WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Snow on the TRT

Default Snow on the TRT

I'm planning to hike the TRT starting June 17. Sounds like the Sierra's have a below normal snowpack. I'm thinking I will hit some snow but should be fairly minimal, however I am not familiar with the TRT. Will I be ok starting that early this year? My plan is to start at Tahoe Meadows. Still haven't decided which direction to hike. Any input on snow conditions and any other advice for a first time TRT hiker would be appreciated. I could start it a little later, around July 8th but temps would be cooler in June.

I doubt you'll see more than a few patches of snow at best. When I hiked in a previous low snow year, I started on the 21st. I had a few 20ft patches on the southern side (I started SE side) and didn't really see much anywhere else (as it likely melted off before I got there). I would not worry about snow. But if you are starting in Tahoe Meadows, just go clockwise if you are still worried. I think the eastern side has the least snow. Just my opinion, but I think the climbs are more spread out going that direction anyway.

https://tahoerimtrail.org/current-trail-conditions/

Currently more snow than has been said. Look at the last reporting dates. These reports were mostly in the past first wk of June. I'd still expect snow on the west side at highest elevations and on the north sides in 7 days.

Default Snow on the TRT

Yes on DW's link for snow conditions.
    If you're want to hike thru Tahoe Meadows - which is beautiful - if it's not covered in snow - you'll be hiking clockwise, going south on the east side of the lake. From the T.M. trailhead, if you wanted to go in the opposite direction, you'd walk up the road , maybe a mile if that far, to the Mt. Rose trailhead.
    I've done 1/2 that trail and plan to do the rest (Kingsberry South to Tahoe City clockwise) after the snow is gone in late July or August. Hope I can do it all in one shot. I've only done one long hike (well, 80 miles - for me, that's a long hike), before.

Default Snow on the TRT

correction: if I was going to go counter-clockwise from T.M, I'd actually just start at Mt. Rose trailhead.

Thanks for the info everyone. Turns out I won't be able to get things thrown together in time to start this weekend. I rescheduled to start on July 7th, the next available week I have. This will give me more time to get logistics sorted out. Should be very minimal snow by then. What are the bugs like in early July? If it is like most places in the Rockies then there should be plenty.

My experience in mid July was no mosquitoes on the NV side but a fair amount on the CA side. Dry on the east side and wet on the west.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

My past experience with that trail condition link was it wasn't accurate at all as it made it seem like I was going to hit a lot more snow then I did in 2014. Perhaps the snow just melts off fast in June (oh wait it does). When I hiked the PCT in an average snow year, a single week in June made a huge difference in what I faced compared to others a week ahead of me. I stick by my earlier assessment of what conditions are likely to be by the 2.5 to 3rd week of June which was the OP's original starting time. It also factors in my Memorial weekend trip to the Sierra Nevada further south going over 10,000 ft in elevation.

When I was hiking over Memorial Day, I was really surprised at the lack of any mosquitoes; especially in the lower elevations. That was a first for spring n the 20+ years I've been hiking in the Sierra. That said, I would never count on there not being mosquitoes in late June/early July. The western side of the lake will have the worst bugs as its the wettest part. I'd expect you will need to either cover up with permithrin treated clothing (which works well for me in the Sierra) or have Deet for parts of your trip.

++ New Posts ++