WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Last Minute Plans-PEN MAR to DUNCANNON

We were supposed to head up to New England but oh well, PA it is. Does anyone know of a backpackers site in the long flat stretch between Alex Kennedy shelter and Darlington shelter? I've been trying to research here but no luck and this is a last minute change in plans and we hope to leave tomorrow morning. Thanks for any help.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

There is no camping thru there. Your best bet would be pitching tents at the ATC barn/ farm house that is about halfway thru...Will edit with more details in a moment

The Scott farm - MM 1057.9 in Guthooks. There is tap water and right next to the Conodoguinet creek.

IMG_4897.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-07-2018 at 16:23.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Options are few. You could get off at RT. 11 in Carlisle and take a short walk to a motel. Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    There is no camping thru there. Your best bet would be pitching tents at the ATC barn/ farm house that is about halfway thru...Will edit with more details in a moment

The Scott farm - MM 1057.9 in Guthooks. There is tap water and right next to the Conodoguinet creek.

IMG_4897.JPG
    According to AWOL's book there is no camping there.

It's a long walk, but an easy one to cross the valley in one go. Just get a really early start as there isn't much shade for much of it.

There is a tenting area just before Boiling Springs, but it's right next to the RR tracks and the freight trains will keep you up all night. The only other option is a motel room at RT11. (go west, (left) to find the motels)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thank you to all for your responses. We probably will opt for pushing through that section and be done with it.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Thank you to all for your responses. We probably will opt for pushing through that section and be done with it.
    It is super cruisy. If it's a hot day get going early.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

PenMar to Duncannon how many shelters are there and how far apart are they? Do you have to tent at a shelter or can you just find a spot off the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by erieite View Post
    PenMar to Duncannon how many shelters are there and how far apart are they? Do you have to tent at a shelter or can you just find a spot off the trail?
    There are many shelters, some are close together, some are farther apart. While you can find a spot off the trail here and there, your better off at shelters as you have a privy for safe disposal of human waste, a reliable water source (usually) and a picnic table to sit and cook dinner at. If you do camp between shelters, please use a spot which has been well used before and don't try to make your own space. Going off trail into the brush increases your risk of encountering Lyme disease ticks.

Invest in a guide book for details.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Options are few. You could get off at RT. 11 in Carlisle and take a short walk to a motel. Iceman
    I stayed at a motel (I think it was Quality Inn) next to Middlesex Diner. I'm not sure the food is all that much better than any diner, but I have to say it was spectacular the evening and morning I ate there. This was the end of a section. I took a local bus to Harrisburg to connect to Greyhound back to DC. Way back in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by erieite View Post
    It is pretty easy walking- when I did Pen Mar to Duncannon in 2018 I camped at shelters:

Rocky Mtn Shelter
    Toms Run Shelter
    Alec Kennedy Shelter
    Darlington Shelter

As I remember from Alec Kennedy to Darlington was +/- 18 relatively easy miles. I think the last 2 were a bit of a grind as you had to carry water because the shelter is often dry.

I did the ridge to ridge walk on a very hot day, that last hike up to the Darlington Shelter was a rough one after getting parboiled all day. There is water along this section but a lot of its sketchy due to ag uses nearby. We filled up at the tap in Boiling Springs and the Scott farm tap which was greatly appreciated

There is a good spring right before you make the last climb to Darlington shelter, maybe a mile before you get there.

++ New Posts ++