesting perspective. I always figure that my backup for my simplest stove system is eating my food cold given that cold food isn't all that awful to begin with. And why would one need a backup for fuel tabs? Wouldn't a backup for fuel tabs be a couple more fuel tabs? Do you have tabs that get clogged or break? ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

-

fuel tabs are not popular - miss a mail drop or run into a sold out supplier

likely will try it once

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    And the coupons work (I just tried the 30% off with just one in the cart, total was $6.29)

• Save 20% each on Qualifying items offered by I-Shine when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code LVVE588T at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    • Save 30% each on Qualifying items offered by I-Shine when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code AXGBR7DS at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
    Thanks for that, the coupon worked for me too. For six bucks you can't go wrong. I'll throw it in the truck with a couple of almost empty canisters just for emergencies.

I bought a BRS A while back for me, and recently a knock off for my grandson, and so far they have performed well. just using ours to boil water. I made a pot cozy and use it as a wind diverter while boiling, and that seems to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Interesting perspective. I always figure that my backup for my simplest stove system is eating my food cold given that cold food isn't all that awful to begin with. And why would one need a backup for fuel tabs? Wouldn't a backup for fuel tabs be a couple more fuel tabs? Do you have tabs that get clogged or break? ;-)
    lol, yeah when I'm on an Esbit kick, as I am this year, I figure out my daily needs and just carry a couple of extra tabs. An ounce, literally, of insurance. Needed one once when I knocked over my little Toaks 550.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    lol, yeah when I'm on an Esbit kick, as I am this year, I figure out my daily needs and just carry a couple of extra tabs. . .
    Yeah, I like Esbit as fire starter, so I often keep a tab or two in my winter emergency/first aid kit just to make starting fires in wet weather easy instead of challenging. Then, it's also backup for my stove if I need/want it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    there is nothing in the picture to suggest it's the exact same BRS-3000T stove. Funny enough, the "color" is listed as being BRS-3000T, but stamped on the stove is "FOME".
    I am a longtime BRS-3000T fan, but even I would draw the line at a knockoff of such a rock-bottom minimalist piece of gear. Hey, I have my standards!

Unless it were lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    14% 1 star...yes, not good.... but it's currently out of a total of only 21 reviews. Hardly a decent sampling. What is that, less than three 1-star ratings?

I lean on the reviews quite a bit when buying. It's a huge reason I like amazon so much because of the high volume of people giving reviews. But even the version of this stove I bought, at 188 reviews isn't a huge sampling. Still, at 188 reviews currently, it's still not a lot but I think the info is likely a bit more reliable.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

And yeah, the logo on mine looks different I think than the other one mentioned. I notic3ed that when shopping for this a while back....lts of different ones all claiming to be the same "brand" and model number. I don't understand that really, just assume that the Chicoms probably don't have big brand control, or whatever, over there. Maybe it's like a generic store brand/private label kind of thing....?

-

ordered and got the FOME, 9$ delivered - tried it out on a walmart colman canister - worked fine, put it in the fuel tab kitchen as planned

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I lean on the reviews quite a bit when buying. It's a huge reason I like amazon so much because of the high volume of people giving reviews.
    I used to feel the same way, but have come to be skeptical of the authenticity of many reviews, esp if you see a book review that says, "Good product, works great.", or super-short, unhelpful reviews by usernames that only have one review, or only reviews like that. etc. You might want to visit fakespot.com and let it evaluate the reviews for a given product.

yeah, my intuition is pretty good at spotting those fake reviews.... Sometimes they are painfully obvious by the seller or a friend of.
    That's why with only a handful of reviews the sample size is just too small.

The others that can often be spotted are folks that clearly had unrealistic expectations, or are very likely to have misused a product in some way. And for some products it wouldn't be too surprising to have a few lemons... I think these little Chinese cheapy stoves might fall into that category....

I got my Fome branded BRS today. Had a little trouble with one of the supports not being able to fully open. Had to fiddle with it and apply some sandpaper to the tiny nub that gives it resistance when open. Eventually got it to work, and after about 50 times working it back and forth it is fine. Other than branding, it is identical to my original BRS. It fit my Wal-Mart canister, and burns just like the BRS. For $6.50 after the coupon, it is a bargain.

Default BRS-3000T Titanium Stove

I put an Optimus windscreen on mine and it works great.

Images

Well, I did decide to experiment with an actual BRS-3000T from Amazon. But I guess the shipment gods said "we'll protect you from yourself!" Got an email notice saying it'd be delivered yesterday, same day I got this from Amazon:

Hello Raymond Myers,

We're writing about the order # 112-5356539-2322637

Amazon Logistics let us know that the package was either lost in transit or damaged and as a result, it won't be delivered.

We would like to apologize for this error on behalf of Amazon Logistics.

You will be refunded for the original shipment within 2-3 days business days after we receive it.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I just ordered one of these and it should be in the mail by the weekend.
    I have read many good reviews and am looking forward to trying it out.
    Once i do give it a couple of runs ill be sure to post back here.

I've had one for about 3 years now. Only canister stove i've ever owned. Love it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++