WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default To all the stop and smell the roses crowd

It is now proven that you should be going faster. Lace up your trail runners and get moving. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...ife-2018-06-05

But if you insist on smelling flowers at least make sure you aren't sniffing bees.
    10302016 472.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It is now proven that you should be going faster. Lace up your trail runners and get moving. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...ife-2018-06-05

But if you insist on smelling flowers at least make sure you aren't sniffing bees.
    10302016 472.JPG
    the stop and smell the roses crowd doesnt walk slow. if anything they walk too fast. then get tired and have to stop. that or theyre too content to sit around for 4 hours staring into space or chatting about nothing with fellow hikers.

i just did a 10 day trip. everyday, several thrus pass me motoring along, panting, sweating. eventually i find them sitting still somewhere and pass them. this repeats all day long. eventually at the end of the day they stop for good and i do 4-6 more miles. happened the whole hike. the people i saw on day 1 were probably 50 miles back by the end.

last year on a hike (not on the AT) a man who was panting and sweating profusely told me that **I** looked tired. presumably because i was walking slowly. i got a kick out out of that.

no one can actually walk slow enough to only do 8 or 10 miles a day on even moderate terrain. the stop and smell the roses crowd is goofing off and not hiking. which i guess is what the term implies.

Images

"No rose without a thorn , French proverb" sometimes also means a rose with a suddenly agitated stinging bee . Ironically enough, this guy has gaiters like mine, except mine are black with white skulls.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Actually when bees are actively feeding, you can touch them on the back, they’re very docile...speaking from first hand experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Actually when bees are actively feeding, you can touch them on the back, they’re very docile...speaking from first hand experience.
    Vehwee intuuhwesting, (My best Elmer Fudd voice)
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

At least they are not having conversations with the roses:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...photo-15369733

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

10302016 472.JPG
    You can tell from the pack size that’s clearly a no-nothing dayhiker.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

That's the goofiest pic of anyone snorting a flower while ripping one of all time Malto.

Interesting link, but there's another interpretation: healthier people can walk faster than those are less healthy.

So, walking faster doesn't causepeople to be healthy. Instead, it could be the other way around, or it is due to some other factor (underlying activity levels, etc.).

Essentially, correlation doesn't prove causation.

O.K., off my soap-box now...
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Interesting link, but there's another interpretation: healthier people can walk faster than those are less healthy.

So, walking faster doesn't causepeople to be healthy. Instead, it could be the other way around, or it is due to some other factor (underlying activity levels, etc.).

Amen to this. There could be a small cardio benefit but I suspect there is much more to the story.
    And to all the haters (Dogwood) this is a VERY rare picture. I will neither confirm nor deny that there was dual action going on. BUT, doesn't Skurka recommend smelling the roses and farting at the same time to be more efficient? Oh wait, that was pissing and walking, something I still haven't master or will even try.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Garlic
    Images

Essentially, correlation doesn't prove causation....
    I heard something similar a few years ago. A medical professional claimed to be able to tell how long a patient would live by how fast the patient walked.

Along those lines, does anyone else get impatient with the normal walking speed of the general public? (One exception is commuters using public transport in a large city. There are some fast walkers near Union Station in Chicago, for instance.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have no idea what this thread is about
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I have no idea what this thread is about
    something about atomic farts looking like pee-on-yur-knees while walking I think.
    ABD4960E-8A11-446B-84F8-ACFF578804AE.jpeg

To remain healthy you only need to be faster than the slowest person in the group at all times. That way the bear eats you last. :-)

You may or may not find atomic farting helpful in this endeavor.

the correct term is huffing bees.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    To remain healthy you only need to be faster than the slowest person in the group at all times. That way the bear eats you last. :-)

You may or may not find atomic farting helpful in this endeavor.
    i employ “the crop dust” technique when I come across stragglers.

It's the milkweed flowers that get me. They smell soooooo good but they are always covered with bees.

BTW, I'm fairly sure they didn't test the effect of walking "slowly" for 12 hours per day carrying a 20 lb load up and down mountains.

the article was for the people who waddle from car to building, from building to car
    Let me go

Images

The reason I can only cover 12-15 miles/day isn't because I walk slowly, it's because of my short, fat legs.

Seriously, 30" in-seam is the shortest men's pants you can typically find, and they're always a little long and a bit snug around the thighs.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++