WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear's Den Hostel resupply And Blackburn Center

Most of the advantages of Bear's Den Hostel are well noted.
    Mentioned is limited resupply for hikers.
    Just how limited? Just snacks like candy, protein bars?
    fruit? dried packaged meals, Knorr. pb, jelly, bread?
    Anything to build a decent meal later on the trail?

And just how available are any meals or foods at Blackburn Center?
    There are stories of hikers coming out of a rainstorm to be feted with a hot meal, yet this seems to be an exception.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Most of the advantages of Bear's Den Hostel are well noted.
    Mentioned is limited resupply for hikers.
    Just how limited? Just snacks like candy, protein bars?
    fruit? dried packaged meals, Knorr. pb, jelly, bread?
    Anything to build a decent meal later on the trail?

And just how available are any meals or foods at Blackburn Center?
    There are stories of hikers coming out of a rainstorm to be feted with a hot meal, yet this seems to be an exception.
    never been to blackburn. to me it's in an odd spot, too close to other, more easily accessible places to stop (its also downhill a ways off the AT). i think the thing with getting a free hot meal is just a roll of the dice, no way to predict it and not sure how comon it is.

i have been to bear's den. i dont recall their being any resupply. so there probably is something if they say there is but it is very minimal.

but being in between two major towns that are.... 50?... miles apart, i'm not sure thats a place where major resupply should be an issue.

Images

Blackburn has a full kitchen for hikers to cook meals they bring in with them. Only time I actually stayed there the caretaker served spaghetti and salad for the evening meal. Overall it's a relaxing place to chill even on a pass through hike but the climb back to the trail gets is steep.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I have stayed at both.

Blackburn: To me it was nothing more then a shelter, with running water.

Bears Den: They have Pizza's and icecream and pancakes for breakfast. I am unfamiliar if they have an actual resupply. The website provides no details about this.
    Address:
    18393 Blueridge Mountain Road
    Bluemont, VA 20135
    Phone:
    540-554-8708
    E-mail:
    [email protected]
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Bears Den has pizza, pop, and snacks for sale. It has a small resupply counter - I remember seeing things like tuna, instant potatoes, etc. I don’t remember it looking like a good place for a resupply. It seemed to be more of a place to get a few incidentals and maybe a meal.

Blackburn is located a bit downhill from the AT. It’s a really nice house/cabin and the caretaker always leaves out iced tea, lemonade, and coffee. There’s a hose with fresh water and I think there’s also an outdoor shower available. I don’t remember seeing any resupply items for sale.

Both locations are nice for a lunch or overnight stop. I wouldn’t recommend planning on either to be used as a sole resupply option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walked by both places this spring. Blackburn was effectively closed for renovations and I didn't need to stop at Bears Den. I did visit the Horseshoe pub that afternoon for a burger. (A couple of miles north of Bears den and 0.3 down a side road at the Snickers gap road crossing).

The one time I did stay at both places (some years ago) we got a free spaghetti dinner at the Blackburn center. Bears Den has a "hiker special" with a frozen pizza and pint of ice cream for a few extra dollars. I seem to remember breakfast was included too. Don't remember what they had for "resupply" but it was pretty basic. Anyway, I wouldn't count on them for that.

If you stay at Bears Den, you definitely don't need a dinner for that night and it's possible you can get a dinner at Blackburn too, but that one depends on the caretaker and if they are there or not when you get there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I am wondering what I could pick up to supplement supper at either Blackburn T. C. or David Lesser Shelter.
    Goal is just Harper's Ferry.

Thanks for the info.

The David Lesser shelter is just a shelter in the woods. Blackburn doesn't sell anything. The Blackburn center is a half mile down a really steep trail, so it's not worth the effort to go there unless you really have to.

Stopping at Bears Den gets you a dinner and breakfast, which eliminates one day of food to carry. You could probably send them a package, which would be the best option for getting extra food there. You could also call them and ask what they stock for resupply.

If this is a section hike from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, keep in mind this is a fairly difficult section of trail with a lot of ups and downs aka "the roller coaster". I did it in 4 days, but hit the trail at Harpers Ferry in pretty good shape and in cool weather. I'm also 10 years younger then you. The last 10 miles to HF is relatively level, but very rocky so you have to watch your footing. I did a lot of stumbling doing this section.

Sorry, I now realize your asking about what you could get at Bears Den to supplement dinner at the other places.

Blackburn is a nice place to stop, but I wouldn't count on any kind of resupply. When I was there last October, the caretakers were away for the weekend, but the porch was open. You can get water, power up your electronics, and there is a solar shower. It is indeed a steep walk to & from.

Bear's Den resupply is quite limited: I recall seeing some Cliff bars, Snickers, tuna, and maybe some Knorr sides...not really anything more than that. If staying overnight, they offer frozen pizza, ice cream, and make-your-own pancakes in the morning.

I do recall noticing what appeared to be several maildrop boxes at Bear's Den, however I don't know if they require that you stay in order for them to hold a maildrop.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

If you’re in need of resupply prior to Harpers Ferry, maybe the convenience store about 0.3 mike road walk east of Key’s Gap (route 9) would work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    If you’re in need of resupply prior to Harpers Ferry, maybe the convenience store about 0.3 mike road walk east of Key’s Gap (route 9) would work for you?

Edit. Oops... didn’t realize that this is really close to harpers Ferry so probably not what you’re looking for.

Edit. Oops... didn’t realize that this is really close to harpers Ferry so probably not what you’re looking for.
    It's also apparently a very dangerous road to walk. Narrow, no shoulders and blind curves. And of course, people driving way too fast on it.

It's also apparently a very dangerous road to walk. Narrow, no shoulders and blind curves. And of course, people driving way too fast on it.

Images

Blackburn years ago used to have a pig roast every year, sometime in the fall ... just like anything else, timing is everything .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++